What do u do with ur pets while cruising?

LiveUrlife2

Hi everyone!!! So we are going on our first cruise as a family

With our children in December which if course we are so excited!!! and I'am wondering wht we should

Do about our dog. We r going on a 5 night cruise n leaving the day before bc we are driving to SC so we would need to leave our dog for 6 days!

There is a kennel that charges $25/per day, and then there

Is a groomer that offers dog sitting at her house for $35/ per day and she only

Takes one dog at a time. So I was wondering what you guys do and what are

Ur experience with either options

TIA

We are lucky, we have family that comes out from Florida to Puppy Sit.:D

Sure it cost us a little extra but I have peace of mind knowing that someone I can really trust taking care of my Babies. We get a Cruise Alone and they get a free trip to Las Vegas!!!:D C.G.

We always kenneled our dog....I searched until I found the one that I liked....that meant visiting kennels!

We tried our next door neighbor dog-sitting once....it did NOT work! Even tho our dog knew and loved our neighbor, when we weren't there, she became VERY protective of our house! She wouldn't allow the neighbor in....and it stressed our poor dog, trying to defend her house!

So, kenneling was the best, safest option. We knew she was well-cared for, fed, watered, and exercised, without risk to her.

Go and check out several kennels and the pet sitter....do what feels right to you. Your dog will be fine.

We have a house sitter we have used for 5 years. Pet is much happier at home. We pay her what it would cost us to board........They stay here, bring in the mail and take care of the pet.........

My dog goes to daycare once a week and that place also does boarding. They have webcams so if I need a puppy fix, I check in to see how he's doing. The place I go to is manned 24 hours a day. It's costly but I know he's being well taken care of.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is one thing that limits our travel plans.

Our beast in residence is a rather large [120lbs] hound, that does not do well in kennels [true for the entire breed [Weimeriner] not just our dog].

We use a combination of a dog sitter for daytime visits, and a member of the neighbor's family spending the night in our guest room [the upstairs dog bed is between the master and guest room doors].

He's good for at most 8 days of that routine, so we are only planning long trips [land tour + transatlantic] for life 'post hound'.

We left our Old English Sheepdog (OES) for 6 weeks :eek: in our home and used a pet service that came to see him 3 times a day for a minimum of 30 minutes each visit. They fed him, walked him, gave him his pills, and played with him. He would definitely not have done well at a kennel. They even came by some extra times if it stormed so he wouldn't be frightened. We received emails from them every few days letting us know how he was doing. We had used them for several years for shorter trips and knew they were reliable.

Now we have two OES rescues who are much younger and terribly energetic. They need more attention than just 3 visits a day. In January we started taking them to a day care/kennel once a week for the day. (It was recommended by a neighbor who leaves their dog when they go away.) They love it there. Then we left them overnight once. Still happy. They have spent two nights there and been happy. We are going to increase to 3 nights this month, four nights in July, etc and think they will be acclimated for our 15-day cruise in the Fall.

I am so blessed to have friends who watch my three dogs in their home when my husband and I go out of town. They love my babies and take very good care of them. They do not want anything for watching them but I always have something delivered to them.

With our children in December which if course we are so excited!!! and I'am wondering wht we should

Do about our dog. We r going on a 5 night cruise n leaving the day before bc we are driving to SC so we would need to leave our dog for 6 days!

TIA

Take your groomer up on having your dog stay at her house. I am a dog sitter myself at my home and people love the idea that their dog is in a home enviornment. Go with the dog groomer's home.:) Plus that's a good price as well.

my mother thank goodness. In return we pay her cell phone bill every month and she gets really good Christmas/Mother's Day/Birthday gifts.

We also fenced in our yard when we got our two labs just so she would stay. She used to take the pomeranian, but we always had to board the 2 labs. She said if we fenced in it, she would watch all 3, so we did.

When the 12 year old pomeranian passes we will probably just start boarding the labs as mom will be getting to the point soon where she won't want to anymore. Until then i'm going to enjoy it.

TIA

I hire a cat/house sitter. It used to be former students [a perk of teaching high school!] who were in college and in need of extra cash. For the last couple of years I have used a friend of my daughter's - she stays at the house, so it doesn't look empty and the lord of the manor, Bingo, loves her. I pay $100/week.

383320_2581164081686_1295959386_n.jpg

We have family members that come to stay with the dogs the entire time we're gone. They're here most of the time with them, and definitely overnight, as they have quirks for getting to bed. The last time we boarded a dog, it took us weeks to get him back into his normal routine/self. As a note, we don't ask family this as a favor, as we think they should be compensated similarly as we would a kennel/boarding facility, and its worth it to us since we travel for business and pleasure.

If you have pets you have no business going on a cruise.

Yeah, cause they might be on one of those internet gambling sights with your credit card number playing Texas Hold 'em.:eek: (Wonder if there's a Gamblers Anonymous for dogs?):rolleyes:

Take your groomer up on having your dog stay at her house. I am a dog sitter myself at my home and people love the idea that their dog is in a home enviornment. Go with the dog groomer's home.:) Plus that's a good price as well.

Yes.....the groomer or someone similar

Research, ask friends, check Yelp.com etc.

Boarding at most "kennels", vets, etc. means a "dog in a box" or a cage, all day, and most boarding facilities and Vet Kennels leave the dogs alone for the WHOLE night.

Our dogs stay with a family that sounds like joie (above), boarding is their business on their property, basically in their home - we are blessed

I would book with your groomer IMMEDIATELY, I bet he/she is very in demand or get a referral from them

P.S. We also get emails from our doggies:)

TIA

www.dogvacay.com put in your zip code and find someone local to you. This is how I work from home :)

Archived