Different Experiences with Ships' Crew

One more vote for Jewel! We've found the crews on all of the Radiance class ships to be wonderful, but Jewel stands out.

Unfortunately, Allure (Sept 2012) was the biggest disappointment we've had with the staff. DH said it seemed like they had all just been told they were getting a 50% pay cut, there was such a general grump across the board.

It is interesting that so many of the positives relate to the Jewel, Freedom, and Enchantment. We've been on the Jewel twice, the Freedom twice, and the Enchantment once. Those five cruises would be my top rated cruises for customer service.

I haven't heard much on the low side of things here. The customer service on my recent trip on the Navigator out of New Orleans didn't impress me much. The same goes for my sailing on Radiance out of Tampa two years ago. Not that there was anything terrible, the crew just seemed to lack the energy and enthusiasm that the best sailings have.

I think that the Captain and the Cruise Director have a lot to do with the mood of the ship. The Captain sets the tone for the staff while the CD sets it for the Guests. Happy guests make for a happy crew and vice versa. When those two are pulling in the same direction and share a vision for what our experience as cruisers should be we get those outstanding vacations.

I wonder how it effects the mood of a ship when a well liked Captain or other Lead Staff member is away for vacation time. Do the "fill in" CDs or Captains have a rough time of it?

It is interesting that so many of the positives relate to the Jewel, Freedom, and Enchantment. We've been on the Jewel twice, the Freedom twice, and the Enchantment once. Those five cruises would be my top rated cruises for customer service.

I haven't heard much on the low side of things here. The customer service on my recent trip on the Navigator out of New Orleans didn't impress me much. The same goes for my sailing on Radiance out of Tampa two years ago. Not that there was anything terrible, the crew just seemed to lack the energy and enthusiasm that the best sailings have.

I think that the Captain and the Cruise Director have a lot to do with the mood of the ship. The Captain sets the tone for the staff while the CD sets it for the Guests. Happy guests make for a happy crew and vice versa. When those two are pulling in the same direction and share a vision for what our experience as cruisers should be we get those outstanding vacations.

I wonder how it effects the mood of a ship when a well liked Captain or other Lead Staff member is away for vacation time. Do the "fill in" CDs or Captains have a rough time of it?

I can only say how it is with NCL, but most senior officers and senior hotel supervisors work a rotation with another person, and they tend to work even time, or 6 months a year. A 2 on, 1 off rotation used to be standard, but most people do not wish to be away from home for more than 6 months a year. 3 months on, 3 months off is the normal rotation for NCL officers and supervisors. Crew members and hotel staff are the ones with the long contracts. Most officers and senior supervisors are paid while on vacation, while contract crew receive nothing while at home.

The companies try to place officers of like style as rotation partners, and most officers don't like to reinvent the wheel every time they come back onboard because the other Captain likes it a different way, so a melding of styles happens. Also, there are policies against all senior officers changing out at or near the same time, so that the everyone starts to work on the same page.

The Jewel and the Explorer seem to have the happiest and friendliest crews. I think they give them happy pills in the morning. One of the crew members on the Explorer told me it was because the Captains and senior staff treat them very well.

I wonder how long ago that bad Mariner experience posted above was. I would have to say the best service experience I have had was Mariner several times out of Galveston. Sure wish RCI had kept her here instead of refurbishing her for the Asia market. I just hope Navigator, which we have not been on since 2006, will be as good when she comes to Galveston. I imagine her extensive Jan. 2014 refurb may also have a positive effect on the crew.

I wonder how long ago that bad Mariner experience posted above was. I would have to say the best service experience I have had was Mariner several times out of Galveston. Sure wish RCI had kept her here instead of refurbishing her for the Asia market. I just hope Navigator, which we have not been on since 2006, will be as good when she comes to Galveston. I imagine her extensive Jan. 2014 refurb may also have a positive effect on the crew.

Not sure how much effect a refurbishment has on crew attitude. Normally about 0-1% of the refurbishment budget goes to crew areas.

I was thinking in terms of being proud to be on the only Voyager class ship with a flowrider and vitual balcony cabins. I would think crew members would be happy to have their ship updated to impress their passengers.

Best crew was Radiance last year, they seemed genuine in their interactions with us from the captain on down. From CD Bobby, Joel our cabin attendant, Bernadette who waiting on us both pool side and in the theater, Ashley and Sakthivel our dining staff, everyone was memorable

Jewel back in March least favorable. The service was good but just seemed to be a lack of involvement. It shows in that I cannot remember a single name of the staff.

Bill

I was thinking in terms of being proud to be on the only Voyager class ship with a flowrider and vitual balcony cabins. I would think crew members would be happy to have their ship updated to impress their passengers.

Not so much. The main positive influence on crew attitude is the attitude of their supervisors towards them, the social interaction of the crew with itself, the food, and the paycheck. They get bummed if some of the crew fall down on the job and gratuities get removed by a large percentage, because this is close to 80% of their compensation. Great crews can be found on both brand new and older ships. When you find that clumps of cabin stewards have returned to the same ship for 5 or more contracts, or that have extended for 2-3 consecutive contracts (no time off for over 2 years), you know the senior management is doing it right.

Service is always very good on RCI ships...sometimes it is exceptional. It was exceptional on Freedom and Jewel. Lucky us, we get to go back on the Jewel in 93 days!!! We'll be looking up some of that great staff. Most said they would be back from their vacations by then. :D

No, service is usually very good, and sometimes exceptional, on RCI but we did have problems with service when we sailed Mariner. I don't feel like getting into specifics right now but our MDR service staff was very sub par.

We were on Navigator a little over a year ago. The crew, service, and atmosphere were all excellent. It was our first time back on a Voyager class ship after having sailed Freedom and Oasis class for awhile. I was a bit nervous about going back to Voyager size but we had a great cruise on the ship. I've never second guessed my decision to pick Navigator for that cruise.

Interesting thread, Sam. Enchantment really stands out for me, as I cannot recall one unpleasant experience with any staff or crew on that vessel on multiple sailings. I could rave about each cruise from beginning to end. While I also love the Jewel, and the majority of the crew was awesome, I have to admit I encountered a few bad apples on both Jewel cruises--in general not enough to hamper the cruise experience, but enough that I could not give overall service a top grade.

Will be interested to hear your perspective after sailing Allure....

Archived