Blu vs. Specialty Restaurants on S-class

gmros

Do you prefer dining in Blu or the Specialty Restaurants?

I've never tried Blu and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. For only $28/pp/day additional (ultimate dining), one could enjoy the MDR and any of the specialty restaurants. So if Aqua is more than $28/pp/day additional, would you think it's still worth it to have Blu over the option to dine in 7 venues?

Sent using a mobile device. Please pardon any errors.

I've never tried Blu and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. For only $28/pp/day additional (ultimate dining), one could enjoy the MDR and any of the specialty restaurants. So if Aqua is more than $28/pp/day additional, would you think it's still worth it to have Blu over the option to dine in 7 venues?

No, I don't think it's worth it at all!!! Take the Ultimate package and enjoy the variety.

I think that too many people try to directly compare Blu with the speciality restaurants. In fact they are almost opposites. While Blu isn't always a healthier option it is generally lighter food, whereas most of the speciality restaurants tend to be larger portions, often with creamy sauces, and definately not for the faint-hearted.

There are other benefits that a lot of people will say are not worth anything but in my case the access to the relaxation room and free water make a real difference to my cruise.

I would certainly pay the extra to stay in Aqua but it is a personal choice.

David

So far you've only heard from the AQ/Blu haters.

We're from the opposite side.

Our experiences on our first two cruises have caused us to eliminate the specialty restaurants while cruising in AQ. There are two reasons for the decision. The first being the food itself...it can be truly inspired and we found some truly awful to the point I actually sent food back which is EXTREMELY rare for me to do. The second was the service staff differences between Blu and the spec places. Blu is service perfection 95% of the time but the servers in specialty were arrogant and actually insulting. If you think I'll spend money for that kind of crap...think again. We may have simply had servers and staff having incredibly bad nights but why suffer that when the service in Blu has been so consistent and perfect?

We find the food in Blu to be very creative and inspired and when considered in total, the portioning actually makes total sense. If you want more, simply tell your server. It's really not any big deal at all. We find all those courses combined left us perfectly sated every night. All the specialty restaurants have some signature dishes which we absolutely love but we found the dishes inconsistent and the service intolerable. Poor quality of the products used was a shocker in Tuscan Grille in particular. I am referring to their steaks.

There were only 2 responses....one who said it is worth it, one who

said no....what do you mean about only hearing from "Blu Haters"?:eek:

It is not like it was 20 nays.....just one....and now there are 2 of you

with a yay.

Your not going to be able to get a good feeling--until you try BLU! Some love it, some are so-so, some dislike it!

We loved BLU!! Our waiters were awesome, We loved the smaller tables---1 could chat with ur neighbors or not. Was very a very quiet and relaxing place!

We only ate at 1 specialty restaurant--Qsine,and only because it was 50% off on the 1st night of our cruise. And yes it was ok, but anything that was deep fried was dripping with grease, it was good, but nothing special.

We originally were going to goto Muranos but after chatting with 2 other couples who had gone, we decided not to spend the extra $$$--as they stated yes it was nice, but the food was not that much better--1 couple ate in BLU, the other in the MDR.

I guess the $28 pp for the meal deal may be a good value, but I enjoyed the friendship we developed with our waiters in BLU each night, they got to know what you liked and my rum/coke glass was never empty!!

There's nothing wrong with Blu and it is better than MDR in many ways. There's no better place for breakfast. But I personally wouldn't take the step of changing cabin grades to eat there at every single meal.

The speciality restaurants are great and so long as you get the most out of the variety I'd say the ultimate package is a very good deal. If you are devoted foodie you can't go wrong.

I'd go absolutely bonkers if I had to eat in Murano all the time with it's rich but limited menu. Mix it up with Tuscan Grill, Bistro on on Five and Silk Harvest and it starts to look a lot better.

Beware though, of one caveat. The ultimate package gives you the option to dine, it doesn't make certain you can get a booking at the time you want. If you take it up, it might be a good idea to decide on the day what options you wnat for the entire voyage and book up all of them in advance. You can always change them, but at least if you have a peg in the ground you won't find eating crepes is the only option available on a formal night.

When we stayed in Aqua class, we choose to eat in the MDR more frequently than Blu. We found no difference in food prep and the menu in the MDR was more creative. We did prefer Blu for breakfast, but could not get Eggs Benedict as some have. Actually, the egg station in the buffet had the best Eggs Benedict.

There are other benefits that a lot of people will say are not worth anything but in my case the access to the relaxation room and free water make a real difference to my cruise.

I would certainly pay the extra to stay in Aqua but it is a personal choice.

David

I see the 'free water' comment a lot. Since the water on board is totally drinkable, and since you can bring cases of water on board, I often wonder how much the 'free' water costs!!

I see the 'free water' comment a lot. Since the water on board is totally drinkable, and since you can bring cases of water on board, I often wonder how much the 'free' water costs!![/

The free water is an example of my personal choice and I'm not sure why I have to justify it.

I was reminded by one of the previous contributors of the superb breakfast in Blu, so that puts it even further ahead - in my opinion.

Wanted to try Blu, however we were booked in Concierge class and not for our lack of trying could not get into Blu. We did purchase the Unlimited Specialty Dinning Package. Best purchase I've made on a cruise. Here is a link to my review. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37795941&postcount=1

There is one thing that I didn't put in my review. We did, one night, have dinner at Murano and then later in the evening had desert at Tuscan Grille.

DW and I debate the OP's question on every cruise booking. Our perfect solution was when we did a back-to-back Med cruise on the Silhouette and did one cruise in a regular balcony cabin and MDR and the other in Aqua and Blu. To be blunt, we enjoy both options and find pros and cons to each option. Dining in Blu is similar to going to a familiar small restaurant and almost gives the cruise a smaller ship feel (we love small ships). We do not think the food in Blu is better then the MDR....but it is different and often more innovative. DW has developed her own philosophy in that she will not pay more then $25 a day extra (over a normal balcony) for Aqua (I am now thinking $15 might be an appropriate max). There is something to say for the idea that the money you save by not booking Aqua can better be put to use by frequent dining in the alternative restaurants. One other final note about Aqua. One should be careful because we think many of the Aqua Class cabins on the S ships are in very bad locations. Our problem are with the cabins that are directly under the pool deck where they can be subject to noise from above. We also think that those cabins (and these are the majority of AQ cabins) have verandas that are almost always in a big shadow from the ugly deck overhang. On S Class we opt for AQ cabins towards the aft that are under another deck of passenger cabins.

Hank

Personally I would eat in the MDR , and dine once in all three specialty restaurants on shorter cruises, less than 10 days.

On longer cruises ( I recently completed 37 straight days on Equinox in AQ. ), I would opt for. Blu, but still eat in the MDR occasionally.

It depends on the cost however. I wouldn't spend more than $25 a. Day pp to eat in Blu.

When we did 2 Solstice cruises we loved Blu the staff and food were excellent. We just did a Reflection cruise in May and what a difference. The staff were not friendly until after all the Aqua Class and Aqua suites got the phone call asking about Blu service etc. Then things changed the staff were friendly and the food as always was great especially the breakfast. We went to Murano food fantastic and wait staff fantastic also. The Lawn Grill, The Porch and Quisine all great food and service. I definitely would do Aqua and specialty restaurants next cruise:D.

We also love BLU for the smaller venue and quieter setting, much prefer the food as well. We love Murano and the other specialty restaurants and would mix it up going to those on a longer cruise.

Archived