Administration Fee

hypercafe

Hypercafe, the fee is not $100 for cancelling 30 days before the cruise! It is full fare.

If you re read Hypercafe post he said 30 days prior to Final Payment

It is even highlighted in your post where you quoted him

Must be the heat ;)

I think it's unfair to book two cruises and then when the penalty is increased at the 5-6 month mark cancel one because you cannot decide for the lower fare since the pricing changes every month or two based on law of supply and demand. I know people make arrangements all the time and cancel to suit themselves. I think depending on which side of the fence you are on - it will never be fair to all concerned. I think a major cause of this is the frequent price changes. It is worth the $100 to secure a lower fare just in case you want to take the cruise.

If the pricing remained static and all the booking incentives and gimmicks were not there - my guess is that would no longer be an issue.

If you re read Hypercafe post he said 30 days prior to Final Payment

It is even highlighted in your post where you quoted him

Must be the heat ;)

Whoops! Dare I blame it on the heat? Thanks for giving me a way out!

I guess the issue for me is that I cruise on March 10, 2014. Final payment is Oct 13, 2013. If I cancel between 11 Sept to 13 Oct, I pay $100.

However, I booked this cruise months' ago. Surely I should pay something if I cancel now or in July or August. But I don't pay anything if I cancel before 11 September.

Not really fair to others who want to book and can't (sold out) or must be wait listed. Not sure it is fair to Oceania either.

And Oceania could refuse bookings that overlap in time. You can't be on both Nautica and Marina on a specific date. Perhaps they do - never tried it.

And Oceania could refuse bookings that overlap in time. You can't be on both Nautica and Marina on a specific date. Perhaps they do - never tried it.

I mean, perhaps Oceania does refuse essentially double-bookings. Not that someone can be in two places at the same time!

Regent charges a $100 cancellation fee from day one, I'm pretty sure. I believe you can roll it over to a new cruise, can't remember. It's been like that for a while, used to be no fee at all, right up to final payment day.

So does Azamara and virtually every river cruise line.

It certainly causes me to be careful when I book

Okay, so in this situation, what would be the policy:

I have a trip planned but in the advertisements I see a cruise I would rather take, and I change my booking to that particular trip. The change would take place in the penalty period for the $100 charge period.

You know, we have a trip planned for the end of 2014 to the Amazon. The agent on board the ship suggested we book "any trip" and change it to one for 2014 because the trip was already full for 2013 - Cape Town to Singapore, when it was published. I am the one who suggested the Amazon trip even tho she said just pick a trip and we will change it, because if we decided not to do that trip because of itinerary change or whatever, we would be happy with the Amazon one.

So, how will a change be handled?

Maybe we should just cancel the Amazon now and if the Cape Town to Singapore trip is full when it comes out, we can decide whether or not we definitely want the Amazon (or maybe another Oceania or Regent trip).

Regent charges a $100 cancellation fee from day one, I'm pretty sure. I believe you can roll it over to a new cruise, can't remember. It's been like that for a while, used to be no fee at all, right up to final payment day.

They do and you can.

The on board booking is fully transferable to another booking and refundable if you decide not to take the cruise (it's all there in the documents) so I do not think those bookings are affected. The transferability and refundability are incentives to get you to book on board. Doubt any of that would change.

I'm fine with 10%, without letting you put it on other cruise. Then people will think about the booking before they book.

Rick

If you mean 10% penalty after booking, this would definitely mean buying cancellation insurance on booking. I would find it hard psychologically to risk 10% of most of my cruises without at least that. If you mean 10% penalty 120-90 days prior, perhaps.

And even aside from the insurance issue, I would find 10% from time of booking draconian and would probably find a different cruise line.

The on board booking is fully transferable to another booking and refundable if you decide not to take the cruise (it's all there in the documents) so I do not think those bookings are affected. The transferability and refundability are incentives to get you to book on board. Doubt any of that would change.

So you wouldn't be for changing the transfer option or canceling the refunds options if your cruise was booked while on a cruise. (Transferable and Refundable if canceled) You are just for increasing the penalty if someone needs to cancel and wasn't on a cruise when it was booked.

Do you believe that when a cruise is booked while on a cruise everyone fully intends to definitely take that booked cruise? I suspect many of them do the same thing others on here have been accused of doing.

Appreciate all the support for this policy.

Some have suggested a more meaningful penalty to discourage the "multiple booking but i'll cancel one of them practice" - should the penalty be 10% rather than $100?

FDR

You need to add an emoticon with your post so we know if you are kidding or not! :eek:

So you wouldn't be for changing the transfer option or canceling the refunds options if your cruise was booked while on a cruise. (Transferable and Refundable if canceled) You are just for increasing the penalty if someone needs to cancel and wasn't on a cruise when it was booked.

Do you believe that when a cruise is booked while on a cruise everyone fully intends to definitely take that booked cruise? I suspect many of them do the same thing others on here have been accused of doing.

This has nothing to do with what I would be "for" -- I simply stated the rules

Frankly, I think O should follow Celebrity's and Azamara's policy when it comes to on board booking -- you just get a future cruise credit with no specific booking at all and the benefits are applied when you book the cruise you want. Makes a lot more sense.

Frankly, I think O should follow Celebrity's and Azamara's policy when it comes to on board booking -- you just get a future cruise credit with no specific booking at all and the benefits are applied when you book the cruise you want. Makes a lot more sense.

Seabourn does this as well and I think it's the best way of encouraging future bookings.

I still think a 10% any time you book and cancel-period. I do like the idea that when booking on the ship you just get a discount certificate (you pay for) for the next cruise you book. This would be great. I'm on a cruise August 10th, but I had to book my next cruise before going just to get the suite I wanted, yet I bet when final payment is near that suite will open up again and I missed the extra discount because someone is holding a cabin they won't be using.

Rick

You can book a specific cruise and cabin on Celebrity using on board booking.

You can book a specific cruise and cabin on Celebrity using on board booking.

Yes - but you don't have to -- that was my point -- you can simply hold the future cruise credit until a cruise you want comes along

I think I stay confused--no comment. I posted earlier that we had to book a trip at the end of 2014 because the trip we wanted--Cape Town to Singapore for 2014 (I said "2013" by mistake on my first post meaning 2014) was already full.

They said book the trip later in 2014 and when the 2015 Cape Town to Singapore opens, we would switch.

Yet I was reading other posts and saw where some folks just booked the 2014 trip (the one we were told was already full). If it in fact is taking bookings, we have already booked another trip (with someone else) to the Antarctica for Jan. 2014 that we cannot cancel, nor do we really want to at this point.

]

The information we sometimes receive at the onboard booking seems to not be accurate. I like the idea of just a deposit for a future booking, and then proceed when the one we want opens up. I am just disappointed that we were told the trip for 2014 was already booked.

Of course, the reason for this thread might point out that the ship for 2014 was, in fact, booked and then cancellations appeared. The penalty might just stop this.

• 1 month later...

Just booked my first Oceania cruise and have been scanning the different threads. I am shocked at how hostile, rude and inconsiderate so many of the posts on the Oceania board are. I sure hope this is not the atmosphere aboard the ship! I have rarely noted such smug, "all knowing" comments. Think some people need to chill and reflect with graditude that they are so fortunate instead of jumping on one another. Sounds like kindergarten to me!!!

Archived