Post cruise night -Civitavecchia, Rome, or Airport

PhilAndChristine

We will be spending a night after a cruise and was wondering where to stay.

Staying in Rome would have more options, but would be a lot more travel time.

Staying at the airport probably means being stuck at the hotel (I assume airport hotels at Rome are like everywhere else, and have nothing in walking distance).

Staying in Civitavecchia might be pleasant (if we can get away from the port area), but would mean finding a way to the airport the next day.

We will be spending a night after a cruise and was wondering where to stay.

Staying in Rome would have more options, but would be a lot more travel time.

Staying at the airport probably means being stuck at the hotel (I assume airport hotels at Rome are like everywhere else, and have nothing in walking distance).

Staying in Civitavecchia might be pleasant (if we can get away from the port area), but would mean finding a way to the airport the next day.

A lot depends on what time your flight is the next day. If it's anytime before noon, might be good idea to stay by airport, avoiding the morning transfer to airport. If you stay at/near airport, go there soon after docking. Drop off bags and take inexpensive bus into Rome to spend the day there. Civiitavecchia isn't the best choice as you would still have to get a transfer to airport.

Most important...enjoy the day in Rome!

I would vote for staying in Rome. You can enjoy the city for the entire day and evening (Rome in the evening is my favorite!). A transfer to the airport costs around 50 euro from Rome and takes about a hour hour. Or you can take the express bus from Termini to the airport for 4 euro (assuming your flight isn't punishingly early) or take the train.

You could visit Ostia Antica after your cruise, stay in (modern) Ostia that night, and continue on to the airport the next day. Ostia Antica is seldom crowded, has some great buildings and mosaics and is well worth a visit. There are some good B&Bs in Ostia, and it is a very short trip to Fiumicino the next morning.

We stayed at Agriturismo Rodrigo di Vivar, which is immaculately clean, very comfortable and a bit quirky, and had a wonderful dinner.

If you don't want to stay in Rome because you have an early flight, I would recommend staying at the Rome Airport Hilton. They have a shuttle that runs into Rome, so you could get your day/evening in Rome but be right IN the airport for that morning flight. I do this because I am NOT a morning person, so I'd rather have that extra hour for sleeping than traveling to the airport from Rome;)

If you don't want to stay in Rome because you have an early flight, I would recommend staying at the Rome Airport Hilton. They have a shuttle that runs into Rome, so you could get your day/evening in Rome but be right IN the airport for that morning flight. I do this because I am NOT a morning person, so I'd rather have that extra hour for sleeping than traveling to the airport from Rome;)

Cost for shuttle?

Cost for shuttle?

the Hilton shuttle is complementary. Go to their website to find the times for the shuttle. If nothing else, if you miss the last shuttle back to the hotel at night, you can get the train back (last train is 10:50pm) or a taxi.

the Hilton shuttle is complementary. Go to their website to find the times for the shuttle. If nothing else, if you miss the last shuttle back to the hotel at night, you can get the train back (last train is 10:50pm) or a taxi.

Did you find a special rate for the Hilton?

I should add that one of the best seafood dinners we have ever had in Italy was in the seaside town of Fiumcino. This is not very far from the airport. The town of Fiumcino is actually a sea resort town with a seaside promenade and quite a few decent restaurants.

Hank

Best site to book the Hilton? Best rates?

Well, I was lucky. I got an employee rate :) It wasn't all that much less than the general rate. But, a discount is a discount. I looked at it that I was paying what I was for the convenience of location so I could get the optimum amount of sleep before having to get up for that nasty morning flight ;)

I can't remember the site but I've seen on other boards where people talk about some special site for Hilton (not their regular site) where they seem to get discounts. Maybe someone else will remember.

Keith

Keith, there is the MVP program, http://www.hiltonfamilymvp.com. That may be it. You can sometimes get a 20% discount on rooms, but it is mostly for US hotels. For kicks, I went to it and tried for one night at the FCO Hilton for 7/12-13. The price was actually a little higher than on the standard hilton.com site, 210EU vs 190EU. My employee rate was a paltry 181EU. That's the only one that I ever knew about outside of the hilton.com/tmtp for employee/friends& family rates. Definitely do not use the tmtp site for booking, as you need a hard-copy "passport" signed by your employee friend/family's home hotel HR people!!! Some have tried to bluff their way without it, but if you get caught, you'll pay full fare for the room if they decide to let you stay at all.

There is also the Hilton Garden Inn down the road. It isn't attached to the airport, but they do provide a shuttle to the airport (in fact, it stops at the FCO Hilton, too). It was running 160EU for an advance purchase (no refund) rate for 7/12-13.

Like I said, I absorb the high price for staying there because I want that extra few hours of sleep!!!

We stayed overnight in Rome--even though our flight was at 0700 the next day! Ye sit sucked getting up early--left the hotel at 0430--but there was no traffic and no lines at all at the airport. Plus go to see a tiny bit of Rome--Colosseum!

Hey guys - jumping on the question

I looked at the Airport Hilton & it's full the days I need, so we're going to stay in Rome post-cruise for a day and a half.

Is there a train we can take from Termini to FCO? I can't find anything on the Trenitalia website - which of course could be user error since that site it sooooooo easy to navigate.

Our flight is early afternoon, so no anxiety about staying in the city.

We stayed overnight in Rome--even though our flight was at 0700 the next day! Ye sit sucked getting up early--left the hotel at 0430--but there was no traffic and no lines at all at the airport. Plus go to see a tiny bit of Rome--Colosseum!

I am totally on board. I will do whatever it takes to enjoy every minute of being IN Rome. It doesn't hurt that from the hotel I most often stay at I can look out my window at the Pantheon as late as I wish....!

Hey guys - jumping on the question

I looked at the Airport Hilton & it's full the days I need, so we're going to stay in Rome post-cruise for a day and a half.

Is there a train we can take from Termini to FCO? I can't find anything on the Trenitalia website - which of course could be user error since that site it sooooooo easy to navigate.

Our flight is early afternoon, so no anxiety about staying in the city.

There is an express train from Termini to FCO. It's called the Leonardo Express and runs about every half hour. It has mixed reviews from most folks. As a solo I used it a few times and thought it was fine. But then they raised the price a couple of years ago....not such a great deal if there are two or more people traveling together as the individual ticket is 14 euro (so 28 for 2, plus having to schlep your luggage to your terminal once you arrive). It makes a taxi sound like a not-bad deal.

On the other hand, if you're near Termini anyway, there is a better low-cost option -- an express bus that goes from Termini to FCO for 4 euro per person. Your luggage goes beneath and you will definitely have a seat (not guaranteed on the train). I've used this one:

http://www.terravision.eu/rome_fiumicino.html

but I think there may be another one as well. Read the website carefully, I think if you are going to FCO from Rome, there is a specific place that you have to check in (even if you have a ticket), otherwise you may not get a seat on the bus you planned on.

I am totally on board. I will do whatever it takes to enjoy every minute of being IN Rome. It doesn't hurt that from the hotel I most often stay at I can look out my window at the Pantheon as late as I wish....!

Oh my, some place where we finally disagree ;)

When I have to do the morning shift at work, I have to wake up at 4:30am. Talk to my co-workers about how I am until about 11am:eek:

As much as I love Rome, I just can't stay in town to get up early, especially if I'm getting stuck in the cattle class on the plane!!!!!

When I have to do the morning shift at work, I have to wake up at 4:30am. Talk to my co-workers about how I am until about 11am:eek:

As much as I love Rome, I just can't stay in town to get up early, especially if I'm getting stuck in the cattle class on the plane!!!!!

Since we have a 10AM flight, I decided to stay at Hilton. Stress Level will be 0% for the morning connection. :) Would have to leave Rome VERY EARLY to be at airport 2 1/2 to 3 hours before the flight.

Might spend part of the day at Ostia Antica.

Now have to figure out connection from port to airport. That should be easy.

There is an express train from Termini to FCO. It's called the Leonardo Express and runs about every half hour. It has mixed reviews from most folks. As a solo I used it a few times and thought it was fine. But then they raised the price a couple of years ago....not such a great deal if there are two or more people traveling together as the individual ticket is 14 euro (so 28 for 2, plus having to schlep your luggage to your terminal once you arrive). It makes a taxi sound like a not-bad deal.

On the other hand, if you're near Termini anyway, there is a better low-cost option -- an express bus that goes from Termini to FCO for 4 euro per person. Your luggage goes beneath and you will definitely have a seat (not guaranteed on the train). I've used this one:

http://www.terravision.eu/rome_fiumicino.html

Thanks for the info. There are 4 of us & the train doesn't sound appealing. it reminds me of taking the metro from Heathrow into the city & how I kept thinking we should have taken the bus.

LOL. I'm not a morning person, believe me. But I don't want to miss out on a last evening in Rome......and if I am stuck in coach, I figure I might as well just sleep. Or be catatonic. (I have to force myself to avoid a last espresso in the airport though....) :D

LOL. I'm not a morning person, believe me. But I don't want to miss out on a last evening in Rome......and if I am stuck in coach, I figure I might as well just sleep. Or be catatonic. (I have to force myself to avoid a last espresso in the airport though....) :D

I can't sleep in that cattle car seat. Never could, even if I'm exhausted.

I did have a last evening in Rome - just took the train or shuttle back to FCO in time to get a little sleep. Going back at 10pm was just fine for me.

Since I was flying to CDG this time, and in Business (which is still cattle, but they block off that middle seat), I got to go to the Alitalia club. I didn't avoid those free espressos - I had a day to spend in Paris and I definitely needed to b awake!!!

Since we have a 10AM flight, I decided to stay at Hilton. Stress Level will be 0% for the morning connection. :) Would have to leave Rome VERY EARLY to be at airport 2 1/2 to 3 hours before the flight.

Might spend part of the day at Ostia Antica.

Now have to figure out connection from port to airport. That should be easy.

Hilton has some good rates occasionally, so keep checking if you booked a rate with free cancellation. I just got a double room for 129euro prepaid on the hilton website for next June.

They have a free shuttle in to Rome and back. Wifi in lobby free but 20 euro in rooms.

Restaurants mentioned above for seafood are great. We ate at la perla-was a bit pricey-lots of others to choose from. taxi there, altogh free shuttle was offered sometimes by hotel.

Archived