Sanitation Problems on Silver Whisper

Mekka

Here is another one of my favorites (on any cruise line). Line chefs use plastic gloves to handle the food. The gloves were clean at first but in the mean time they have opened doors, handled any number of items other than food but they continue to pretend that they are still "sterile" as long as they are wearing gloves and continue to handle the food as if they were still "clean".

Good point!

None of us are getting out of this world alive.

While that is true, I'd like to get off the ship not being sick :)

Also, if not using the gloves properly, why use them at all? Just wash your hands (like sushi chefs do) - or better yet, use utensils to handle all the food.

While that is true, I'd like to get off the ship not being sick :)

Also, if not using the gloves properly, why use them at all? Just wash your hands (like sushi chefs do) - or better yet, use utensils to handle all the food.

Agreed.

He is talking about the lid of the toilet. I think they are designed this way as a safety feature. They are vacuum toilets, so you should not flush while sitting on the toilet. Therefore they make it impossible to flush without lowering the lid.

As far as hand sanitizers, they may make people feel better, but they don't really work for the viruses that cause the most problems aboard ships.

Once again the urban myth of the vacuum toilet rears its ugly head. The vacuum toilet cannot suck you into it, or stick you to the bowl, or anything. The lid nor the seat form tight seals to the bowl, so there is no real reason for closing the lid, other than when a toilet malfunctions sometimes the water spray gets a little messy.

If you are concerned about touching the lid before you flush, and you should be, remember that the same hands that touched the seat and lid before you also touched the flush button. Toilet seats, lids, and handles (or buttons on vacuum toilets) should be handled with a piece of toilet paper, tissue, or paper towel, which is then placed in the garbage can.

I spent four years fixing vacuum toilets on cruise ships, and as previously posted, was trained by the USPH in ships sanitation, and using a towel for the toilet, the sink faucets when hands have been washed, and the door handle is basic hygiene.

Seafairer,

I love your idea. The likelihood of getting sick on a ship is much greater than having to use the life boats.

Not trying to be too sarcastic, but people don't listen to the safety demonstration, what makes you think they will listen or take to heart a lecture on sanitation?

Here is another one of my favorites (on any cruise line). Line chefs use plastic gloves to handle the food. The gloves were clean at first but in the mean time they have opened doors, handled any number of items other than food but they continue to pretend that they are still "sterile" as long as they are wearing gloves and continue to handle the food as if they were still "clean".

Actually, that would be a violation of USPH regulations, and would result in a few points taken off in an inspection. Your wait staff is supposed to change gloves, or wash hands between handling dirty dishes (bussing a table) and handling clean dishes (taking the next course out).

Over the years, I've actually found passengers to be very attentive to the information being given out at the drills. The staff maintains a totally serious approach and the passengers seem to take it all in. Thankfully, not at all like the demos on planes.

Once again the urban myth of the vacuum toilet rears its ugly head. The vacuum toilet cannot suck you into it, or stick you to the bowl, or anything. The lid nor the seat form tight seals to the bowl, so there is no real reason for closing the lid, other than when a toilet malfunctions sometimes the water spray gets a little messy.

If you are concerned about touching the lid before you flush, and you should be, remember that the same hands that touched the seat and lid before you also touched the flush button. Toilet seats, lids, and handles (or buttons on vacuum toilets) should be handled with a piece of toilet paper, tissue, or paper towel, which is then placed in the garbage can.

I spent four years fixing vacuum toilets on cruise ships, and as previously posted, was trained by the USPH in ships sanitation, and using a towel for the toilet, the sink faucets when hands have been washed, and the door handle is basic hygiene.

RachelG was just making a point (BTW, she is a M.D.)

Over the years, I've actually found passengers to be very attentive to the information being given out at the drills. The staff maintains a totally serious approach and the passengers seem to take it all in. Thankfully, not at all like the demos on planes.

In my 4 years with NCL, you had to have someone in whites with a whole lot of stripes on their shoulders to get the passengers (a minority to be sure, but some at each station, each drill) to shut up so the crew could be heard by those that wanted to hear.

RachelG was just making a point (BTW, she is a M.D.)

Yes, I am well aware that a vacuum toilet cannot suck you into it. (Thanks, TC, for sticking up for me.). But they are designed so that you cannot flush while sitting on one. And yes, it would be quite nasty if one malfunctioned.

Some grad student needs to do a study comparing sickness rates of those who take every protection known to man and woman with the rates of those of us like me who basically spend no time onboard a ship (or off a ship for that matter) worrying about germs. I wash my hands when appropriate, generally object to hand sanitizers except under unusual circumstances, and shake hands whenever, ride the elevators, open doors, and generally don't worry. I predict that there would be few differences, and if anything the latter group would be the healthier.

Some grad student needs to do a study comparing sickness rates of those who take every protection known to man and woman with the rates of those of us like me who basically spend no time onboard a ship (or off a ship for that matter) worrying about germs. I wash my hands when appropriate, generally object to hand sanitizers except under unusual circumstances, and shake hands whenever, ride the elevators, open doors, and generally don't worry. I predict that there would be few differences, and if anything the latter group would be the healthier.

Do you suppose that silly things like general health, genetics and immunity may have anything to do with this or is just wash vs no wash? :D

• 6 months later...
Whilst I entirely agree that good hygiene is vital, I am sad to read your emphasis on hand sanitisers which are not nearly as effective as hand washing.

You will not see me using a sanitiser before going into a dining room if I have just made a point of washing my hands thoroughly - the sanitiser will achieve nothing more than causing excessive dryness to my hands (always a problem cruising with all the hand washing) - dry skin may crack and then it will carry far worse bugs than intact skin.

that's fine if you have made it all the way from where you last washed your hands to the dinning room without touching anything.

Even touching a door handle, lift button, or any other surface could cover your hands with germs. Just depends on the hygiene standards of all the other people who touched the surface before you.

That's the key. You really have to think about this each day because most people touch their faces, nose, etc. hundred of times a day.

Just watch those who you see. It is amazing.

Keith

My wife is always touching her face and rubbing her eyes, she also touches her lips quite often.

I do mention it to her sometimes but I think its just a subconscious habit that will never stop.

On cruises we both wash our hands and use the hand gel after visiting the rest room and before eating although we are both more concerned by all the inconsiderate people who think its OK to cough and sneeze all over the place without even attempting to use a tissue or hanky.

How about preaching personal responsibility. There are people reading Cruise Critic that cough on food and display other filthy habits in the buffet area without thinking about it.

maybe they should have crew members handing out tissues alongside the hand gel.

At least it might shame some of the coughers and sneezers into covering their spay.

• 2 weeks later...

The following is quoted from an article entitled "Norovirus outbreaks make both cruise lines and passengers leery" in the Travel section of the Washington Post of February 13, 2014:

It seems that the only absolutely certain way to stay uninfected is to stay home. There’s no vaccine to protect you from norovirus, and simply applying a dab of antibacterial gel before eating at the buffet won’t cut it, say experts. Washing your hands frequently with soap and warm water and minding what you touch can help prevent an infection, but it’s no guarantee.

“It goes back to the adage our parents and teachers drummed into us,” says Susan Rehm, vice chairman of the Cleveland Clinic’s Department of Infectious Disease. “Wash your hands and keep them away from your face.”

Last year, the CDC reported only seven confirmed norovirus outbreaks, which came to just 1,238 total afflicted passengers worldwide, or 0.0059 percent of 21 million cruise passengers. In 2012, the agency reported 16 norovirus outbreaks on ships.

You will have to watch an advertisement first, but for the full text of the article click: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/norovirus-outbreaks-make-both-cruise-lines-and-passengers-leery/2014/02/13/cabf3000-9340-11e3-b46a-5a3d0d2130da_story.html?wpisrc=nl_travel