Looking for suggestions, to be on a ship on August 1.

DirtDiver

We have a birthday coming up for a friend, and a group of us want to be on a ship August 1. It doesn't really matter a whole lot where we go, but we just got back from the June 6th cruise on the Carnival Victory (which was amazing).

So...we're in GA, so Florida is close by...and I don't care if we get on the ship on the 1st or for a couple days prior to the 1st. What do you guys suggest? My only concern is that the Victory was a 101k ship, and I don't want to have a bad experience on a smaller ship (most all of the Carnival ships I'm seeing are the 70k class).

What do you guys suggest for a cruise? We're trying to keep the cost per person under $450. I know that's somewhat limiting, and it doesn't have to be Carnival either, but of course, they're cheaper.

There are far fewer ships sailing from FLL and Miami in summer than in the late fall, winter and early spring.

If you want to be sure you are on a 'large' ship, look at Oasis and Allure. RCI sister ships which are the biggest in the world. They both sail from Port Everglades all summer; one sails on Saturday and the other on Sunday.

Don't waste time making bookings are you are rather late to be looking for lots of cabins at this time.

I don't have a clue about pricing on those ships but it well could be higher than your budget. Nothing to lose by looking.

To get the price you want, a good location, and only a month away, I would try the 4-day cruise out of Jacksonville on August 1 on the Carnival Fascination. Yes, she is older and smaller than what you were just on but that is not always a bad thing.

Cheapest is Carnival Sensation from Port Canaveral, Aug. 1, 3 days. Goes to Nassau.

Or consider the Carnival Paradise, Tampa, Aug, 1, 4 days. Goes to Cozumel. Past guest rate for oceanview. (Try Nachi Cocom in Cozumel.)

Both are smaller ships, but I would not let that stop me.

Cabin choices on either ship might be poor now, if cabins are available at all.

And chances are you would not have cabins next to each other or even near each other at this late date.

But it won't hurt to look, so start now checking out the Carnival web site.

Archived