Passport Requirements?

stvntra

Hi,

My husband and I cruised many years ago and still have passports. However, we are considering taking our 19 and 20 year old this year during the holidays and I can't recall if they will need passports to cruise in the Caribbean Islands (Cozumel, Progresso, etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for the help! :)

I always made sure my kids had passports when traveling abroad, especially after turning 18. The passport is good for 10 years. But, if you're cruising from a US port and returning to a US port, all you need is an official birth certificate and a photo ID.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I always made sure my kids had passports when traveling abroad, especially after turning 18. The passport is good for 10 years. But, if you're cruising from a US port and returning to a US port, all you need is an official birth certificate and a photo ID.

Just to clarify, it has to be the same US Port that you leave and return to.

I don't know if it has to be the same exact port or if you can, for example, leave from Miami and return to Tampa. I believe they call it a closed loop or something like that so it may be that you have to return to the same port from where you left. The cruise line can advise you and I'm sure it's on their website.

A passport makes it so much easier - no confusion about which is a "real" birth certificate and which is a copy. Not absolutley required, but a good investment IMHO. ;)

I agree. Our family always keeps its passports current. I think I'd forego FOOD but have a passport. LOL! And they're so expensive now! $110! Not that long ago they cost $60!

Oops, I misread your posting. You were clarifying my posting - thank you!

They probably don't have to have passports for the cruise, but I highly suggest it. Should something happen and one or both of them need to fly home from a port, they will want a passport. I had to get home quick due to a death in my family, and I was glad I had a passport!

They even have "passport cards" now, but they won't work if you have a medical emergency or something and have to fly home. They are only good for land border crossing and boats. We just got my 7 yr old a regular passport...the shocker was when we showed up at the post office to have the form processed...they take appointments for that now and the earliest opening was 5 weeks out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone. I think it would be better to get them passports as well, but just wanted to clarify in the event that they didn't come back in time, that they could still travel without one. :)

I don't know if it has to be the same exact port or if you can, for example, leave from Miami and return to Tampa. I believe they call it a closed loop or something like that so it may be that you have to return to the same port from where you left. The cruise line can advise you and I'm sure it's on their website.

It MUST be SAME port for closed loop cruises.

If a cruise ship leaves from one US port and returns to another US port there must be a foreign port of some sort on the itinerary.

It MUST be SAME port for closed loop cruises.

If a cruise ship leaves from one US port and returns to another US port there must be a foreign port of some sort on the itinerary.

Not just a foreign port, but a DISTANT foreign port. For a Caribbean or Panama Canal cruise that's just the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) or mainland South America. All the other Caribbean islands and all of Central America are not considered distant.

If you are a USA citizen and they are and you are leaving from and returning to the same port of call they will not need passports. However, should an emergency strike and you all need to fly home they could not.

Keith

Thanks everyone. I think it would be better to get them passports as well, but just wanted to clarify in the event that they didn't come back in time, that they could still travel without one. :)

Passports will be good for 10 years. It's worth it.

Archived