Ladies, describe your ideal outfit for a long plane ride

We travel on Thursday to London, and I'm still trying to decide what to wear on our 9 hour overnight flight. I want to look presentable, but really need to be comfortable. I have a pair of lululemon black capris in black, that I will pair with a longer soft stretchy T-shirt in grey. I planned to top that with a comfy dolman-sleeve soft sweater from forever 21. Not exactly a fashionista, but not sloppy either.

What do you wear for a long overnight flight?

I recently returned from 9 1/2 hr flight to/from Spain. I wore going a pair of J. Jill Pure Jill pants, a short sleeve top (wide stripe on an angle black and white) with a 3/4 sleeve sweater. I also wore a pair of Propet travel Maryjane shoes which a pair of sock liners. I was perfectly comfortable although I did pack an extra set of undies, tops, and capri's in my carry on just in case something was spilled or luggage lost. On the return, I wore the same slacks, shoes with a white T and a long sleeve white blouse. Worked perfectly and I was very comfortable!

Comfortable slacks, a loose fitting blouse and shoes that are easy to take off (and put back on) at the airport. I usually carry my raincoat so I can put it over me should I get chilly on the plane.

Like Arhillbilly, I am also a big fan of maxi dresses, as they are really comfortable but you still look nice! I would wear one with sandals and a cardigan over the top for shorter flights.

For longer flights I prefer stretchy leggings with a vest top and a long cardigan, and slip on pumps or ballet flats. This is really comfy, doesn't crease or crumple and the layering means I can wear my cardie if I'm chilly but not be roasting hot when I'm traipsing about with luggage in the sun.

And I second always taking spares in your hand luggage, it takes a little space but is far better than sitting for 8 hours in soggy clothes if you spill a drink down you!

Black knit pants, long sleeve top and a sweater. I wear slip on sneakers and bring a pair of socks. I also keep a change of clothes for emergencies in my carry on. :)

Most trans-Atlantic flights I have been on were pretty cold, so I bring a travel blanket and inflatable pillow. I don't trust the cleanliness of the airline blankets, so I use them on my legs and feet and my blanket near my face. The pillows on the airlines are worthless. They slip out of their paper pillowcases and end up on the floor. :(

So it definitely sounds like layering and comfort are the top priorities. I think the stretchy yoga pants will work, and then I will dress it up a bit with a scarf I can also use as a shawl/blanket if needed. Definitely will bring socks as I hate cold feet!

This.

ImageUploadedByForums1372771641.055983.jpg.877655d51654b5f3f93dd2e0f518ccb8.jpg

Hmm, That came through almost too small to see.

Lightweight stretchy pull-on pants, Genie bra with a soft cotton LS top. I also had a light jacket in lighter gray, also soft cotton. The, horror of horrors, Crocs and thick puffy socks. This was for the 14 hour flight from LAX to Sydney, Australia. It was all about being comfy but not arriving looking like a bag lady.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Black yoga pants, a fitted t-shirt, a sweater or yoga jacket, sandals or sneakers. (I carry a pair of socks in my bag if I wear sandals)

On a flight under five hours, I wear whatever I'm going to need to be wearing when I land--which sometimes means business attire.

Comfy, yet stylish! That looks great!

Do planes still actually give out blankets for an overnight flight?

NO--and when they do they are nasty--they are seldom washed. Ish!

The exception is first and business class, you'll get a freshly laundered blanket and a pillow with clean pillow case--but only on long hauls, not on domestic.

I always carry a large Pashmina for use on an overnight flight, and my neck pillow for all flights.

I'm 63 and wear a nice hoodie on board. I find that I can use it for either a jacket if cold or I roll it up and use it as a pillow. I'm really trying to cut down on things like the blanket and neck pillow because I don't want to carry it all around Europe.

From the feet up: smoking slippers; compression socks; pull on jeans; sports bra; long sleeve tshirt; cardigan; and a pashmina. And I bring my own pillow. It gets tossed in the dryel bag with the pashmina when I get home.

I froze last weekend flying from Santiago to New York and ended up wearing the fleece I wore to the airport most of the flight. But even flying from 85 degrees to 95 degrees I need a swestshirt because I freeze on flights.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

My long comfortable maxi dress ;)

Me too. We are also flying out Thursday - 9 hours from Philly from Amsterdam (YES I live in the DC Metro area about 15 minutes from Reagan National Airport - but it is not an international one) and Dulles - I hate - about an hour away. and we are going with my mom and as crazy as it sounds it is easier for the 5 of us to drive up to her house in Southern NJ and fly out of philly.

So my go to travel dress is a maxi t-shirt dress with a hoodie or light cotton cardigan (or cause of also being cold on planes BOTH). My compression sleeves on my legs in black - under the dress who cares and either my keds slip on of flat mules - but thinking the leather ked slipons. I am VERY comfortable in my maxi

Sharon

I always wear pure JJill pants and a pure JJill top with comfy flats .

That is my other option if I do not wear my maxi - but still thinking the maxi - but will depend on what strikes my fancy on Thursday

Sharon

This.

[ATTACH]277744[/ATTACH]

Hmm, That came through almost too small to see.

Lightweight stretchy pull-on pants, Genie bra with a soft cotton LS top. I also had a light jacket in lighter gray, also soft cotton. The, horror of horrors, Crocs and thick puffy socks. This was for the 14 hour flight from LAX to Sydney, Australia. It was all about being comfy but not arriving looking like a bag lady.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Funny I have my black crocs on right now - but I rarely wear them out of the house with minor exceptions - (1) they are the most comfortable to walk around Disneyworld all day and (2) great for when I go to the shore and the beach and boardwalk.

Sharon

We travel on Thursday to London, and I'm still trying to decide what to wear on our 9 hour overnight flight. I want to look presentable, but really need to be comfortable. I have a pair of lululemon black capris in black, that I will pair with a longer soft stretchy T-shirt in grey. I planned to top that with a comfy dolman-sleeve soft sweater from forever 21. Not exactly a fashionista, but not sloppy either.

What do you wear for a long overnight flight?

You can't go wrong with those lululemon capris! What you have in mind is perfectly good for your trip. I'd pack another Tshirt in your carryon (or purse) to either use on the plane or after you get off the plane (change in the plane lav). You'll feel a little more composed and not look like you just stepped of a 9 hour overnight flight;)

A warning for the ladies and the maxi-dresses: Be aware that TSA may want to pull you over to give you a secondary putdown if you wear long skirts and dresses. Even with the new scanning devices, they are wary of they can't see your legs bare or in pants - you COULD be hiding a non-detectable bomb under that dress. If you don't mind being fondled by someone who takes touching strangers in their private areas way too joyfully, go for it.

Funny I have my black crocs on right now - but I rarely wear them out of the house with minor exceptions - (1) they are the most comfortable to walk around Disneyworld all day and (2) great for when I go to the shore and the beach and boardwalk.

Sharon

Sharon,

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Be sure to take some "fashion" pictures to share with us when you get home. Enjoy!

Kathi

Archived