Tips for managing an early riser (22 months)

Tapster

At the end of this month we'll be cruising for 9 nights on Carnival Spirit. In our stateroom there will be myself, my husband, my four year old daughter and my 22 month old son.

My little boy is an early riser - between 6 and 630 most days. A few questions -

- he wakes up crying - will it wake our neighbours?

- I thought I would get up and get out of the cabin as quickly as possible so my husband and daughter can sleep, but where can I take him to at that hour of the morning?

- any tips to make our morning exit extra speedy?

- my son likes some milk in a sippy cup when he wakes up - what's the best way to organise that?

- what time will breakfast service start?

Thanks!

Compared to my 5 am riser, yours sounds like a dream! I usually take my lo to lido and hang out looking out the window or take him for a walk on the sun deck or track like area. At that hour nobody is really around much so take the opportunity to explore a mostly empty ship and chat with some of the workers. Good luck. I don't think you will have any trouble finding some places to hang out. Have fun.

Naw...he'll wake you before he can wake anyone else! No worries! You may be surprised at how well (and long) he sleeps on a cruise....almost everyone is lulled to sleep by the motion of the ocean!

You should have a small fridge in your cabin....grab a carton of milk for those emergency moments and stick it in the fridge. If it's in a cabinet...keep the cabinet door ajar to help the fridge cool better....airflow, and all that!

At that hour all of the lounges will be empty, and he can run about all he wants. If you don't have any milk in your fridge, they will have it out in the Lido buffet. Early continental breakfast starts around 6-6:30. EM

Why not adjust his bed time to a little later. Wouldn't that change his wake up time ?

I've never had a kid that worked like that. I just ended up with a pissed off toddler that went to bed angry and woke up at the same early hour the next day.

I've never had a kid that worked like that. I just ended up with a pissed off toddler that went to bed angry and woke up at the same early hour the next day.

:) Ha ha, I agree!

Sooner or later it will shift his wake up time I don't think he can tell time yet lol to "know" he must be up at a certain time

Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Yep, that's how mine works!

Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Yep, that's how mine works!

How many nights in a row did you try it ?

Lol... My daughter is the same way. Doesn't matter how late she goes to sleep, she wakes up the same ungodly early hours.

So true. Though thankfully with ours that's about 8:30 a.m.

Yes, if you don't quiet him promptly, he will wake the neighbors. The little fridges will not keep milk cold enough, but if you put it on ice, that will work since there might not be anything out yet in the lido. Lots of empty spaces for him to run around at that hour.

If weather is nice taking him along the walking track in his stroller would be what I'd do or walk around the ship. There are probably lido staffers setting up early breakfast that could easily get you a carton of milk.

Our youngest is an early bird where as I am a night owl, but I still have fond memories of his first cruise when he was 15 months old and had just learned to walk while on board. There was more than one day when we watched the sunrise while exploring the ship. It's a nice time to explore without worrying about getting in the way of others. Most ships have at least one section of the buffet open extra early so that you could at least have a continental breakfast to tide you over at that point.

I would lay out everything you need to get out the door the night before including clothes for both of you, sea pass and diaper bag with amusements. I would also prefill a sippy cup with milk and leave it either in an ice bucket with a towel wrapped around it or even better, the ice bucket in the "fridge". That way, Mr. Cranky will be quieted quickly and it will buy you a bit of time to get dressed before leaving your cabin.

Have a great trip.

Your kid and my kid must know each other!

me too! Everyone who says their kid sleeps later never met my kid :)

I agree. No matter what time my son goes to bed he still wakes up in the same 30minute-1hour time frame.

To all posters with this same exact reply try it every night for a week sooner or later your child's sleeping pattern will adjust... It's not going to change in 1 night.

To all posters with this same exact reply try it every night for a week sooner or later your child's sleeping pattern will adjust... It's not going to change in 1 night.

Maybe - maybe not. To make it work, you essentially have to change the entire day's routine by an hour. You can't just change bedtime.

Me too! My kids don't adjust like that. Heck, I don't either! I'm an early riser no matter what time I go to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Archived