Cruise around Ireland?

DRS/NC

I've decided to conduct my own unofficial survey -- would you take a cruise around Ireland? A complete cricle, say to/from Dubin, for 10 days or so?

I really want to tour Ireland. I'm a single senior and I've considered the various bus tours, but really don't like "moving" early every morning & digging thru my suitcase everyday. I'd love the ease of cruising from major city to city, with "excursions" available.

In 2000, my late DH & I did the circle Great Britian cruise on the old Royal Princess. It was the perfect way to see some more of England (we'd spent a good bit of time there in our younger days), a bit of Wales and Ireland and much of Scotland.

Do you think such a crusie would SELL?

I've decided to conduct my own unofficial survey -- would you take a cruise around Ireland? A complete cricle, say to/from Dubin, for 10 days or so?

I really want to tour Ireland. I'm a single senior and I've considered the

Personally I'd be more likely to do a British Isles Cruise rather than one that visited just Ireland.

Personally I'd be more likely to do a British Isles Cruise rather than one that visited just Ireland.

I agree! I've been looking into the British Isles itinerary and am looking forward to booking it for the near future. I don't think I would be as interested in an itinerary of just Ireland.

There is so much to see in Ireland that three ports just scratches the surface. I think that cruise would be great. We did a 9 day driving tour of Ireland and it was tiresome to pack up and move on every couple of days. Great trip though. I love Ireland! The people are the greatest.

The ports that can accommodate cruise ships are on the east and south coast. The 'major cities' are also there. So you would be sailing between ports that are usually only a few hours apart anyway, and then what? You would have to sail all around the west and north of the land mass, seeing nothing of it because you will be too far out at sea. You might as well be anywhere. And you will have already probably visited the places of interest in those areas on excursions from the other ports (eg the Giant's Causeway in the north from Belfast cruise port). Sorry, but I don't see many people wanting to do this.

Although not a Princess Cruise, Saga Cruises has an itinerary that sails around Ireland in June 2014. It's on the Saga Sapphire and departs from Dover. It stops at Dublin, heads north to Belfast. It then sails around the north of Ireland to Killybegs on the west coast before sailing south to Glengarriff (very pretty). The final stop in Ireland is Cobh before heading back to Dover via Guernsey. The trip is called 'Charms of the Emerald Isle'. Google it. Hope this helps.

We're taking the British Isles cruisetour in August. On the land portion, we'll start on the west at Shannon and end up at Cork in the south. On the cruise, we'll stop at Dublin and Cork on the east side. Not quite a full circle, but it should give us a good taste of the Emerald Isle:)

We're taking the British Isles cruisetour in August. On the land portion, we'll start on the west at Shannon and end up at Cork in the south. On the cruise, we'll stop at Dublin and Cork on the east side. Not quite a full circle, but it should give us a good taste of the Emerald Isle:)

Haven't seen you over on our roll call for a very long time...

we're going to Trempealeau next weekend...Catfish Days...

Looking forward to our cruise...sign up for The Meet and Greet on Saturday, August 17, 2013 in Skywalkers 3-4PM.

Yes. I'd love a cruise around Ireland. I often see Dublin, Waterford and Cobh on cruise itineraries, but I've only seen Kellybegs, in County Donegal on one itinerary. That part of Ireland, the northwest, is magnificent. Also Rathmullen on the north coast is lovely.

If you find that 'round Ireland cruise, let me know!

Poppy1966: Thank you so very much for the Saga info! I hadn't found that one in my various searches!

The British Isles cruise in 2000 was great, but it only stopped in Dublin & Waterford (the crystal factory was interesting -- once). There was no land tour then or we would have booked it.

I realize that the distances between ports would be limited, but maybe the ship could "overnight" in some. Pax could then do 'day trip' excursions as in some continental ports.

Maybe I should post this on other cruise lines' boards too.

I really want to tour Ireland. I'm a single senior and I've considered the various bus tours, but really don't like "moving" early every morning & digging thru my suitcase everyday. I'd love the ease of cruising from major city to city, with "excursions" available.

In 2000, my late DH & I did the circle Great Britian cruise on the old Royal Princess. It was the perfect way to see some more of England (we'd spent a good bit of time there in our younger days), a bit of Wales and Ireland and much of Scotland.

We are doing the British Isle next summer, We have been to Ireland, beautiful country.

When we went to Ireland, we rented a cottage, a car and did want we wanted to, had a great time, once I got use to driving on the left side of the road:eek:

Hugh:cool:

Although not a Princess Cruise, Saga Cruises has an itinerary that sails around Ireland in June 2014. It's on the Saga Sapphire and departs from Dover. It stops at Dublin, heads north to Belfast. It then sails around the north of Ireland to Killybegs on the west coast before sailing south to Glengarriff (very pretty). The final stop in Ireland is Cobh before heading back to Dover via Guernsey. The trip is called 'Charms of the Emerald Isle'. Google it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great info Poppy.

Hugh:cool:

July 13, 2014 HAL Prinsendam -R/T Amsterdam, stopping in Waterford, Galway, Kellybags, Belfast and Dublin , also stops in Fowey, Cornwall, Guernsey, Challel Islands, and St. Malo France

August 24, 2014 Crystal Symphony from Dublin stopping in Belfast, Londonderry, Galway and Cork -- also stopping in Portland, Eng., the Channel Islands before ending in London.

Not strictly just Ireland, but both good itineraries.

We did some of the Irish ports on a British Isles tour but there are several, such as the Isle of Skye that i'd love to visit. Also, there are ports such as Dublin and Belfast I'd like to spend an overnight. I think around Ireland would be great and would get some takers, especially those of Irish descent.

I would love a trip that spent more time in Ireland. Even though haven't even been to British Isles, one of the main reasons is can't find one that spends enough time in spots so overnights would be great. Airfares are so high, want to spend at least two weeks, maybe more. Have no interest in trying to do any European stops. Would also like to visit Wales but those seem rare stops. Maybe the cruise lines will read these suggestions and add more. Thanks, too, for the Saga info.

July 13, 2014 HAL Prinsendam -R/T Amsterdam, stopping in Waterford, Galway, Kellybags, Belfast and Dublin , also stops in Fowey, Cornwall, Guernsey, Challel Islands, and St. Malo France

Thanks for this info! Ireland and Mont St. Michel!

I've been thinking of doing a HAL cruise (never tried them). This might be the time to do it.

I looked at the Saga cuise -- like the schedule, but was really put-off by the Saga reviews & comments.

Swan Hellenic, May 24th 2014:

Portsmouth to: Dublin, Holy Loch (Scotland), Portrush, Killybegs, Inishmore, Glengarrif, Cork, Lundy Island(England), Guernsey (Channel Isles), Portsmouth......6 ports in Ireland.

I quite fancy that myself!

Archived