Brilliance of the Seas. Very dissappointed!

Brilliance of the Sease for Harwhich to Harwhich, 12 days around the Baltics. Food in the dinning room, Windjamer and every single restaurant was not good. Scince when did they start charging for lobster. Eggs were in the powered form in the morning, and if you didnt like the ships orange juice, you had to pay 10 dollars for a glas of french orange juice. On several ocassions, the ships store was literally moved outside the windjamer. How completelly inappropriate.

Brilliance of the Sease for Harwhich to Harwhich, 12 days around the Baltics. Food in the dinning room, Windjamer and every single restaurant was not good. Scince when did they start charging for lobster. Eggs were in the powered form in the morning, and if you didnt like the ships orange juice, you had to pay 10 dollars for a glas of french orange juice. On several ocassions, the ships store was literally moved outside the windjamer. How completelly inappropriate.

I believe that no European cruises have a lobster night.

Dining opinions vary so greatly that they are not a true measurement of a cruise for me.

Although after 70+ cruises on many cruise lines (some no longer around) , I don't rave about RCI food , I do enjoy the rest of the RCI cruise experience .

But I've never tried their French Orange Juice.

I believe that no European cruises have a lobster night.

There is a free lobster night (tails) on US cruises as well as a paid option for a full lobster. I understand as well that the European cruises do not offer the free lobster night on the menu but do have the paid option consistent with the US.

beita123 - $10 per glass for orange juice?? That's higher than virtually any alcohol purchase! Never experienced that, but we also have not done that cruise. Have also had fresh egg omelets many times - at least on the US cruises. Perception of food quality is always subjective so it was what it was to you. I am not sure what you mean by "ships store was literally moved outside the Windjammer" - please clarify. Sorry your cruise experience was a disappointment.

Dining opinions vary so greatly that they are not a true measurement of a cruise for me.

Although after 70+ cruises on many cruise lines (some no longer around) , I don't rave about RCI food , I do enjoy the rest of the RCI cruise experience .

The OP is from El Salvador, so English is probably not his/her first language.

Is your Spanish perfect?

Sorry you had a bad time on your cruise, especially as this is one of my favourite itineraries which I´ve done twice already.

Taste is very subjective, so won´t comment on that. The charge for the Main Lobster is around for a few years now and on non-European saillings Lobster Tails are still charged free of an extra Charge.

Eggs from powder or from Tetra pack are the norm for quite a while as well.

Fresh Orange Juice is a pay for item since quite some time as well but no way do they Charge 10 Dollars for one glass of fresh squeezed OJ.

Don´t see why it´s inappropriate to have sale tables outside WJ. Inconvenient at times when it gets congested maybe, but inappropriate?:confused: BTW I´ve seen this on many ships.

Many years ago (25+ years) when we discovered RCCL (now RCI) we thought the food was wonderful. The waiters, in the MDR, would serve the main courses on the plate and then come around with all the vegetables in silver serving dishes and you would choose as you please. Steaks were excellent, lobster tails were large (and unlimited), and service was 2nd to none. But times change and so has RCI. Powdered eggs in the Windjammer have long been an issue...but can be avoided if you order things like eggs over easy. If you want an omelet made with real eggs you can certainly make the request....but its hit or miss if they will do it. As to Fresh OJ...I do not recall it ever being free on RCI (although it is free on HA in their Lido and free on Celebrity for Elite's who go to the Elite breakfasts).

We stopped cruising on RCI around 3 years ago because we felt that the cruise line had sold-out on quality in favor of having huge mega ships designed to maximize onboard revenue. We like to take longer cruises on real cruise ships....not short cruises on mega-resorts that just happen to float. Another frequent cruiser friend expressed it best when she suggested that many of us have just "outgrown" RCI. We do love the other RCI products (Azamara and Celebrity) and would probably only come back to RCI if there was some kind of great deal too good to pass-up. So now we cruise more and more (101 days in just 2012 and 77 booked so far this year) but have not a single day planned on RCI.

Hank

I sailed the brilliance the end of May and thought the food was better than many other RC ships although the Windjammer was poor. NO V8 OR TOMATO juice in the dining room was bad. Waiters were the best!! Customer service was OK. Diamond lounge was perfect. Waiters were fantastic and food was the best I have had on any cruises and I cruise a lot + always meet great people in Diamond. Had a great trip and loved every minute

When my wife and myself went to El Salvaldor for vacation we had terrible food there and ended up sicker then we have ever been from a vacation:(. Both of us had to go on prescribed meds when we got home and it took almost a month to cure:mad:. I will nolonger take any food for granted that does not make us sick after that trip. Like others have said food is very subjective and it is hard to make everyone happy. If we can go and eat somewhere on vacation now and not get sick then we are happy.

... On several ocassions, the ships store was literally moved outside the windjamer.

I noticed this on my RCCL cruise also. I didn't find it as offensive as you, but I thought it was an odd place to set up to sell logo t-shirts, cups, etc. It made a fairly crowded area even more so.

I agree I don't rave about the food it's swings & roundabouts with the food on RCCL

But cruised last year on Brilliance my favourite ship in the fleet and the food in the Windjammer was excellent:)

Just completed this cruise 3 weeks ago. Had fresh eggs cooked every morning at the omelet station.

Even though fresh squeeze orange juice is offered on all RCI ships for a fee I have always been happy with the free stuff. The for fee Lobster and Steak that is on the MDR menu each evening is also a tradition that has been around for several years on all of their ships.

We were disappointed that with 3 formal nights lobster was never on the menu.

As many have said satisfaction with food taste and options have more to do with personal eating preference and will vary between individuals and cultures. IMO the food wasn't great but I was happy with everything on my plate for lunch and dinner.

Don't remember ever seeing the ships store a the Windjammer but they did have a gold chain sale table set up on several different occasions.

Just completed this cruise 3 weeks ago. Had fresh eggs cooked every morning at the omelet station.

Even though fresh squeeze orange juice is offered on all RCI ships for a fee I have always been happy with the free stuff. The for fee Lobster and Steak that is on the MDR menu each evening is also a tradition that has been around for several years on all of their ships.

We were disappointed that with 3 formal nights lobster was never on the menu.

As many have said satisfaction with food taste and options have more to do with personal eating preference and will vary between individuals and cultures. IMO the food wasn't great but I was happy with everything on my plate for lunch and dinner.

Don't remember ever seeing the ships store a the Windjammer but they did have a gold chain sale table set up on several different occasions.

Thanks for your post. As you can see, I'm going on a B2B on Brilliance in a little over a month.

On most cruises, they set up a table with the chains by the inch outside the Windjammer. I've also seen tee shirt and logo sales there when the weather is not nice enough to put the sale table on the pool deck. Believe me, it's not the entire shopping area that's being moved there.

As for the "lobster", I have never considered the frozen tails they serve on ships to be real lobster after having eaten lobsters steamed live in places like Maine, Massachusetts, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada. I'll take a slab of prime rib over a frozen lobster tail of dubious origin any day. :)

On the two Brilliance cruises I'm doing, I'm am much more excited about the ports than I am about the food. I know for certain that I won't starve.

Some people eat to live (me) others live to eat (not me).

Archived