Prinsendam : quick report

travlin

With that news, wishing you and all Elegant Explorer passengers for the next 3 months calm seas and following winds.

Hope the redone itinerary won't be too much of a burden.

Roy

Gulp, that be me .... on our first Prinsendam for 28 days to the Black Sea, but across the Mediterranean which has a reputation for trouble after September. I'll start taking my Bonine now!

Edited by OlsSalt

Uh oh...just realized my Prinsendam friend is on her now. I know the North Sea can be iffy. We'll be on her in the Atlantic and Med in 6 weeks. What would be nice if we would get a discount on our 2014 already booked cruise, to compensate for a rough ride-if they occur!! Think about it HAL!!!

Good and bad news from the captain: starboard stabilizer removed and port stabilizer in good condition. One stabilizer can do 75% of the job the captain says and in his long career he hardly never had to use both. Less good news: It takes another 8 hours or so to fix/close the hull. Our itinerary changes; flat out to Bergen, then Flam, Alesund Will be skipped, Spitsbergen and Iceland as planned.

Another night in Amsterdam. For us Dutchies aboard (there are à lot of them this cruise) well known terrain and therefor not à plus for us.

Can't wait for the ship to leave port!!:o

Good and bad news from the captain: starboard stabilizer removed and port stabilizer in good condition. One stabilizer can do 75% of the job the captain says and in his long career he hardly never had to use both. Less good news: It takes another 8 hours or so to fix/close the hull. Our itinerary changes; flat out to Bergen, then Flam, Alesund Will be skipped, Spitsbergen and Iceland as planned.

Another night in Amsterdam. For us Dutchies aboard (there are à lot of them this cruise) well known terrain and therefor not à plus for us.

Can't wait for the ship to leave port!!:o

Yes, it's true - because the ship is built the way it is - they don't use both very often - fingers crossed for you;)

Oh dear - sorry to hear the overnight here is not a thrill for you - for us it would have been great - but we are from Canada;)

So, it sounds like you are missing one port only if I read your post correctly?

Amazing - there is a silver lining someplace.

Sorry to hear about more delays - good luck and smooth seas to you

Uh oh...just realized my Prinsendam friend is on her now. I know the North Sea can be iffy. We'll be on her in the Atlantic and Med in 6 weeks. What would be nice if we would get a discount on our 2014 already booked cruise, to compensate for a rough ride-if they occur!! Think about it HAL!!!

I'd really like to see the price go down for 2014 - greedy, aren't we?:D

Such a shame to miss Alesund; it's a lovely town with lots to do there. But it's a kick to go to Spitzbergen, and I take it you're heading to the Polar Ice Cap??? That's a thrill.

Good that you will be on your way with little to worry about.

I was the original poster and ran out of minutes to post more. They did run out of time to do the work and chose to finish it in Amsterdam. We had smooth sailing almost the entire trip. We did encounter some winds on the way back to Amsterdam which made the ship do a bit of rock and roll. However, the Captain said that it would have been that way regardless of the stabilizer. He told us that the other stabilizer did the majority of the work regardless. Of course, I have discovered that the degree one judges the ship movement is as subjective as taste in food. The rocking makes me sleepy and makes others ill. I hope the current cruise had the grand experience I did!

Prinsendam is spending Wednesday in Amsterdam as well. All aboard 4 pm with a 5 pm scheduled sailing. A letter came out this morning with onboard credit plus 25% of base fare for this cruise to be applied to a future cruise. Also free cocktails for an hour during sail away this afternoon. A shuttle to museum square also running today.

In addition to skipping Alsuend, the overnight in Reykavik has been cut so we will have only one day there.

Captain and Hotel Manager had a Q&A this morning to a hostile audience, but HAL did have some defenders who also spoke up.

The stabilizer has been successfully removed and they are now working on installing water tight covers. Good thing about Amsterdam is that the Cruise Passenger Terminal has good free WiFi.

Prinsendam is spending Wednesday in Amsterdam as well. All aboard 4 pm with a 5 pm scheduled sailing. A letter came out this morning with onboard credit plus 25% of base fare for this cruise to be applied to a future cruise. Also free cocktails for an hour during sail away this afternoon. A shuttle to museum square also running today.

In addition to skipping Alsuend, the overnight in Reykavik has been cut so we will have only one day there.

Captain and Hotel Manager had a Q&A this morning to a hostile audience, but HAL did have some defenders who also spoke up.

The stabilizer has been successfully removed and they are now working on installing water tight covers. Good thing about Amsterdam is that the Cruise Passenger Terminal has good free WiFi.

WOW - more delays:( and itinerary changes:(

What a shame - I'm glad to hear that they have recognized that this has had an impact and at least compensated you somehow. Hopefully the obc was a decent one.

Repairs take longer. They remove the stabilizer and will repair it and then replace It in three months (I guess we/they dont need them).

Departure postponed to 6 pm. Free shuttles to Amsterdam Center (museumplein) today. Total delay 25 hours. Cruise program to be rearranged.

That is so sad for all of you.

So very sorry to hear about these changes to what would have been another very special Prinsendam voyage.

What will the ship sail like now, without the use of stabilizers? Please, anyone who can provide more technical details. Thanks.

So very sorry to hear about these changes to what would have been another very special Prinsendam voyage.

What will the ship sail like now, without the use of stabilizers? Please, anyone who can provide more technical details. Thanks.

This post

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39159422&postcount=13

by a qualified Marine engineer is the best educated analysis we're likely to see. What happens will depend on very subtle design features of the ship and the seas and angle of waves to the ship. I'm sure the Captain will make every effort to minimize the impact, but they clearly want to get the issue fixed as quickly as possible.

Roy

I hope we leave in 3 hours ?.......

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I hope so too!!! Good luck - hopefully this doesn't put a damper on your entire cruise:eek:

• 4 months later...