Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

5 hours ago, Seniorsailors said:

I don’t know what to say. I booked a cruise for November 26, 7-day to Mexico from LA on Celebrity Solstice. Just me. I was too mad not to, too sad not to. My husband died last year and I am tired of staring at the walls. We loved to cruise. I still do. I don’t know if I’m going to meet people or talk to folks or make friends or why I am doing this. I’m not even getting off the boat, I just need to watch the water go bye.

So sorry for your loss.  I lost my husband in December and did my first solo cruise in August.  It was a trip we had planned together for a 50th wedding anniversary.  I promised him I would go and I did and I was also brave enough to wonder around Germany, Belgium and Southampton by myself.  It was a wonderful trip.  I met wonderful people that made this 23 journey so much easier.  The hardest part of the trip was getting on the ship and when I had his burial at sea.  

It was such a wonderful trip that I have booked another long sailing for next year.

Get on the ship, make new friends, have a wonderful time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if I've mentioned this before, but I lost my wonderful husband on 10/5/2021.

Found out I had thyroid cancer mid Nov. 2021.  After hearing that, I decided to run to California for Christmas '21 to see his nieces and their families.  Stayed in 3 different hotels since we traveled to Palm Springs.  Had a very nice time.

In April I found out I had melanoma in my arm.  

I am happy to say I am cancer free!!
No time to sit around and have a pity party for myself.  I'm making the most of the time I have left, which should hopefully be 20-25 more years.

Thank goodness I get 5 weeks vacation time each year!

I went to Hilton Head Island, SC for my birthday in early May, (it was already planned for us), took a g/f, who brought along a g/f.  Trip was fine.

Went on a cruise with those two girls in mid-July, and they of ditched me a lot.  Needless to say, she is no longer in my life.

I was just in Florida two weeks ago, (planned trip with now ex-friend, so I got to foot the whole bill), and had a wonderful time with my SIL, BIL and dh's niece, who luckily works at Universal. lol

Had the whole 2 b/r villa all to myself.  I was fine.  Swam in 5 of the 7 pools they had.  Absolutely love this place.

Mid Oct I am flying to TN and staying at a wonderful cabin just down the road from my cousin who will take me site seeing and to DollyWood.  Looking forward to this.

End of Nov. I am booked on a 5 day cruise from NY to Bermuda.  

I am getting used to traveling alone.  I'm not shy, so I have no problem speaking to strangers.
It sucks that I don't have my dh with me to travel anymore, but I did learn it's better to be alone then to be with people who will hurt you.  

• Like 7

My husband died unexpectedly in January of this year.  We had so many plans to travel with one cruise (September 2023) already booked.  I realized that no one is promised tomorrow, so I began to explore solo travel.  Cruising is my favorite way of getting from here to there, so, thanks to this board, I learned of the MSC Seascape inaugural TA coming up in November & booked it!  Also saw a good solo fare for a quick 5 day Carnival cruise out of Charleston & am leaving next week for that cruise - sort of a test drive for traveling solo.  Thanks to all those here who have provided firsthand experiences and encouragement to just get out there & get traveling!

• Like 3

I am so grateful for the generous comments and advice on how to return to cruising for newly single solo sailors like me. So many kind ladies have shared their personal  experiences. I am not real confident, but now I look forward to putting my toes back in the water. I have a lovely balcony cabin booked at the last minute while I still had my nerve; I will bring a book and a nice wrap for evenings and have my designated cocktails at different lounges. Thank you so much.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, shippmates said:

I just booked another solo cruise to the Panama Canal on Holland America next October.  I am going to continue to travel as long as I can.  It sure beats sitting at home looking at 4 walls.

Right attitude!! Enjoy your travels.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:43 PM, Mrs. H. said:

If we don't travel, what do we do, sit at home being miserable?

I can't get over how I'm so ok with flying alone.  lol

That's my attitude too, plus I like sailing solo as I get to meet lots of interesting (and some not so interesting) people along the way.

My first solo meet-up was on the Allure of the Seas. I went to the straight meet-up and met good people agreeing to spend time together after dinner.

A mix up later and we were at the gay meet-up by mistake.

Long story short (I'll tell you the full story when I see you on the next ship!), the whole crowd got on so well, it was a meet-up, not either a straight or gay meet-up, it was just a group of new friends getting together for a beer or two.

On my last cruise, I got friendly with a 70 year old woman, a 22 year old man, and a 28 year old woman.

Coming up, I'm booked on MSC from Barcelona for Christmas and P&O from Barbados to Southampton in March 23.

Happy days!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RedgeToo said:

That's my attitude too, plus I like sailing solo as I get to meet lots of interesting (and some not so interesting) people along the way.

My first solo meet-up was on the Allure of the Seas. I went to the straight meet-up and met good people agreeing to spend time together after dinner.

A mix up later and we were at the gay meet-up by mistake.

Long story short (I'll tell you the full story when I see you on the next ship!), the whole crowd got on so well, it was a meet-up, not either a straight or gay meet-up, it was just a group of new friends getting together for a beer or two.

On my last cruise, I got friendly with a 70 year old woman, a 22 year old man, and a 28 year old woman.

Coming up, I'm booked on MSC from Barcelona for Christmas and P&O from Barbados to Southampton in March 23.

Happy days!

Thanks for sharing.  Sounds you're having awesome getaways!!

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, Seniorsailors said:

I am so grateful for the generous comments and advice on how to return to cruising for newly single solo sailors like me. So many kind ladies have shared their personal  experiences. I am not real confident, but now I look forward to putting my toes back in the water. I have a lovely balcony cabin booked at the last minute while I still had my nerve; I will bring a book and a nice wrap for evenings and have my designated cocktails at different lounges. Thank you so much.

Sail on, Sister!  Although I still have my husband I travel solo as well.  At first I was frightened, but once I found my courage I discovered I could enjoy my own company, I could enjoy seeing places on my own and I could find new friends when I wanted.  After each new adventure I became more comfortable and I’m sure you will too.   I noticed solo travelers gravitate to the free (pay/tip as you see fit) walking tours at port so if I feel like being with a group I join one.  Also attending meet-ups on ship can introduce you to your ship mates. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 9:19 AM, kikimom said:

My husband died unexpectedly in January of this year.  We had so many plans to travel with one cruise (September 2023) already booked.  I realized that no one is promised tomorrow, so I began to explore solo travel.  Cruising is my favorite way of getting from here to there, so, thanks to this board, I learned of the MSC Seascape inaugural TA coming up in November & booked it!  Also saw a good solo fare for a quick 5 day Carnival cruise out of Charleston & am leaving next week for that cruise - sort of a test drive for traveling solo.  Thanks to all those here who have provided firsthand experiences and encouragement to just get out there & get traveling!

Back from my first "test drive" solo cruise.  Hurricane Ian provided some anxious moments (wondering if Charleston would get hit hard & my car parked outside at the port flooded or swept away), but gave us a bonus day onboard which was lovely!  Found I had no trouble striking up conversations with people anywhere/anytime and loved the freedom of having the cabin to myself & not having to coordinate with another person.  But, I did keenly miss my husband.  It was a bittersweet trip. 

I'm questioning if I ventured out too soon after his death and if a three week trip (17 day TA) in just 45 days will be too much for me???  Have to figure it out quickly.  I welcome others thoughts/experiences  on this.  TIA

Kikimom I also lost my husband suddenly in December and did my first solo test in June.  It was a 4 day sailing and I had a good time.  Like you it was bittersweet, but found out I can do things on my own.  The true test was a 23 day crossing on the Queen Mary 2 in August.  That trip had been planned for our 50th anniversary celebration.  I went  solo and enjoyed the ship, met many new friends and I also had a burial at sea for my husband performed by the Captain.  It was the a great trip but some days were really hard.  I have booked a 26 day crossing on the Queen Mary 2 sailing the Norway Fjords round trip from New York City in 2023.    One of the promises I made to him is I would continue to cruise as long as I can.

Enjoy your cruise and maybe someday we will meet on a ship.

• Like 3

On 10/4/2022 at 2:22 PM, shippmates said:

Kikimom I also lost my husband suddenly in December and did my first solo test in June.  It was a 4 day sailing and I had a good time.  Like you it was bittersweet, but found out I can do things on my own.  The true test was a 23 day crossing on the Queen Mary 2 in August.  That trip had been planned for our 50th anniversary celebration.  I went  solo and enjoyed the ship, met many new friends and I also had a burial at sea for my husband performed by the Captain.  It was the a great trip but some days were really hard.  I have booked a 26 day crossing on the Queen Mary 2 sailing the Norway Fjords round trip from New York City in 2023.    One of the promises I made to him is I would continue to cruise as long as I can.

Enjoy your cruise and maybe someday we will meet on a ship.

@shippmates

I wish more people had your optimism, enthusiasm, and courage. Keep cruising as long as you can.

Jim

7 hours ago, shipper50 said:

I booked on the Holland Eurodam for 5-13-2023 for 7 days to Alaska. This will only be my 3rd cruise and my first solo. Doing this as a bucket trip for my birthday as I am the last of my family and I am the only one left.

Early season is, in my opinion, the best time to see Alaska. Yes, it's going to be colder than in July or august, but there will be fewer crowds and fewer kids. You'll have a great time!

• Like 1

We did Alaska the first week of June.  The weather was cold but the mountains were beautiful with the snow on the tops.  We saw lots of animals in Denali when we did our tour.  Shipper 50 please make sure you also do the land tour before your cruise.  We saw more on the land tour than we did on the cruise.  The train ride up the White Mountain Pass into Canada is amazing.    Just make sure you have your passport.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:53 PM, bluetardis said:

I’m booked on Caribbean Princess April 1-14 2023, happy solo traveler 😊

I was thinking of booking the first leg of this as new solo ... can't make up my mind.  I'll be a new snowbird up the street in Pompano Beach from Jan-Mar and I could hop on April 1 hmmmm.

• Like 1

I am going on my first solo cruise over NewYears on HAL. My sister passed away in July. She was my best friend and travel buddy. We traveled alot and cruising had become our favorite vacation. I really didn't want to give up traveling and with the encouragement of friends, I decided to book this trip. It's a ship I've been on and an itinerary I've done before. Figured familiarity would help ease into solo travel. I used to travel for work sometimes so flying and staying pre cruise should be okay. Not sure how a whole week will go. But I figure I won't know until I try.  It's not always easy for me to talk with strangers but I have always found cruisers to be a friendly bunch. Looking forward to this cruise.

• Like 4

Regal Princess November 17th from Rome....Hi Janet Amos (55 yr old Army Veteran from Tucson Arizona). Officially cruising alone... everyone else had to cancel 😞.  Still hoping to have a good time and meet great people. Sorta anxious to do this whole trip alone but decided what the heck. Would love to meet other solo cruisers