Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Just booked NCL Epic on the 17th July, 2022, Western Mediterranean out of Barcelona. 
Any other solo cruisers who will join me?

This is my third solo cruise and the first cruise since 2017! Really looking forward to this adventure 😊

NCL Escape, Western Caribbean, July 2017

RCL Allure of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, July 2014

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nesila said:

Hi All, anyone booked on Aug 7 Cape Liberty to Reykjavik? Considering it with the price drop but 12 days solo (inside cabin) I'm unsure...

If I may suggest something - include cruise line or ship when asking these kinds of questions.  Knowing what lines sail out of that home port (Cape Liberty) I was able to deduce which sites to look at, but it took some searching to find that cruise as I had the wrong line initially.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

If I may suggest something - include cruise line or ship when asking these kinds of questions.  Knowing what lines sail out of that home port (Cape Liberty) I was able to deduce which sites to look at, but it took some searching to find that cruise as I had the wrong line initially.

good idea

Aug 7, New Jersey to Reykjavik on Celebrity Summit

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ranchette said:

Recently widowed looking to cruise out of new York or New Jersey with other solo travelers. Never traveled solo before and am a little uncomfortable going solo.

I am doing my first solo cruise out of NY in August since losing my husband in December.  It is going to be a 23 cruise but one that we had planned prior to covid in 2020.  This sailing has been rebooked 3 times and will fulfill a promise I made to him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shippmates said:

I am doing my first solo cruise out of NY in August since losing my husband in December.  It is going to be a 23 cruise but one that we had planned prior to covid in 2020.  This sailing has been rebooked 3 times and will fulfill a promise I made to him.

What ship are you going on? My husband just passed in April. We had many cruise booked but were all canceled due to Covid and then him being ill. Is the cruise 23 days?

3 hours ago, ranchette said:

What ship are you going on? My husband just passed in April. We had many cruise booked but were all canceled due to Covid and then him being ill. Is the cruise 23 days?

It is on the Queen Mary 2 round trip out of NYC.  Yes it is 23 days.  There are stops in Germany, Southampton, Amsterdam and Belgium.  So sorry for your loss.  

Edited by shippmates
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, shippmates said:

It is on the Queen Mary 2 round trip out of NYC.  Yes it is 23 days.  There are stops in Germany, Southampton, Amsterdam and Belgium.  So sorry for your loss.  

Sounds like a great trip. Do you live in New York? Thank you Sorry for your loss too.

Sadly, I am also in the same situation.  I lost my husband at the beginning of this year.  We loved cruising and had been on many over the past 20+ years.  We had a bucket list of places we still wanted to go as well as places we wanted to revisit but because of his illness and Covid we had to stop traveling about 5 yrs ago. My goal is to try and to cross off a few of those dreams from our bucket list. So far because of the current great prices I have  booked a return trip to Canada / New England for this Sept. and a B2B  in April of 23 to cross off 2 new items with a B2B of a full Panama Canal transit followed by a 7 day Alaska cruise.  These will be my first solo cruises so a whole new experience.

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your spouses.

Edited by luvs2beachit
sentence structure

3 hours ago, luvs2beachit said:

Sadly, I am also in the same situation.  I lost my husband at the beginning of this year.  We loved cruising and had been on many over the past 20+ years.  We had a bucket list of places we still wanted to go as well as places we wanted to revisit but because of his illness and Covid we had to stop traveling about 5 yrs ago. My goal is to try and to cross off a few of those dreams from our bucket list. So far because of the current great prices I have  booked a return trip to Canada / New England for this Sept. and a B2B  in April of 23 to cross off 2 new items with a B2B of a full Panama Canal transit followed by a 7 day Alaska cruise.  These will be my first solo cruises so a whole new experience.

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your spouses.

My condolence to you also for your loss. We also cruised alot sometimes 3 or 4 times a year.

Where on Long Island do you live? I am also on Long Island. I'm trying to get enough courage to book a solo cruise. You will love the Panama canal cruise and especially the Alaskan cruise.

Please let me know how you make out going solo.

Jill

• Like 1

Hi Jill,

Thank you for your condolences.  It seems we are both in the same boat, so to speak, trying to navigate new territory.  Well, maybe not new territory but rather old territory from a different direction.  I live on the south shore Plainedge/ Seaford area.  Where are you located?

I can certainly identify with your trying to get the courage to make the call because it was the same for me.  When I finally made the decision to book I was a bit surprised how ok I felt afterward.  

Edited by luvs2beachit

On 6/7/2022 at 2:14 PM, ranchette said:

My condolence to you also for your loss. We also cruised alot sometimes 3 or 4 times a year.

Where on Long Island do you live? I am also on Long Island. I'm trying to get enough courage to book a solo cruise. You will love the Panama canal cruise and especially the Alaskan cruise.

Please let me know how you make out going solo.

Jill

My condolences to you Jill.  We also cruised 3 and 4 times a year.  I had to make a different call than you as I had to call to remove my husband from our reservation for the QM2 in August.  It was hard to keep from canceling the whole cruise but when I make a promise I always keep my promises.  Hope you enjoy your cruise and there are many more cruises in your future.

4 hours ago, luvs2beachit said:

Hi Jill,

Thank you for your condolences.  It seems we are both in the same boat, so to speak, trying to navigate new territory.  Well, maybe not new territory but rather old territory from a different direction.  I live on the south shore Plainedge/ Seaford area.  Where are you located?

I can certainly identify with your trying to get the courage to make the call because it was the same for me.  When I finally made the decision to book I was a bit surprised how ok I felt afterward.  

Hi

I live in Mount Sinai on the north shore. I have a condo there.What cruise lines do you like ?

I prefer to cruise out of New York or Cape Liberty New Jersey. How about you?

1 hour ago, shippmates said:

My condolences to you Jill.  We also cruised 3 and 4 times a year.  I had to make a different call than you as I had to call to remove my husband from our reservation for the QM2 in August.  It was hard to keep from canceling the whole cruise but when I make a promise I always keep my promises.  Hope you enjoy your cruise and there are many more cruises in your future.

I know just what you mean. I have a cruise planned in January with my  sister & brother inlaw booked a few years ago and I had to remove my husbands name from the reservation also. Very sad.

@Ethereal Cruiser

In addition to reading, and posting on, this Solo Cruisers board, you should also look at the boards for the specific cruise lines you're most interested in. If, for example, you're interested in Holland America (HAL), there are always (if you scroll back in time) threads on the HAL board with a title like "What is it like to cruise solo on an HAL ship?"

I've only cruised solo on Princess (three times) and NCL (once), but I've taken cruises with my wife on five or six other lines---mostly on Cunard, Silversea, HAL, and Oceania. The only one that, from my observations onboard, is not good for solo cruisers is Oceania. It's way more "couples oriented" than the others. (Of course, others may disagree, which is why reading a range of opinions on these boards is a good idea).

Have fun!

Jim

Recent widow, DH died in March. I had to take him off 3 cruises. My sister is going with me on June 25th Infinity cruise and I will do my first solo on September17th on Celebrity Equinox. We had lots of FCC to use up and Celebrity has been great about transferring to me and let me use some for my sister. Has anyone organized a solo cruise?  It would be nice to help all of recent solo’s get the courage to go it on our own. Some days I feel brave and others not so much. 

• Like 2