NYC in February

My family and I are in desparate need of a cruise. To get away from so much bad things. But the only time is in february 2014. We live in NYC and it would be easier and cheaper. This is our second cruise so we are still new. I know the first two days will be cold, and we will do things inside, but what are the chances of having good weather and possibly use the pool and catch a mini tan if at all. I thought it would be nice to get out of NYC during the winter and get some sun. HELP!! Still a newbie:(:D

My family and I are in desparate need of a cruise. To get away from so much bad things. But the only time is in february 2014. We live in NYC and it would be easier and cheaper. This is our second cruise so we are still new. I know the first two days will be cold, and we will do things inside, but what are the chances of having good weather and possibly use the pool and catch a mini tan if at all. I thought it would be nice to get out of NYC during the winter and get some sun. HELP!! Still a newbie:(:D

Well, NYcruiser1975 you have some choice sailing from New York either Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas 7-night to the Bahamas from Bayonne, NJ - NCL Breakaway 7-night Bahamas from New York or 8-night Bahamas aboard Carnival Splendor.

Perhaps you'll join us on February 16th aboard Explorer. Sailing from New York in the winter is tremendous. So it's not 80 degrees the first day, so what! You're on vacation, you're aboard a beautiful ocean liner with tons of activities. By the end of the first sea day the weather starts getting a little balmy. You really appreciate the gradual change in climate as opposed to leaving in warm weather.

We have sailed numerous times from New York in the winter and we love it. Anytime you can skip the nonsense involved with air travel not to mention the exorbitant prices, it's a no-brainer. Book yourself a winter cruise and never look back.

Jonathan

thank you, but i am sorry, i am such a worry wort. especially since my family and i are dealing with a 2 big loses. so we reallllly need this trip. yes i was thinking the same thing about being on vacation, but the warm weather would make it better.

should we wait. or just go for it.

thank you, but i am sorry, i am such a worry wort. especially since my family and i are dealing with a 2 big loses. so we reallllly need this trip. yes i was thinking the same thing about being on vacation, but the warm weather would make it better.

should we wait. or just go for it.

Go for it! What are you waiting for?

The best thing about planning a cruise is that you will have something to look forward to for the next seven months. It's always there in the back of your mind, that escape hatch.

The NCL Gem does a 9-night round trip New York to San Juan, Puerto Rico - St. Thomas - St. Maartin and Samana, D.R.

Take the cruise from New York, it is easy. Drive or cab to the port and you're on vacation, no airports, no fuss, no muss. Rinse and repeat.

Jonathan

Carnival Splendor does an 8-night to the Bahamas from New York round trip

thats exactly it. i have not booked and it is always on my mind. i had my first cruie 3 years ago, and have been depressed i could not afford another one since. this will be the first time since then, but like i said because it has been so long i don't want bad weather once we leave nyc. i love the warm weather. i will take 2-3 out of the 8 days of warm weather were i can lay in the sun.

any one else have an idea.

You really won't likely have two days on each end in the cold.

Being in NY, you know weather can have wide range and we sailed early January, 2007 on Noordam, ten days to Caribbean and back. The day we boarded was so warm it was freaky that we barely needed jackets. We sailed at the usual 5 P.M. 'ish and when we woke the next morning, we were off coast of about Virginia. That is out of 'frigid' temperatures and in our case, we were able to be comfortably on weather decks and enjoy the warming air. From there south, weather certainly turned warm and wonderful.

Coming home, the first day going north, most of us were at the pool a good part of the day. The second day was colder.

thats exactly it. i have not booked and it is always on my mind. i had my first cruie 3 years ago, and have been depressed i could not afford another one since. this will be the first time since then, but like i said because it has been so long i don't want bad weather once we leave nyc. i love the warm weather. i will take 2-3 out of the 8 days of warm weather were i can lay in the sun.

any one else have an idea.

It's called a trade-off. You don't want the cold weather, but, you don't want the expense and the hassle of flying to Florida either.

So you book the New York Cruise, maybe it's chilly the first day but, you're bound for the tropics so who cares?

You really won't likely have two days on each end in the cold.

Being in NY, you know weather can have wide range and we sailed early Januaru, 2007 on Noordam, ten days to Caribbean and back. The day we boarded was so warm it was freaky that we barely needed jackets. We sailed at the usual 5 P.M. 'ish and when we woke the next morning, we were off coast of about Virginia. That is out of 'frigid' temperatures and in our case, we were able to be comfortably on weather decks and enjoy the warming air. Next morning we were at our first port in the Caribbean.... I don't now remember what port that was.

Coming home, the first day going north, most of us were at the pool a good part of the day. The second day was colder.

I remember that day, January 6, 2007 70 degrees people were swimming in the pool. We sailed with you Sail, great cruise. Really miss the Noordam wish she would return to New York where she belongs.

Jonathan

I've sailed from New York several times in winter. If you are going to the Caribbean your course takes you far offshore, and by early afternoon of the first full day you are in the Gulf Stream's 70 degree water. Coming back, the last day starts out cool, and gets colder as the day goes on. People who talk about two cold days down and two cold days back simply do not know what they are talking about.

In fact, the Atlantic sea water temperature off the New Jersey coast is at least 40 in January-February; so even if it's below 20 in New York harbor, it gets better as soon as you sail --- and you will find that every ship on that route has a sheltered/heated pool you can use as soon as you board.

Go for it!

I am look at a 8 day from nyc two at sea then orlando, freeport, nassau, then 2 days at sea coming home

Be very aware that this cruise is not going to the Caribbean but remains in the Atlantic where it is chilly in February. The Bahamas in the Atlantic is not the same at all weather-wise as being in the Caribbean. Sailing from NYC is a great idea, but have you looked at the NCL Gem 9 day that goes much further south into the true Caribbean which another poster mentioned? Other cruises mentioned on this thread about how warm it got were also talking about the Caribbean and not about staying as far north as the Bahamas.

Be very aware that this cruise is not going to the Caribbean but remains in the Atlantic where it is chilly in February. The Bahamas in the Atlantic is not the same at all weather-wise as being in the Caribbean. Sailing from NYC is a great idea, but have you looked at the NCL Gem 9 day that goes much further south into the true Caribbean which another poster mentioned? Other cruises mentioned on this thread about how warm it got were also talking about the Caribbean and not about staying as far north as the Bahamas.

Good point--- the Bahamas cruises sail much closer to the coast and do not get into the Gulf Stream, making the sea days much cooler. Also, when you are in the Bahamas the weather could still be very cool - and maybe not even warm enough for beach swimming. That is why the 8 day Bahamas cruise is so much less expensive than the 9 day Caribbean, which gives you warmer sea days and summer-like weather when you get there.. The cost is a major thing, but if you can swing it, you get so much more. If you can't, it is still a good idea to escape from New York in February.

It's true. Nassau is not that far south of Southern Florida and has about the same weather. Same as FLL/Miami and environs sometimes have a cold winter and Nassau can have similar.

You could be lucky and have beach weather and we often have in Nassau but you should know you cannot be absolutely sure of it.

Odds are the temperatures on a cruise in Feb will be warmer than the temps in NYC. You certainly won't be making snowmen in Port Canaveral or the Bahamas! Go for it, just don't prebook any snorkel excursions.

Odds are the temperatures on a cruise in Feb will be warmer than the temps in NYC. You certainly won't be making snowmen in Port Canaveral or the Bahamas! Go for it, just don't prebook any snorkel excursions.

that's what i was thinking not to preorder excursions like i did las time, but how late can you book excusions on board

that's what i was thinking not to preorder excursions like i did las time, but how late can you book excusions on board

You can book excursions on the ship right up until port day assuming there is space available. If they are sold out, obviously no more bookings can be made.

I am look at a 8 day from nyc two at sea then orlando, freeport, nassau, then 2 days at sea coming home

We sail out of NYC in Janaury all the time. I won't take the cruise you are looking at because there aren't enough warm days for my tastes.

We take the 9-11 day to the Carribbean. It has 4 sea days: 2 on each end & 5 islands. The first & last days are indoor activities only. The other 2 sea days are warm enough to use the pools etc. because you are basically off the coast of Florida.

Check out the NCL Gem cruise that leaves on Saturday Feb 8. It comes back the following Monday, President's Day, so you only have to take 5 days off from work & you still get the longer vacation.

I used to go to NYC every year in February. It's cold. Sometimes there is snow and sometimes not but it's still cold. If you sail somewhere warm though you can probably escape the cold weather in a day or two. But even so, I'd be careful about the weather as far as getting in and out of the city and to the port. If there happens to be snowstorm on the day you are leaving you could have problems. I only came across one snowstorm in the last 5 or 6 years of my trips to NY but it nearly shut down the entire city,

Archived