Dressing for dinner

sta319

Yes I was meaning blue jeans in the GDR for dinner - :eek:

But of course, people wear jeans, of all shapes, sizes, types, colours during the day in and around the ship, and nothing wrong with that!

When I was telling the DH about this topic he said "and did you tell them about the baseball cap?" My answer "do you think I should, dare I??" LOL! It could be mentioned in the same sentence as white trainers, dinner, GDR, but to spare us all, I will only say, yes there was the wearing of a baseball cap at dinner. But again, each to her own. ;)

All I can say is YIKES :eek:

I guess the dress code says we REQUEST jeans t-shirts & trainers not be worn & some chose not to observe thew request

Lyn

We will be on Nautica in September, Barcelona to Athens. I like to wear summer dresses and sandals and a wrap in the evenings. We have not sailed on Oceania before.

I just booked our dinner reservations. I was surprised that several evenings there were no reservations available until 9:00 pm. Will have to have a snack late afternoon.:rolleyes:

Dresses & great accessories (wraps, jewelery) are also my favorite. I found that on our O cruises the black pant was worn a lot- resembled a uniform...not to say it isn't nice but on warm weather holidays, especially the Med., I like to change it up a bit. I can also manage to pack several colored fancy sandals using 'packing cubes'. We have worn jeans to early breakfasts in the GDR before going out on excursions & at the Terrace buffet for dinner post touring. We travel with 2 carryons & 2 totes. Don't forget that you can go to afternoon tea to hold you over till dinner. You can also try and change reservations once you board.

There may be reservations earlier for those nights once you are onboard. They do not book the restaurants completely full before sailing for obvious reasons.

There will be many opening to accommodate those that have not booked online and those that will want extra reservation. Just check with reservations desk once onboard.

Enjoy your cruise.

Another possibility is the ur asking to dine alone-- just the two of you

You will have more time options if ur willing to share

We love to share. We meet great people that way

We can eat alone any time

Dresses & great accessories (wraps, jewelery) are also my favorite. I found that on our O cruises the black pant was worn a lot- resembled a uniform...not to say it isn't nice but on warm weather holidays, especially the Med., I like to change it up a bit. I can also manage to pack several colored fancy sandals using 'packing cubes'. We have worn jeans to early breakfasts in the GDR before going out on excursions & at the Terrace buffet for dinner post touring. We travel with 2 carryons & 2 totes. Don't forget that you can go to afternoon tea to hold you over till dinner. You can also try and change reservations once you board.

Love, love, love my packing cubes! I don't go anywhere without them. If you like to pack light and be organized, these are just the best! I especially like that when we check into a hotel for a couple of days I can slide the whole cube into a drawer or on a shelf, unzip it and I am done.

Jeans are not acceptable (no matter what colour or price) in the dining venues for dinner with the exception of the Terrace

I'm amused that a $10 pair of black cotton slacks from Walmart would be acceptable but a nice pair of $100+ pair of classy, well cut, colored jeans(not blue denim) from Chicos wouldn't be. I can understand plain blue denim, Levis, Wranglers, Lee etc. would be frowned on but not the nice colored ones.

Just want to post my observations of how women dressed on our Riviera cruise (end of May - beginning of June)....... did not see one pair of jeans on any woman - of any color. Did however see a couple of men wearing baggy, worn out jeans -- not in a restaurant but walking around the ship around 10:00 p.m. I paid particular attention to how passengers dressed because it was our first Oceania cruise. In the specialty restaurants, many men wore jackets and slacks. About 50% of women wore dresses (not fancy) - wonder if they are coming back into style?

Just want to post my observations of how women dressed on our Riviera cruise (end of May - beginning of June)....... did not see one pair of jeans on any woman - of any color. Did however see a couple of men wearing baggy, worn out jeans -- not in a restaurant but walking around the ship around 10:00 p.m. I paid particular attention to how passengers dressed because it was our first Oceania cruise. In the specialty restaurants, many men wore jackets and slacks. About 50% of women wore dresses (not fancy) - wonder if they are coming back into style?

Yes. Dresses are back. There were many women in dresses on my last o cruise -- particularly in the specialty restaurants

Yes. Dresses are back. There were many women in dresses on my last o cruise -- particularly in the specialty restaurants

Don't forget to pack a Maxi dress....they're back from the 70's!!!!

If I would have kept them, the stretchy ones would still fit;)

Did dresses ever go out of style? There have always been plenty in fashion magazines and department stores.

I have always preferred wearing a dress or skirt to slacks. I find them feminine and comfortable and like they way they look on me as well as the way they feel.

I plan to pack one maxi dress and three knee length jersey dresses for our fall cruise and a great pair of black heels I can wear with all of them.

Did dresses ever go out of style? There have always been plenty in fashion magazines and department stores.

I have always preferred wearing a dress or skirt to slacks. I find them feminine and comfortable and like they way they look on me as well as the way they feel.

I plan to pack one maxi dress and three knee length jersey dresses for our fall cruise and a great pair of black heels I can wear with all of them.

Like you i have always worn dresses onboard and seldom wear slacks but bring them just in case. Depending on the temperature, I live in Jams World (hattie) dresses because they are comfortable, cool and feminine. I trip over my big feet in long dresses :). Thanks for the website on the packing cubes.

Have to agree with the dresses ... Nothing nicer than getting that floaty feeling and there were lots of very nice dresses, all lengths. Worn with little cardigans, shawls (pashminas), more formal jackets, floaty fine (very light weight) cardigans - it was all there and quite colourful as well. I've been wearing maxi dresses for a few years now, and they are great for packing for holiday - takes me straight back to my carefree youth! ;) :)

I see nothing wrong at all with nice "jeans", that is the ones that True45 is talking about or the chino type - I think it's the work type blue jeans that are not really so.

Mind you there was a fad here a couple of years back at black tie dinners with some of our US expat "boys" wearing their dinner jackets (tux) with their blue jeans and cowboy boots! It looked very sexy and I really liked it, but I do rather like the "southern boys" with their charming manners anyway ;):D. Of course they looked absolutely fine and "correctly" dressed when they were sitting at the dinner table, but when they stood up! It was hilarious to see the faces of some "establishment" people! :eek: LOL!

Eileen Fisher makes beautiful clothes for women that will fit in everywhere, are comfortable and made of great travel fabric including white jeans which I have worn to dinner in the GDR and all the speciality restaurnts many times on the ships along with a lovely long sweater and dressy sandals.

Eileen Fisher makes beautiful clothes for women that will fit in everywhere, are comfortable and made of great travel fabric including white jeans which I have worn to dinner in the GDR and all the speciality restaurnts many times on the ships along with a lovely long sweater and dressy sandals.

Hi. Mary. Hugs to Barry:)

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is very much appreciated. White jeans by Eileen Fisher and Chicos worn with tunic type sweaters, shirts or blouses are generally accepted as 'country club casual' when worn with dressy sandals in many up-scale establishments.

Another possibility is the ur asking to dine alone-- just the two of you

You will have more time options if ur willing to share

We love to share. We meet great people that way

We can eat alone any time

I had not thought about sharing. Yes, it is a good idea. I will change the size of the table and see if other reservation times pop up.

Will also have to enjoy some scones!

I think that white jeans can look quite smart with a pretty top and people would not consider them jeans.

Thank you everyone. My chicos white jeans will be packed -- I wear them to nice restaurants all the time. We all have our favorite slacks.

But yesterday I bought a cute crochet type dress too for the cruise although dresses are not my thing really anymore.

Linda

I'm amused that a $10 pair of black cotton slacks from Walmart would be acceptable but a nice pair of $100+ pair of classy, well cut, colored jeans(not blue denim) from Chicos wouldn't be. I can understand plain blue denim, Levis, Wranglers, Lee etc. would be frowned on but not the nice colored ones.

I think the key thing in determining the appropriateness of jeans is whether or not they have a French seam down the outside of the leg. This immediately brands a pair of jeans as casual no matter what the color. If they have a normal seam down the outside, as my black jeans do, you can get away with murder (as long as the somewhat tell-tale pockets are covered by your top). Google "French seam image" & you'll see what I mean.

I think the key thing in determining the appropriateness of jeans is whether or not they have a French seam down the outside of the leg. This immediately brands a pair of jeans as casual no matter what the color. If they have a normal seam down the outside, as my black jeans do, you can get away with murder (as long as the somewhat tell-tale pockets are covered by your top). Google "French seam image" & you'll see what I mean.

Especially if that "French seam" is sewn in contrasting color. ;)

Just had a quick look at my 501's, normal seam on the outside, but a French seam on the inside, I guess I'm good to go.:rolleyes:

I believe Lynn said any color, any price is not acceptable. I'm sure many people with high dollar designer jeans wouldn't agree. I personally feel that nice ladies colored jeans are fine, until someone in authority at Oceania says differently.

I believe Lynn said any color, any price is not acceptable. I'm sure many people with high dollar designer jeans wouldn't agree. I personally feel that nice ladies colored jeans are fine, until someone in authority at Oceania says differently.

I corrected my statement in post #26

Oceania REQUESTS no jeans T-shirts for dinner

I guess until it is more specific in the dress code rules....anything goes

If you have a nice designer sweatsuit does it make it acceptable to wear to dinner

:confused:

My personal opinion is jeans do not belong in the dining venues for dinner with the exception of the Terrace

YMMV

everyone is entitled to an opinion ..right or wrong it is just an opinion

you do not have to agree with me nor I with you

Lyn

Just had a quick look at my 501's, normal seam on the outside, but a French seam on the inside, I guess I'm good to go.:rolleyes:

Nice try, but I don't think so! Now just put that rolly-eyed thing away. ;)

I corrected my statement in post #26

Oceania REQUESTS no jeans T-shirts for dinner

I guess until it is more specific in the dress code rules....anything goes

If you have a nice designer sweatsuit does it make it acceptable to wear to dinner

:confused:

My personal opinion is jeans do not belong in the dining venues for dinner with the exception of the Terrace

YMMV

everyone is entitled to an opinion ..right or wrong it is just an opinion

you do not have to agree with me nor I with you

Lyn

It's not a matter of agreeing or not agreeing. I truly would like to know the official position of Oceania on nice colored women's jeans. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just looking for a clarification. As we can see many people have different interpretations for women's wear. I feel a nice pair of black, orange, purple, white, yellow etc jeans look much nicer than many tan or black slacks that some women wear.

I also believe that a man in a nice pair of jeans with a blazer and tucked in shirt looks quite acceptable in a dinner setting. That would be an opinion. Just because it's my opinion it wouldn't make it right to for me to wear on Oceania though. While I wear that on Celebrity since it's allowed on casual night I wouldn't on Oceania. I'm pretty big on following rules, as long as they're clear enough to follow.

For what it's worth I think a request is the same as a rule, it's just a nicer way of saying it. Other people see it only as a suggestion and do what they please. That I don't agree with.

Archived