Specialty Restaurants

trixietx

Pinnacle has great steaks, Caneletto has Italian.

On the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam there is another one, Tamarind, an Asian-influenced restaurant, which is considered the best by some pax.

Since you are sailing on the Volendam, you have the Pinnacle (lunch and dinner) and Caneletto.

Enjoy!

What are you favorite specialty restaurants and what do the serve? This is our first HAL cruise and I was just wandering.:)

Here are the menus for the specialty restaurants in pdf format so that you can print them for dining planning.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

Pinnacle Lunch -- $10 per person -- can not be booked until you are on the ship.

Pinnacle Dinner -- $25 per person -- can be pre-booked or booked once you are on the ship.

Tamarind lunch -- free -- can not be booked until you are on the ship.

Tamarind dinner -- $15 per person -- can be pre-booked or booked once you are on the ship.

Canaletto -- only open for dinner -- $10 per person -- can be pre-booked or booked once you are on the ship.

If you pre-book any of the specialty restaurants for dinner -- have your credit card handy -- you pay for them right away.

It's not just about the food. I ate at the Canaletto on the second night of the Ryndam Baltic cruise two weeks ago. The maître d' remembered my name whenever I saw him for the rest of the cruise. Also couldn't resist eating at the Pinnacle 3 times - easier if you get the 25/50 per cent cover charge reduction for 3/4 star mariners.

Just curious - everyone mentions the steaks at Pinnacle. How about seafood there? I usually like to order seafood (especially shellfish) when I am eating at a special restaurant, since I don't have the culinary expertise to make it well at home. But I do like steak a lot, too. Is steak a better choice at Pinnacle for the best experience?

I know this is a subjective topic, but just wondering if the steak is so outstanding that it is the recommended choice.

Just curious - everyone mentions the steaks at Pinnacle. How about seafood there? I usually like to order seafood (especially shellfish) when I am eating at a special restaurant, since I don't have the culinary expertise to make it well at home. But I do like steak a lot, too. Is steak a better choice at Pinnacle for the best experience?

I know this is a subjective topic, but just wondering if the steak is so outstanding that it is the recommended choice.

Seafood is so-so. The Ocean Platter appetizer is usually great, maybe rather large portions, but the hot and cold smoked salmon is good. The salmon can be dry, but usually fine; the halibut good usually. As you can see, not rave reviews. The lobster is what I order as it is consistently good and small enough to allow me dessert!

You're going to get differing opinions on this one...food is subjective and I have found the quality can vary ship to ship. However, on the ones we have been on the lobster is NOT like the one served in the MDR. It is actually quite good as are the shrimp. (caveat - I am a Maritimer and we get good lobster here - now , it's not quite the same, but it's pretty dam good:D)

Their steak is very good as are their flambes.

However, both DH and I have opted for fish on several occasions and we have walked away happy and full:D

I would say that the steaks are better than the fish - just by nature of the beast - but that's superlative versus super - so I think you will be fine either way.:D

Now, be prepared for the differing opinions.

btw - the caesar salad is very edible as are the yummy crab cakes:D

I often order grilled salmon in Pinnacle. I eat meat but not very often. If we go to Pinnacle two or three times in a cruise, that is too much beef for me.

I also order grilled salmon in the MDR and it is usually good to very good but I think it better in Pinnacle. Maybe they choose the 'best pieces' to serve in Pinnacle or maybe they are grilling it on the superhot grill so it gets a bit of crust? I usually enjoy it. :)

Seafood is so-so. The Ocean Platter appetizer is usually great, maybe rather large portions, but the hot and cold smoked salmon is good. The salmon can be dry, but usually fine; the halibut good usually. As you can see, not rave reviews. The lobster is what I order as it is consistently good and small enough to allow me dessert!

You're going to get differing opinions on this one...food is subjective and I have found the quality can vary ship to ship. However, on the ones we have been on the lobster is NOT like the one served in the MDR. It is actually quite good as are the shrimp. (caveat - I am a Maritimer and we get good lobster here - now , it's not quite the same, but it's pretty dam good:D)

Their steak is very good as are their flambes.

However, both DH and I have opted for fish on several occasions and we have walked away happy and full:D

I would say that the steaks are better than the fish - just by nature of the beast - but that's superlative versus super - so I think you will be fine either way.:D

Now, be prepared for the differing opinions.

btw - the caesar salad is very edible as are the yummy crab cakes:D

When lobster tails were originally introduced in the PG -- they were huge and delicious. Then suddenly they shrunk!! Four bites and it was all gone. On the ships we have been on - and I asked -- the PG lobsters are the same ones as served in the dining room. And we don't like those either.

The fish has always been excellent.

When lobster tails were originally introduced in the PG -- they were huge and delicious. Then suddenly they shrunk!! Four bites and it was all gone. On the ships we have been on - and I asked -- the PG lobsters are the same ones as served in the dining room. And we don't like those either.

The fish has always been excellent.

Not to be one to argue Yonnie, but the lobster we had in the PG was NOT the same as the MDR. Guaranteed. It was not 4 bites and gone.

Remember I appreciate lobster - and know the difference too;)

Looks like it's again different ships, different week's experiences. I'm just glad that mine were good.

I don't think you have been on the Prinsendam? The PG there has been very good from my experience.

by the way, I always ask too before I order - I have no interest in eating an MDR lobster - I have been told definitely not on more than one occasion and it was evident that it was not the same lobster.

Not to be one to argue Yonnie, but the lobster we had in the PG was NOT the same as the MDR. Guaranteed. It was not 4 bites and gone.

Remember I appreciate lobster - and know the difference too;)

Looks like it's again different ships, different week's experiences. I'm just glad that mine were good.

I don't think you have been on the Prinsendam? The PG there has been very good from my experience.

by the way, I always ask too before I order - I have no interest in eating an MDR lobster - I have been told definitely not on more than one occasion and it was evident that it was not the same lobster.

The Zaandam Pinnacle is serving the six bites and its gone variety of lobster. HAl's famous inconsistency. Both times it was quite good!

Archived