PCC just a TA?

dawei

Starting a few days after booking our first HAL cruise in over a decade (via phone with HAL), we began receiving e-mails from a person identifying himself as our PCC, offering to help us select and book a cruise. It appeared that his "agency" is HAL itself.

I still don't understand who he is, how he knows us (unless it's due to our HAL account), and why his timing was so poor--offering to help us book a cruise when we had just completed exactly that!

I've seen others here on CC make reference to a PCC, so it most likely will be easy for someone to please explain, since I've been out of the loop for awhile.

Starting a few days after booking our first HAL cruise in over a decade (via phone with HAL), we began receiving e-mails from a person identifying himself as our PCC, offering to help us select and book a cruise. It appeared that his "agency" is HAL itself.

I still don't understand who he is, how he knows us (unless it's due to our HAL account), and why his timing was so poor--offering to help us book a cruise when we had just completed exactly that!

I've seen others here on CC make reference to a PCC, so it most likely will be easy for someone to please explain, since I've been out of the loop for awhile.

A PCC is basically a TA working for and with HAL. They book only HAL cruises and are employed by HAL

What you have received is an introductory email/mail. I believe since you booked with HAl directly you could transfer this booking to the PCC to get more personalized service. (not sure on this one, but since you can transfer to a TA, I would think you can transfer to a PCC).

Hopefully those who use PCC's see this and can add info for you:D

I have engaged a HAL PCC to complete our arrangements for our upcoming NE/Canada cruise this October. We received our introduction to him, upon our return from AK in 2009 onboard the Volendam. He fills the same roll as any TA, but does have a more direct relationship to this one line.

Marilyn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As others have said a PCC is really just a TA who works for and with a specific line. For a change, I normally work with an Internet TA, I'm working with a Seabourn PCC for our Med cruise next year. HAL and Seabourn have merged operations in Seattle to cut overhead but I think my PCC works only for Seabourn. I'll have to say he's been very helpful so far. Interestingly he and I are alumni of the same small university in Tacoma, WA and with only four years difference in graduation date had some of the same professors. My previous experience with a couple of HAL PCCs wasn't as good but it wasn't bad, I could just do better on my own.

My travel agent retired a few years ago and then started using PCC, I like them, on one cruise was told that main seating was full and he got us main seating, also I think you have a better chance for upsell since offer will go directly to you, not your TA

I have been using a PCC for about 8 years now and am on my third. Each has been very good. The first gave me to the second when she left, second passed me on to the third.

What I have found is that the PCC group is like a large travel agency dedicated to HAL. There is someone to answer the phone seven days a week, and it seems for about 10 or 12 hours a day. If your PCC is not available, someone else from the group will handle your needs and pass it on to your PCC. I have never had any problems having concerns answered in a timely manner, but then again I am low maintenance.

Another benefit to using a PCC is that my credits show up online.

I tried using a Travel Agent recommended by a friend but was very unhappy with the result. As a solo booking outside cabins, I have never been offered enough from a TA to warrant using them.

I have used a big name company TA for years and the service level and perks they provide have gone down hill, so I switched to a PCC from HAL.

While it is still too early to judge (we have not cruised yet with her booking), so far I am glad we switched. While the PCC does not know the answers to alot of my questions, she is very willing to check them out and gets back to me quickly. Plus, I like the ability to see my credits and misc. stuff on my online account with HAL - saves alot of time and telephone calls.

DaveOKC

The cruise line PCC's are TA's.

But that term 'just a TA' can be very misleading. Over the years we have had a few excellent TA's. And there have been many, what I call, 'fare bookers' in between.

We do most of our own booking-on line. One reason for that is that there are fewer and fewer really good TA's who know the business well and specialize in certain areas. We had one for an African trip last fall. She was actually located in South Africa but internet and Skype eliminated the distance issue for us. It took us about five attempts to find her. She was certainly more than 'just a TA' -she advised us what to book thru her and what to book directly on our own. Our trip was fabulous-in a large part because of her insight. Her recommendations enhanced our travel experience and saved us money that we could spend elsewhere.

The local TA's wanted to sell us air/tour packages from the back page of a brochure. They simply did not listen to what we wanted or did not know enough to handle the request. No matter what the destination, we find this all too often. No wonder so many of them have gone out of business.

We are so tired of the ones who phone, the ones who sit at their desks and try to imply that they are experts. You can tell in about 2 seconds if he or she knows the business.

We have had our PCC for years. She's worth her weight in gold. She answers phone calls and emails immediately, is on top of everything, looks out for us and is extremely knowledgeable. She takes cruises on HAL too, so she knows HAL.

She recently took a couple days off, and her regular fill-in took my final payment and answered questions immediately just as she does. I like the quick, personal attention. She phones me about updates or upgrade opportunities, not just email. I also love being able to see my credits online.

We use an internet agency when we sail on Celebrity, but we prefer the personal attention given by our HAL PCC. And since we sail HAL more often than Celebrity, that's all fine.

We have had our PCC for years. She's worth her weight in gold. She answers phone calls and emails immediately, is on top of everything, looks out for us and is extremely knowledgeable. She takes cruises on HAL too, so she knows HAL.

She recently took a couple days off, and her regular fill-in took my final payment and answered questions immediately just as she does. I like the quick, personal attention. She phones me about updates or upgrade opportunities, not just email. I also love being able to see my credits online.

We use an internet agency when we sail on Celebrity, but we prefer the personal attention given by our HAL PCC. And since we sail HAL more often than Celebrity, that's all fine.

Wow, I wish I had that PCC. We adored our first one and booked twice with him and received wonderful advice from him. He left HAL and we have been assigned others. The latest one has been snippy and I'd like to change. Does anyone know how to do that?

I don't know if the role of the PCC has changed since the first one and the ones there are salespeople only and not advisers/TAs like our initial one was. Or maybe we just had a gem the first time.

Wow, I wish I had that PCC. We adored our first one and booked twice with him and received wonderful advice from him. He left HAL and we have been assigned others. The latest one has been snippy and I'd like to change. Does anyone know how to do that?

I don't know if the role of the PCC has changed since the first one and the ones there are salespeople only and not advisers/TAs like our initial one was. Or maybe we just had a gem the first time.

I think you just had a gem the first time, as we do now. You can always change PCCs.

I'd be happy to give you the name of ours, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here? :confused:

We find the 'chat up' a good indicator. If he or she spends more time chatting us up and passing the time of day than actually listening to our requirements then that is a good indicator for us that we have a dud. We don't view chatting us up as a value add.

I think you just had a gem the first time, as we do now. You can always change PCCs.

I'd be happy to give you the name of ours, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here? :confused:

Hi Carolyn

You can change PCCs easily, but CC rules prohibit naming PCCs on this board.

I think there are several good ones. I know that the second one I had was shared

by several CC members.

We find the 'chat up' a good indicator. If he or she spends more time chatting us up and passing the time of day than actually listening to our requirements then that is a good indicator for us that we have a dud. We don't view chatting us up as a value add.

I think the "chat up" does help. This is where the PCC (or TA) can find out what some of your likes/dislikes are, if they are good, without you realizing it.

Hi Carolyn

You can change PCCs easily, but CC rules prohibit naming PCCs on this board.

Hi Rich, that's what I thought, and was hoping someone like you would come along to let us know. :)

HokiePoq, I know there is a woman who is the supervisor over all the PCCs, I would call HAL and ask to speak to her. :)

I think there are several good ones. I know that the second one I had was shared

by several CC members.

I think the "chat up" does help. This is where the PCC (or TA) can find out what some of your likes/dislikes are, if they are good, without you realizing it.

I agree.

I agree.

After years of using two well known travel agencies located in Boston we decided to use a HAL PCC and have booked our last two cruises with him. Were very happy with his service and attention--among other things besides both calls and emails he got our stateroom changed from port to starboard (which we had requested) and directly oppposite the door into the Neptune lounge which was so convenient. I could run back and forth to bring coffee, snacks etc to the room each day. We would certainly request him again.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will try calling and asking for supervisor.

As for chatting, our beloved first PCC would remember us from previous calls and bookings and ask about things in our lives. I thought that was amazing from someone on the opposite coast we'd never seen. Helped us through the traumatic cancellation of our Panama Canal cruise.....and he'd gotten us an upgrade, only one we've ever gotten on any line without calling and asking ourselves.

Archived