Making Final Payment Early

startwin

I'm thinking of paying in full for my cruise well in advance of the final payment date, by several months. I just want to get it out of the way before I am tempted to spend the money elsewhere:o But I'm wondering what would happen if there are price drops before final payment date, but after I've paid in full. Would I still be able to get the lower price? Does anyone have any experience of this?

I'm thinking of paying in full for my cruise well in advance of the final payment date, by several months. I just want to get it out of the way before I am tempted to spend the money elsewhere:o But I'm wondering what would happen if there are price drops before final payment date, but after I've paid in full. Would I still be able to get the lower price? Does anyone have any experience of this?

My sister did that before our Hawaii trip, when the price dropped she got a credit back on her card. YMMV

Rich

I've also heard of folks getting the reduction because it is before final is due.

I've got a great solution. Send your money to me and I'll look after it:D;):p.

Not something we would do in case we had to cancel before final pymt date. I know we would eventually get our credit card credited if we cancelled, but would rather just have a deposit in limbo, not the full amount. Certainly a decision everyone makes for themselves, but not sure I understand why give a company our $$$ before it is due when it is something we haven't received value for yet. We have our TA pay with our CC a few days early to be sure it is on the cruise line's books by due date.

Not something we would do in case we had to cancel before final pymt date. I know we would eventually get our credit card credited if we cancelled, but would rather just have a deposit in limbo, not the full amount. Certainly a decision everyone makes for themselves, but not sure I understand why give a company our $$$ before it is due when it is something we haven't received value for yet. We have our TA pay with our CC a few days early to be sure it is on the cruise line's books by due date.

Actually, I believe startwin is in Canada - here the last time I checked as long as it is less than 4 months - you can dispute and get your money back toute de suite.

I can actually understand paying early - especially if paid in US $ and you are Cdn - rates can fluctuate quicly:(

startwin - just check with your credit card company and make sure that you are within the time frame in case (heaven forbid) and the rules.

I think you will find that it is easy to get your money back assuming you have a good credit card company if necessary. (heaven forbid).

Thankfully, Canada's banking laws and credit card laws are very good and fair to the consumer - most times;)

On the majority of my cruises, they are either paid in full when booking or paid early.

On all but one, when the price went down, either a OBC or refund (that was a shocker to see a credit from HAL in my bank account on that one). The one time when it was less than $100, I didn't get a OBC,but a great upgrade worth alot more.

I know some people state why let HAL have your money early. To me, I like paying off things early and it's one less thing to deal with.

Actually, I believe startwin is in Canada - here the last time I checked as long as it is less than 4 months - you can dispute and get your money back toute de suite.

I can actually understand paying early - especially if paid in US $ and you are Cdn - rates can fluctuate quicly:(

startwin - just check with your credit card company and make sure that you are within the time frame in case (heaven forbid) and the rules.

I think you will find that it is easy to get your money back assuming you have a good credit card company if necessary. (heaven forbid).

Thankfully, Canada's banking laws and credit card laws are very good and fair to the consumer - most times;)

Thanks, good advice. Will hold off a little while longer to be within the right time frame.

Thanks, good advice. Will hold off a little while longer to be within the right time frame.

and do give your credit card company a quick call - different ones may have different rules and rules can change;) sorry retired banker coming out in me:eek:

I've also heard of folks getting the reduction because it is before final is due.

I've got a great solution. Send your money to me and I'll look after it:D;):p.

Don't do it, Startwin. She'll just use it to take another cruise. :D

On several booked cruise we have seen a price reduction after final payment.

In contacting our Holland America PCC we have usually been offered either an upgrade/sell or increased OBC.

We have really enjoyed and benefited by having our own Hal Personal Cruise Consultant.

Usually, not the greatest cruise deal available but the direct link to a very competent individual is worth it.

Our favorite words from our PCC. "Let me check with shift supervisor of that division" or referred to another competent named representative, is well worth it.

Bottom line. You never know until you ask and we have been very pleased with the answers from our Holland America PCC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorekauf

I've got a great solution. Send your money to me and I'll look after it.

Don't do it, Startwin. She'll just use it to take another cruise.

Hey I'll cut you in for half :D:p;).

Good idea- you'll get full value by not paying a single supplement.... :)

Archived