retiring on a cruise ship

i was wondering and curios to know how realistic is to retire on a cruise ship

Does anybody know or any of the members on these forums are or planning to retire on a cruise ship, Are there any cruise line where they make easy to such a step?

The Cruise Director on the Glory was telling me about a passenger they have like that.

An older gentleman, who had lost his wife, spends 3 out of every 4 weeks on Glory. That 4th week, he spends with one of his 3 kids. It costs him somewhere around $2k a month for his cabin and food, etc. Not bad.

People live in nursing homes because they can no longer care for themselves in a proper manner. I volunteer at a nursing home and found that 80% of the residents have dementia and would be unable to live on a cruise ship alone. SO, living on a cruise ship in retirement years would be much different from getting the care normally needed by nursing home residents. As much as I cruise and love cruising, there's no place like home and if you've ever been sick on a ship you understand what I mean.

There are people who have lived on cruise ships. I don't know of any participating in Cruise Critic.

Lorraine Artz lived for years on Princess ships. She was always on one of the ones that does the exotic itineraries, so she was going all over the world. In her case, she spent 5 months on the ship and then went home to the LA area for a month. Then back on, etc.

Sadly a couple of years ago, she reached the point that the ship did not have the support she required, so her son came and moved her to a shoreside assisted living facility. I believe she was in the vicinity of 5,000 days on Princess when she left.

There are people who have lived on cruise ships. I don't know of any participating in Cruise Critic.

Lorraine Artz lived for years on Princess ships. She was always on one of the ones that does the exotic itineraries, so she was going all over the world. In her case, she spent 5 months on the ship and then went home to the LA area for a month. Then back on, etc.

Sadly a couple of years ago, she reached the point that the ship did not have the support she required, so her son came and moved her to a shoreside assisted living facility. I believe she was in the vicinity of 5,000 days on Princess when she left.

Bea Muller lived on the QE2 for years

There was a gentleman named Egon who posted here under "Never too old" who did it for about a year. He sailed on a number of MSC ships for varying itineraries.

Unfortunately, he suffered a stroke and is back in Canada now.

Suggest you do a search of this topic in the CC Forum as much has been discussed the past several years regarding this subject. It's not a new topic for these boards.

Yes I have been on cruises in which people have sold their homes and now cruise in 3-4 month increments. It's not a replacement for Nursing Homes as the types of services a person would need under these circumstance won't be provided by any cruise line. You have to be in fairly good general health and have a very good international healthcare/evacuation insurance policy. It's actually done more than one would think.

There is a guy on the liberty last year who was on his like 25th in a row cruise. I'll be looking for him on the liberty next year!

Hey neighbor. There is a gentleman who retired a number of years ago and basically lives on RCI ships in Junior Suites with only a few weeks off ship each year. There was a CC article about him some time ago, but in terms of cruises, he is in the multiple hundreds!

Here is a recent thread about that. I think there has been another recent one but can't remember which forum it was on.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1764703&highlight=retire+on+ship

Interesting link you put in here. Thank you. I also kept following links in the one you posted and I find that there is a ship called "World' where they sell apartment ( from studio to three bedroom)

Here a video, which is really relaxing ....and why not lets dream a little bit ...that doesn't cost anything

http://aboardtheworld.com/video.htm

The bad part would be the same food choices week after week.

Well, lets put it this way, even now when i go to the supermarket i find myself pretty much buying the same things whatever could be chicken or beef or fish etc and then I have to cook it, so I really think that, as far as that I wouldn't have problem beside the fact that they have different way of dining : dining room, buffet, etc and they do change their menu every once in a while. Another thing it could be done is take a couple of different dishes put them together ...and there it goes I made a new dish lol!:;)

Suggest you do a search of this topic in the CC Forum as much has been discussed the past several years regarding this subject. It's not a new topic for these boards.

Yes I have been on cruises in which people have sold their homes and now cruise in 3-4 month increments. It's not a replacement for Nursing Homes as the types of services a person would need under these circumstance won't be provided by any cruise line. You have to be in fairly good general health and have a very good international healthcare/evacuation insurance policy. It's actually done more than one would think.[/quote

It is without doubts something that is feasible for everybody and especially for those that they need Nursery Home assistance

The bad part would be the same food choices week after week.

Go on a ship with longer cruises. For instance we have a b2b 48 days long starting in September. SO in nearly 7 weeks we will not have any menu more than twice.

Until about a year ago, HAL had a woman -- MaMa Lu who stayed on HAL ships quite a bit. Her children about 12 or so years ago wanted to put her in a nursing home and she went cruising instead. Her health actually improved for several years.

She had well over 5000 days on HAL ships.

The Cruise Director on the Glory was telling me about a passenger they have like that.

An older gentleman, who had lost his wife, spends 3 out of every 4 weeks on Glory.

That 4th week, he spends with one of his 3 kids.

It costs him somewhere around $2k a month for his cabin and food, etc. Not bad.

That's a realistic ratio of time on board vs. time ashore

to handle bills and other stuff.

Archived