retiring on a cruise ship

The Cruise Director on the Glory was telling me about a passenger they have like that.

An older gentleman, who had lost his wife, spends 3 out of every 4 weeks on Glory. That 4th week, he spends with one of his 3 kids. It costs him somewhere around $2k a month for his cabin and food, etc. Not bad.

And this 2k I suppose is on a double occupancy

We know people who do about 20 weeks a year on cruise ships (avoiding the bad weather seasons at home) and are on shore the rest of the time. they do a lot of planning and book cruises far in advance to get the best prices.

Some of the cruise lines really work with people like this.

We are in the process of downsizing so that we can travel more and cruises will be part of our travel plans.

i was wondering and curios to know how realistic is to retire on a cruise ship

Does anybody know or any of the members on these forums are or planning to retire on a cruise ship, Are there any cruise line where they make easy to such a step?

I hope so! That's my dream!:)

We have met 1 widow (who practically lives on Cunard ships) and a couple who spend about 10-11 months a year on Princess (used to be on the Royal Princess and we do not know their current ship of choice). We have heard of others including a lady who has a name plague on her cabin door. Some argue that cruising is often cheaper then living in an assisted living center...and you get many of the same services.

Hank

The bad part would be the same food choices week after week.

I think the selection and rotation would be better than any retirement home could offer.

I met a lady on the NCL Pearl a couple of years ago that sold her home and lives on the ship. She was fit and able but didn't want the hassles of cooking for 1 and the upkeep of a house. She visits her kids a couple of times a year to see the grand kids, settle mail, etc. She says she the cost is cheaper than a retirement home and that the crew and ship doctors treat her really well. She also indicated that her pricing is always adjusted to the lowest offered in the category. I guess 250+ sea days a year has priviledges.

There was a gentleman named Egon who posted here under "Never too old" who did it for about a year. He sailed on a number of MSC ships for varying itineraries.

Unfortunately, he suffered a stroke and is back in Canada now.

I remember this gentleman's posting, which he did in great detail; He was leaving Canada on MSC, to spend winter in the Caribbean; staying for the transatlantic and Med. season, then returning home with the autumn crossing.

I'm so sorry that he's had a stroke- was this whilst he was on board?

I hope he's doing well now.

Dear Jocap,

I am saddened to say that Egon passed away on 30 April. He fought the good fight against a cancer that finally ravaged his body.

I lost my wife of 30 years also to cancer.

RIP (((Egon)))

I followed his trip. I was sad to hear about his passing. I admire his spirit and determination.

Dear Jocap,

I am saddened to say that Egon passed away on 30 April. He fought the good fight against a cancer that finally ravaged his body.

RIP (((Egon)))

I just spent 3 days reading his posts, which were absolutely amazing! I wish I would have known about them when they were being posted live, it would have been a privilege to be amongst those encouraging him on his journey.

Dear Jocap,

RIP (((Egon)))

I am so sad to hear this news. We were on the first leg of his journey fron New York to Quebec. He was a delightful genleman and a wonderful piano player.

Dear Jocap,

RIP (((Egon)))

Thank you for sharing; I'm saddened to hear about Egon, and sympathise with you over your loss.

I read some of Egon's post and I admire his courage to take such a step, although it sounds magical to retire in a cruise ship, is not, lets say, traditional, it is in fact out of the box. Egon is an inspiration to me and I am deciding to take one day at the time, not excluding this possibility, I will work first on becoming diamond. I have plenty of time since I am about 15 yrs from retiring

I think It would become too confining if I had to live in a small cabin. But if one were in good health seeing the world from a cruise ship would be the most civilized way to go.

The Oceania 180 day trip has "free" medical care and "free" paid gratuities.

And you'll need independent health insurance that covers you internationally because Medicare does not.

This is a common misunderstanding. While it is true that Medicare itself does not cover internationally, the Medicare supplement that we all carry, does. We also carry a supplemental $250,000 evacuation & $50,000 medical policy that costs less than $200 per year.

We spend 6 to 8 months a year on Holland America ships and have done so for about a half dozen years. The total cost averages out to a bit over $200 per day for each of us.

We plan to continue cruising as long as our health (which is excellent) holds out and it continues to be enjoyable.

Scott & Karen

If anyone is beyond the 'dreaming' stage on this subject, and is seriously giving it consideration....I would strongly suggest reading the bottom paragraph on the first linked page (snopes), and think hard about it.

Unless you had a companion doing the same, I think it would get 'old' sooner than you think....

This is a common misunderstanding. While it is true that Medicare itself does not cover internationally, the Medicare supplement that we all carry, does. We also carry a supplemental $250,000 evacuation & $50,000 medical policy that costs less than $200 per year.

We spend 6 to 8 months a year on Holland America ships and have done so for about a half dozen years. The total cost averages out to a bit over $200 per day for each of us.

We plan to continue cruising as long as our health (which is excellent) holds out and it continues to be enjoyable.

Scott & Karen

Attending a recent Blue Cross/Blue Shield Medicare seminar we were told that the supplemental coverage that BC/BS and other insurance companies offer has a $50,000 lifetime limit on out of country medical expenses. Getting the additional travel insurance when on Medicare is a wise decision.

Amazing how posters jumped from "retiring" to "nursing home" with no steps in between. There are people who retired in their 50's with many active years left and no thought of a nursing home -- they are the ones who might consider it.

We fall into that category since my husband retired 32 years ago.But the thought of living in a 10 by 10 cabin would be the deal breaker for me.

I think I could hire live in help and that would be cheaper than a cruise for a year deal.

Archived