First timers: Seabourn Quest or Oceania Riviera

louboutin10

Hi everyone

My husband and I are going on a one year anniversary cruise in the Mediterranean in September. It's our first cruise. We are young professionals (20s and 30s) if that makes any difference.

We are between "Venetian Vignettes" on Oceania's Riviera (12 days) or "Mediterranean Magic and Rome" on Seabourn's Quest (10 day).

The most important things to us are the food and itinerary. Neither one of us has been to Europe or on a cruise. Which choice do you think is the best, taking into account the amenities and the ports we will visit?

Oceania includes Barcelona, Mallorca, Marseille, Monte Carlo, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Sorrento, Taormina, Corfu, Dubrovnik and Venice.

Seabourn includes Barcelona, Palamos, St. Tropez, Ajaccio, Sardinia, Sorrento, Civitavecchia, Messina, Mykonos and Athens.

THANK YOU!! :)

Hi everyone

My husband and I are going on a one year anniversary cruise in the Mediterranean in September. It's our first cruise. We are young professionals (20s and 30s) if that makes any difference.

We are between "Venetian Vignettes" on Oceania's Riviera (12 days) or "Mediterranean Magic and Rome" on Seabourn's Quest (10 day).

The most important things to us are the food and itinerary. Neither one of us has been to Europe or on a cruise. Which choice do you think is the best, taking into account the amenities and the ports we will visit?

Oceania includes Barcelona, Mallorca, Marseille, Monte Carlo, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Sorrento, Taormina, Corfu, Dubrovnik and Venice.

Seabourn includes Barcelona, Palamos, St. Tropez, Ajaccio, Sardinia, Sorrento, Civitavecchia, Messina, Mykonos and Athens.

THANK YOU!! :)

They are both great itineraries - on very high end ships. If you aren't determined to make it one of these two, you should take a look at Holland America's Prinsendam - their premier ship, with comparable itinerary, HAL's high quality service, comfortable accomodations, and very good food --- for a much more reasonable cost.

My only comment about Prinsendam is that she's a very old ship---she's 25 years old, which in the sailing world is considered quite old. I sailed on her way back when she was the Royal Viking Sun. The the two ships the OP mention are quite new and have all the latest in terms of technology.

If it were me, I'd always go with the longer itinerary. I've sailed Seabourn, and it's a fantastic line, but it's always a great idea to go with the longer cruise.

In terms of the itinerary I would go with Oceania. Aside from it having a longer itinerary I like the overall itinerary better than that of Seabourn.

Out of these two I would go with Oceania.

I would not do HAL given what you have said.

Keith

Seabourn is fabulous. But at your age - I would go on Oceania. It is a much newer ship with more amenities. If you want to be pampered the staff on the Quest will do that. A word of warning - the more expensive the cruise the older the passengers.

Thank you everyone! This is a tough decision. I realize the crowd will be older but we don't really mind that as we expect to spend most of our time off the ship. I'm really going back and forth because at this point only the higher priced rooms are available on Oceania so we will actually pay MORE to go on the cruise that from what I've been reading should cost less? I realize it's 2 days longer with 1 extra port, but is it worth it to spend ~3k MORE on Oceania?

Thank you everyone! This is a tough decision. I realize the crowd will be older but we don't really mind that as we expect to spend most of our time off the ship. I'm really going back and forth because at this point only the higher priced rooms are available on Oceania so we will actually pay MORE to go on the cruise that from what I've been reading should cost less? I realize it's 2 days longer with 1 extra port, but is it worth it to spend ~3k MORE on Oceania?

Based on itinerary in your original post I too would choose Oceania.

But cabin selection and $$$ are additional questions.

Is it worth $x more? Depends on how dear $x is to you. Some folks less, others more

How important is the cabin to you?

LOTS of variables that you have not shared. Balconies? amenities?

Even with knowing the details of the two choices it gets hard to say which is more worth it to *you*. Some folks happily pay much more for a 'better' cabin location, others less important but the perks are important, etc.

Does the price include air? Does that price include arriving a day early (or do you care [and you should IMO]) etc. Have your priced drinks, gratuities, etc to include in that $3000 comparison.

They are other great cruise lines. many will decide based on a preferred itinerary. If you have not been to any (or most) of the ports for either cruise then the money may weigh more heavily.

Not easy - both will be great

Only you can decide if the extra $$ are worth it

Remember the price shown for Oceania include airfare & if you shop around you could get gratuities included from a TA

On the Sept 7th cruise only B cabin are still open by the looks of it ....unless you are looking at a different date ??

it is a personal decision

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

Since you seem more interested in the ports than time spent on the ship, and have some concern about cost, I'll repeat my suggestion that you consider HAL

Prinsendam's 16 day itinerary Barcelona to Athens.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am definitely open to other cruise lines but I have researched all of them, including HAL, and unfortunately the timing doesn't work out. We need to depart after the 5th and return before the 22nd of September (due to work restraints), so we are very limited for that reason.

I'm not so much concerned about money, I just want to make sure I get my money's worth. Even with Oceania's included airfare, after all the fees and gratuities and alcohol not being included, it does come out to be more than seabourn. That's ok, as long as it makes sense to pay more for that cruise. Someone compared the 2 lines saying Seabourn is like flying first class and Oceania is like flying coach. I guess I just want to make sure I'm not making the wrong decision by spending more on "coach" if this comparison is in fact correct.

I'm not so much concerned about money, I just want to make sure I get my money's worth. Even with Oceania's included airfare, after all the fees and gratuities and alcohol not being included, it does come out to be more than seabourn. That's ok, as long as it makes sense to pay more for that cruise. Someone compared the 2 lines saying Seabourn is like flying first class and Oceania is like flying coach. I guess I just want to make sure I'm not making the wrong decision by spending more on "coach" if this comparison is in fact correct.

If you shop around some TA's include the gratuities

I would not say Oceania is like flying economy ...maybe business class ;)

Have not sailed Seabourn but have flown 1st class & O is up at the front of the plane :D

Seabourn is fabulous. But at your age - I would go on Oceania. It is a much newer ship with more amenities. If you want to be pampered the staff on the Quest will do that. A word of warning - the more expensive the cruise the older the passengers.

Ummm....this is not always the case. Age of passengers can be heavily dependent on itinerary and time of year.

Our cruise in February on Seabourn around Australia and New Zealand was skewed more to the 60's, 70's and 80's age group ....but we still had a fabulous time.

The cruise we just got off on Legend in July in the Mediterranean ....very port intensive... we had quite a range of age but with the average age more in the 40's. We had many well behaved children, young adults in their twenties, mid thirties up to an effervescent couple in their seventies. Most nights in the club didn't finish until after midnight for quite a few of us.

I am not saying this happens all the time but it certainly can happen.

Julie

Just as an extra thought...Oceania has the classic Mediterranean itinerary and it ends in Venice. A city I love and have just returned from and can't wait to go back to.

So based on Itinerary even though I am a Seabourn lover I would prefer Oceania's itinerary for a first visit.

Julie

Archived