Germs and Slot Machines

evandbob

They die. All of them. Do you know what the death rate is for people who don't carry hand sanitizers? 100%. Every single one of them is going to die - and some of them within the next few years, too. Others may struggle on for fifty or sixty more years, but rest assured, they're gonna die.

Interestingly enough that is the same percentage for those who do carry around hand sanitizer.

Wow, feel better now? :p No one said anyone was trying to "sanitize the world". Someone posed a question out of concern. If you aren't concerned, then don't be, but there are some people who are concerned about it. Gee.

Agree completely. To each their own and no need to berate the OP and those of us who care more about germs than others. As I said above, if one doesn't care, then I challenge you to shake the hand of that guy that walks out of the toilet stall after wiping his butt and doesn't wash his hands. One can't honestly say that something like that wouldn't gross you out.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Have never seen THIS and would be sure to bypass anyone trying to "squirt" anything into my hands....

Same here. I've heard of it happening on NCL where it's "required" to be used going into a dining room.

More than VERY occasional use when I have no other option (hiking in the woods or some very third world restroom facilities with no soap or water,) tears my hands up. They get red, irritated, and the skin cracks open on the backs of my hands. I make it a point to go to the restroom and wash my hands before eating, but if anyone tries to make me use sanitizer I won't be a happy camper.

Same here. I've heard of it happening on NCL where it's "required" to be used going into a dining room.

More than VERY occasional use when I have no other option (hiking in the woods or some very third world restroom facilities with no soap or water,) tears my hands up. They get red, irritated, and the skin cracks open on the backs of my hands. I make it a point to go to the restroom and wash my hands before eating, but if anyone tries to make me use sanitizer I won't be a happy camper.

Seriously!? How do they think my use of a hand sanitizer prior to eating my food is going to protect someone? I am willing to sit in a chair they provide, use utensils they provide, eat off plates they provide, and eat the food someone else prepared in a kitchen I can't see all while sitting in a room filled with breathing people. Unless they are putting this dining room in a bubble and can guarantee it's sterility they can keep their squirters to themselves. I also find most sanitizers to be harsh on the skin.

On a side note they are great for removing ink stains from counter tops. :p

Seems like this germs/slot machine discussion has taken a turn and has become a debate about the effectiveness of hand sanitizers. Guess this is now one of the topics that people will have to agree to disagree on, much like dining room dress, walkie talkies, etc.

1. You think your hands are clean and you are immune to germs, so you don't feel the need to abide by the recommended procedure of cleaning your hands for the good of the whole when entering the buffet area.

2. You understand that in confined spaces where there is a lot of touching of things (serving tongs, handrails, etc.) that germs can be spread and you do your best to minimize the risk.

No need to have a heated argument here, it's to each their own. I wonder how many of the non-hand sanitizer crowd wash their hands after going to the bathroom? Anybody here willing to admit they don't wash their hands after doing their business?

Anybody here ever gotten sick with norovirus or can relate experiences of what the ship procedures were when outbreaks did occur?

Agree completely. To each their own and no need to berate the OP and those of us who care more about germs than others. As I said above, if one doesn't care, then I challenge you to shake the hand of that guy that walks out of the toilet stall after wiping his butt and doesn't wash his hands. One can't honestly say that something like that wouldn't gross you out.

Ooo, good one! Agree with you. :)

Have never seen THIS and would be sure to bypass anyone trying to "squirt" anything into my hands....

Don't sail NCL then. They have these girls standing at the entrance to the buffet who WILL squirt you. Some people have a name for them, which I consider a tad racist: The "Washy Washy Girls". The girls are always Asian, and the "washy washy" thing harkens back to the old movies and TV shows where you had the Asian at the dry cleaners/laundry counter saying "no ticky, no washie."

There have been posts on the NCL board where people comment that the "Washy Washy Girls" receive the biggest applause at the crew show... I wouldn't know, because I don't attend any shows...

They did that on HAL, too. I pull my hands back and say that I'm allergic, which I am. I wash my hands long and well and use my elbow on the railings and a knuckle on the elevator button. I don't want any of that junk sprayed on my hands.

They die. All of them. Do you know what the death rate is for people who don't carry hand sanitizers? 100%. Every single one of them is going to die - and some of them within the next few years, too. Others may struggle on for fifty or sixty more years, but rest assured, they're gonna die.

Sadly, many of them, anticipating their fate but unwilling to change their habits and start using hand sanitizer, live drab and wretched lives knowing that they could have done something to prevent their deaths, or at least delay them.

Why would you want to be one of these? Start using hand sanitizer today! Available at your corner pharmacy. Check your mailbox for coupons starting tomorrow!

Sadly, many of them, anticipating their fate but unwilling to change their habits and start using hand sanitizer, live drab and wretched lives knowing that they could have done something to prevent their deaths, or at least delay them.

Why would you want to be one of these? Start using hand sanitizer today! Available at your corner pharmacy. Check your mailbox for coupons starting tomorrow!

Actually, you may be right. I'm 48 now, so if I want to live another 60 years in perfect health, hand sanitizers are for me!

Archived