Things Being Discontinued

startwin

A continuation from the previous thread, which I can't find...

My daughter just got off the Zuiderdam, and there was no Dessert Extravaganza, so maybe that's it, or one of the things, being discontinued. Personally, I think it's a good thing as it seems such a waste of food. She also mentioned.... no table clothes in the Lido buffet at dinner time.

My daughter just got off the Zuiderdam, and there was no Dessert Extravaganza, so maybe that's it, or one of the things, being discontinued. Personally, I think it's a good thing as it seems such a waste of food. She also mentioned.... no table clothes in the Lido buffet at dinner time.

I know they have really scaled the dessert extravaganza down but it's a shame they have discontinued it totally. It was a lot of work though for the employees and isn't something I will miss but am glad I got to see the display.

Did she mention if the mats of the days of the week are still in the elevators?

Oh-and did you ever get the full story why such a delay on the departure from Vancouver?

What a beautiful day for her to come home to...hope she had a fabulous time.

I know they have really scaled the dessert extravaganza down but it's a shame they have discontinued it totally. It was a lot of work though for the employees and isn't something I will miss but am glad I got to see the display.

Did she mention if the mats of the days of the week are still in the elevators?

Oh-and did you ever get the full story why such a delay on the departure from Vancouver?

What a beautiful day for her to come home to...hope she had a fabulous time.

The delay was a mechanical/safety inspection.... seems to be done whenever there is accident onboard, but no idea if this was the case this time. Ship was zeroed down, new provisions loaded later. The had a fabulous time, and came home with a fabulous sun-tan! No days-of-the-week elevator mats, just plain ones.

My daughter just got off the Zuiderdam, and there was no Dessert Extravaganza, so maybe that's it, or one of the things, being discontinued.

I was on the Eurodam in the Mediterranean in April 2013, and we had the dessert extravaganza. It was tied to the fleet's 140'th birthday. There were also day of the week mats in the elevators.

Although the dessert tables were lovely to see, it is a lot of wasted food. I would miss seeing the dessert buffet - we had wonderful animals made out of dough and marzipan, but I would understand if it is taken away.

JMO but the Dessert Extravaganza was not good on the Westerdam last September. It was crowded and not very well organized. We tried 5 or 6 little desserts. I took one bite of each and did not find anything worth the extra calories, so did not finish them. I'm typically NOT really picky about desserts, but was very disappointed in HALs offerings. When I sail HAL again, I won't miss this.

Thank you for the information.

Until we were on the Westerdam, we haven't been to a dessert extravaganza in several years. They were too late at night for us -- we don't like eating anything late at night.

But on our Westerdam cruise in March/April -- it was held in the afternoon -- all 3 levels of the atrium. It was wonderful. There was some waste even though quite a few people were there.

Until we were on the Westerdam, we haven't been to a dessert extravaganza in several years. They were too late at night for us -- we don't like eating anything late at night.

But on our Westerdam cruise in March/April -- it was held in the afternoon -- all 3 levels of the atrium. It was wonderful. There was some waste even though quite a few people were there.

What a great idea having it in the afternoon. On the Amsterdam in June,it was held late at night so we didn't go but if it had been held inthe afternoon, it would have been a great treat.

On our first HAL cruise in '04, the Dessert Extravaganza was held in the afternoon in the MDR. It was well attended, and people were eating everything that wasn't nailed down! Since then it's been held in the late evening, and we aren't going to eat anything additional since we always eat late and have barely finished dinner when the Extravaganza opens.

I'd love to see it offered on a regular basis in the afternoon.

i hate saying this -- i really do. but there was a time, now long gone, when the 'chocolate extravaganza' was just that. oh, my, the displays, the luscious desserts, the ice carvings, and on and on. hasn't been this way for several years, although new or newer passengers still like, as they should, to come and take pictures; i did that too, once. now, it is called the 'dessert extravaganza' i think, and there's less chocolate, and lots more cake involved. and kind of tasteless, to agree with a previous post. but what i really HATE to say is that on my one, only, and definately last cruise on carnival, the chocolate 'extravaganza' was just that. but, they must have had a dessert chef on the conquest who really knew his or her stuff. it was a mid-day affair and it was superb, if one could tolerate the pushy crowds and find a place to sit and enjoy. now on hal i suppose you can find lots of places to sit, but, sadly, there doen't seem there is so much to enjoy. are my chocolate taste buds just fading with old age? lol

i hate saying this -- i really do. but there was a time, now long gone, when the 'chocolate extravaganza' was just that. oh, my, the displays, the luscious desserts, the ice carvings, and on and on. hasn't been this way for several years, although new or newer passengers still like, as they should, to come and take pictures; i did that too, once. now, it is called the 'dessert extravaganza' i think, and there's less chocolate, and lots more cake involved. and kind of tasteless, to agree with a previous post. but what i really HATE to say is that on my one, only, and definately last cruise on carnival, the chocolate 'extravaganza' was just that. but, they must have had a dessert chef on the conquest who really knew his or her stuff. it was a mid-day affair and it was superb, if one could tolerate the pushy crowds and find a place to sit and enjoy. now on hal i suppose you can find lots of places to sit, but, sadly, there doen't seem there is so much to enjoy. are my chocolate taste buds just fading with old age? lol

Chocolate has gotten expensive -- especially dark chocolate (which is all I eat at home and take my own supply onto the ships).

On the old Norway (sure do miss that ship) -- they also had the chocolate extravaganza in the afternoon.

Checked my notes from the Westerdam. It wasn't called the Dessert Extravaganza -- it was called "Tea Extravaganza as there wasn't any afternoon that day in the dining room.

You could get tea -- but many people were ordering cocktails and there was a special drink that day -- prosseco and raspberry kir -- we got those -- delicious.

5_Westerdam_Cruise_2013_050.JPG

Guess who ordered the chocolate coated glass? :D

hi, kk. i remember the old norway. one cruise. i had a sky suite --along with non-working elevators and brown water in the tub. ugh. but, i wanted to sail on this formerly classic liner. the chocolate 'whatever' was at night on this sailing i did, so i called room service, having a suite, to see if there were some yummy chocolates that could be sent to my room. i was told, in typical ncl manner, 'no.' the next day, some chocolate lefties were delivered to my suite. never sailed on ncl again, and won't. and ,ps, the water in the tub remained brown. no baths for me, only a quickie shower. i don't miss that old tub norway at all. the staff were, as they say 'rude, crude, and abusive.' that is my memory of ncl.

We sailed on her over the Christmas holiday.

Didn't encounter any rude crew members.

We were also in a Suite -- think it was a Sky one -- so long ago I don't remember. No problems with elevators or plumbing.

The trees in the covered promenade were so beautiful -- they lined both sides of the ship -- each decorated differently.

We sailed a few more times with NCL -- but once they started the "Freestyle" cruising concept -- we were gone.

yes, kk. i agree. i think there was a 'transition' going on at the time. i, too, gave up on ncl after the 'freestyle era.' just seeing that painted on the hulls of their ships did me in. lol like cruising on a 'macdonalds.' and ncl followed up on that just fine. lol thanks for replying to me.

We sailed on her over the Christmas holiday.

Didn't encounter any rude crew members.

We were also in a Suite -- think it was a Sky one -- so long ago I don't remember. No problems with elevators or plumbing.

The trees in the covered promenade were so beautiful -- they lined both sides of the ship -- each decorated differently.

We sailed a few more times with NCL -- but once they started the "Freestyle" cruising concept -- we were gone.

Thanks KK - you`re bringing back great memories. We used to sail NCL a lot. Loved the Norway - and no brown water in our tub - we only had a verandah so maybe that`s why dr dawg:rolleyes: LOL:D

Like you, once free style cruising came we were gone. Found the food went downhill as well as the service. But NCL was glorious in her day.

btw - I don`t find that HAL has gone down like NCL did - but that`s just our experience:D

Thanks, Startwin, for doing this continuation of my original thread.

We had the Dessert Extravaganza on both our May-June Zaandam Alaska Collector's. Unfortunately we did not attend either, but I do know that the Salmon Bake was a poor imintation of the usual Alaska BBQ/Bake/Whatever that we are used to each year on the Alaska cruises.

Thanks again!

Checked my notes from the Westerdam. It wasn't called the Dessert Extravaganza -- it was called "Tea Extravaganza as there wasn't any afternoon that day in the dining room.

You could get tea -- but many people were ordering cocktails and there was a special drink that day -- prosseco and raspberry kir -- we got those -- delicious.

Thanks, KK, for this photo and the following ones! Yum!!!!!!!!!!! Can you order the chocolate coated drinks anytime????

We have had the afternoon tea turned into something like this a few times and we loved it. The right timing for us, becasue after dinner we have very little interest in eating any more, even it were all as good as it looked.

well,heck, kk. i didn't know that booking a balcony suite guaranteed not having brown water in the shower/sink/or tub. i thought that would be the case in any stateroom? wonder if it is still a rubric on ncl. wow. for clean water you have to book a suite or one of those ultra lux suites. otherwise, dirty water. does anyone know the answer? is this true on hal? does the lower the deck mean the more contaminated the water? there are lots of things we don't know. alas.

YUM.....!!!

Did the chocolate "pop" off.......I couldn't leave that alone.....:)

Archived