Another Reason to get a Early Flight to your cruise

geocruiser

I traveled by air every week for 20 years in my job and never had this happen. I have had many reasons why flights were delayed or cancelled but this is a new one!

One thing I did learn was to travel ahead of time when possible and fly early in the morning so you had the rest of the day to work on cancelled flights and missed connections. I agree with another post and that is go early, rest and board the ship in a leisurely manner. I see so many pax boarding after having rushed from the airport or having had to fret over whether their connection or original flight was going to make it.

We learned our lesson on our first cruise. We did a short Carnival cruise out of Port Canaveral and booked our air with Carnival. They had us flying to Orlando from Chicago on the day of the cruise. Our flight was delayed and we were on the last Carnival shuttle from Orlando to Port Canaveral along with a handful of others. We got to the port a half hour before departure. By the time we got on board everyone else was in their swim trunks eating, drinking and having a good time while we were hot and tired :eek: Carnival had to make sure we made the ship, but we missed the first few hours of fun at the start of our first cruise. We now fly out at least a day before unless we depart from San Pedro and then we make the two hour drive to San Pedro the morning of our cruise :)

This is yet another good reason to fly in a day or more before your cruise.

Keith

Excellent advise. No worry about missing the ship and much more relaxed for the cruise. Airlines are a real hassle nowadays.

Here is but another reason to fly in early. This time turtles at JFK! This happened earlier this year. I know it also happen before.

JFK barriers to block runway turtles

By DANIEL PRENDERGAST

Last Updated: 7:58 AM, June 15, 2013

Posted: 1:08 AM, June 15, 2013

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/shell_of_save_6RTJtcfQFbl27yHTgUMrQM

One time I was on an excursion in the Caribbean (I forget which island) and bees swarmed the tour bus. It happened as we were getting close to the pier, so we made it back to the ship. They seemed to interested in the A/C unit on the top of the bus. We all got out and moved away as quickly as possible. After we were off the bus they got a hose and just kept spraying the bus with water until the bees were either dead or gone.

I blame Oprah...

And yes, don't try to fly in the day of the cruise. About the only time I'd even consider it is if I'm boarding a ship in Los Angeles, since the morning SEA-LAX flights are usually pretty reliable (and even then, if I was doing something like a Hawaii cruise I'd still fly in at least the evening before.)

We were so stupid for our first cruise, we flew in the day of the cruise, and we were sailing out of San Juan! We didn't know any better, LOL.:o

We were the last people to board the ship.....after the muster drill. We were supposed to go to the make-up muster drill the next day...but we got lost trying to find it. We looked silly walking around with our life vests. :o

We didn't have bees on our plane, we had a swarm on our balcony!

We were on the Coral a year ago and had just left the last lock of the canal and were starting to speed up to get to Cartagena. We saw some insects flying around and then a few landed on the rail of our balcony. Soon, we had an unscheduled party going on and our steward and his boss trying to figure out how to rid us of the unwanted guests. As I am allergic, I took off to a bar and told them not to leave any live ones in my room.

They did a great job of getting rid of the stow-aways but in doing so, our poor steward got stung - his first time. I told him to go see the doctor. And in the morning he told us he did and was given some things to take to relieve him of the problem he was having.

What fun this cruise was!!!

Archived