Best Way to Book a Cruise??

jweiner

So we've been on a couple Royal Caribbean cruises out of Florida over the past few years. I really like RC, but am planning on taking a cruise next April over Spring Break and want to consider my other options. Is there a good way to explore options given that I know the dates I want to cruise or do I just have to go to individual cruise line web sites and see what they offer? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Generally you're going to find that the prices are pretty much the same across the board. Just make sure that the price quoted is complete with taxes and port fees.

I have no problem using the cruise line web site or one of the major travel agencies.

I do want to make sure that the agency I deal with is available 24/7. Not so much that I want to chat at 4AM. But if there is a problem at check in on a Sunday I don't want to get a recording:eek:

Happy shopping,

Charlie

FYI, it's against the terms of service to mention the names of travel agents or agencies here on Cruise Critic.

OP, your best bet is to find a good local travel agency and tell them what you're looking for.

Generally you're going to find that the prices are pretty much the same across the board. Just make sure that the price quoted is complete with taxes and port fees.

I have no problem using the cruise line web site or one of the major travel agencies.

I do want to make sure that the agency I deal with is available 24/7. Not so much that I want to chat at 4AM. But if there is a problem at check in on a Sunday I don't want to get a recording:eek:

Happy shopping,

Charlie

Wow Charlie. Not true! This is a myth perpetuated by the cruise lines. Some lines such as RCI have imposed very strict price controls, but deals are still out there for those who shop around. We, ourselves, saved over $3000 on a single cruise by shopping around. Even with shorter (10 days or less) RCI cruises you can find deals although it might not be a discounted price. For example, you might find a particular TA offers pre-paid gratuities, free meals at alternative restaurants, on board credits (called OBCs on these boards) etc. A few years ago we booked a longer Celebrity cruise and were able to find a TA who gave us $1200 in on board credits (not available if booking through the cruise line of most other TAs).

As to check-in problems, after spending more then 3 years on over 85 cruises (12 cruise lines) on 6 continents, we have never had a problem at check-in. Nearly all check-in problems are the cruisers own fault! Folks need to take personal responsibility and make sure they have all their necessary documents when they go on a cruise. Cruise lines now make things easier by allowing passengers to complete most pre-cruise formalities right on the cruise line's own web site...and then print out an express embarkation document. When you show-up at the port and have your cruise boarding document (usually an online print-out) and a Passport (or other sufficient documents) you will get on the ship. The one major exception is if you happen to be ill....but that is why many folks take out trip insurance.

Hank

Hank - Sorry to say that if I had reduced any of my 30+ cruises (7 or more nights each) by $3000 someone would have been paying me to take them. My cruise bill including air and pre/post hotels has never come close to that figure.

I can certainly see how a TA could afford perks if someone is dropping four, five, six or more grand.

I do get OBC's from various cruise lines. But when they are offered they are available both through the line and any number of agencies.

As far as 24/7 service from an agency, I've never had to avail myself of the service. But I don't want to have a need and not be able to contact the agency.

Just my personal experience. YMMV

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hank,

I have found after booking many crusies with the cruiselines that local TAs and on-line vendors have provided us with better discounts!

We were able to take advantage of price drops with being upgraded to better rooms and by getting on-board credits.

Check with your local cruisers in the area and go from there. So many offerings with good incentatives----don't miss out.

Archived