HAL changes wine policy

Just thought I would let the Aussie and Kiwi cruisers know that Holland America have significantly changed their wine policy.

Previously they allowed unlimited wine brought on board, not only at embarkation but at the Ports as well. There was an $18 corkage if you drank it outside your stateroom. Well they have done a complete 180 and now you can only bring 1 bottle per person on board at embarkation and any purchased in a port will be confiscated and not returned to you until debarkation.

I am finding this really annoying as we have made our final payment and one of the reasons to book HAL around New Zealand was to buy quality New Zealand wines to drink back on board. Also it is no use stockpiling it to take home as we debark in Auckland and have to fly back to Australia, which restricts how many we can bring home.

They have a drinks package but it is $39.95 USD per passenger + 15% Service Charge and each adult passenger in a stateroom must buy it. Well that is nearly $1300 for a two week cruise - my DH and I couldn't drink that much no matter how hard we tried, also that is restricted to drinks $7 and under.

Having a policy and enforcing it are two different things. I have cruised with both Celebrity and Princess who each have their own restrictive policy. But there seems to be inconsistencies in enforcing it.

Its their right to make a policy and if you dont like it dont go with them. You cant go to any land based hotel and restaurant and go into their guest areas other than the room and expect to BYO. I suspect the change reflects a trend with too many cheapskates doing just that who have just found cruising. If I go out for a few drinks after work I buy them. Of course the price is going to be mutch more expensive at a bar than your own home. All cruise lines will only change their policy in response to a new trend or benefit that is starting to be abused.

Its their right to make a policy and if you dont like it dont go with them. You cant go to any land based hotel and restaurant and go into their guest areas other than the room and expect to BYO. I suspect the change reflects a trend with too many cheapskates doing just that who have just found cruising. If I go out for a few drinks after work I buy them. Of course the price is going to be mutch more expensive at a bar than your own home. All cruise lines will only change their policy in response to a new trend or benefit that is starting to be abused.

Hey Sutho - where have you been? Not sure if your AKA will last overnight (US daytime) - you never know though :D

KarateMan, they have every right to change their policy but suddenly, with no warning and to include cruises that are past final payment. It would have been better to implement a new policy of this magnitude with warning.

Also the reason for taking wines on the HAL ships in the past is that their wine list is dreadful, not as good as Celebrity's for instance. Also very expensive, one of the few decent wines on offer, a Villa Maria Sav Blanc which we pay $14.99 here, they want $62 for. That is an outrageous mark up.

Finally, we are not cheapskates as you would imply, we just liked to bring on board a selection of wines that we enjoy. We pay their $18 corkage, we drink cocktails and beer, in fact on our last cruise we had a $600 bar bill.

With the notification of changes I personally do not see wine policy as a reason to book a cruise. The people who book would be interested in itinerary, ship, activities, time of year.

You just have to be happy with what is on offer and make the most of it.

Its just best to respect their rules and go with the flow and you cant go wrong. A policy change is never done without just cause. Cruise lines want our business and they are not setting out to make our lives miserable. As with all wine policy changes it is usually due to abuse of the privileges.

As I have said before on here, the reason why the cruiselines are putting on these restrictions for BYO wine is so you have to buy their overpriced vino. That is why I take as much wine on board as I can as a protest against their outreagous wine prices.

I recollect on Princess a couple of years ago it was $39 for a bottle of Yellow Tail Wine, I can buy it here for $8 in my local bottleshop, even at my Golf Club it is only $14. We are getting ripped off by the cruiselines re wine.

Wastegirl - Elise is quite correct.

As I have said before on here, the reason why the cruiselines are putting on these restrictions for BYO wine is so you have to buy their overpriced vino. That is why I take as much wine on board as I can as a protest against their outreagous wine prices.

I recollect on Princess a couple of years ago it was $39 for a bottle of Yellow Tail Wine, I can buy it here for $8 in my local bottleshop, even at my Golf Club it is only $14. We are getting ripped off by the cruiselines re wine.

Wastegirl - Elise is quite correct.

That appears to be quite true. They are overpriced in many cases. I dont want to speculate on all their financials but with the demand for cheap cruises they have to make their money somewhere.

The BYO policy is clearly causing the cruise lines dramas. Perhaps everyone should cut back on what they take on board and try and give the lines a chance. Who knows they may drop their price if people start buying off them.

I think what we are seeing here is the old rule "To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

With the notification of changes I personally do not see wine policy as a reason to book a cruise. The people who book would be interested in itinerary, ship, activities, time of year.

You just have to be happy with what is on offer and make the most of it.

Its just best to respect their rules and go with the flow and you cant go wrong. A policy change is never done without just cause. Cruise lines want our business and they are not setting out to make our lives miserable. As with all wine policy changes it is usually due to abuse of the privileges.

KarateMan, All I can say is you are not a wine drinker, for a serious wine buff like my DH, sailing around New Zealand, wine is the itinerary. New Zealanders are quite rightly proud of their wine and it is a feature of any tour of their country. And before you say, New Zealand is a beautiful country and is more than its wine, we have done a 5 week land holiday so we are already well aware of this and have seen far more than will ever be available by cruise ship. We are cruising because we want a laid back, no hassle break from our busy lives, if I wanted to really see a place, I would do a land tour.

However I do get your point about cheaper cruises and the need to recoup costs. The policy change itself I am not complaining about, I accept it for our South Pacific trip in 2014. I understand that cruise lines can change things suddenly but they are really alienating loyal customers by doing it so arbitrarily.

KarateMan, All I can say is you are not a wine drinker, for a serious wine buff like my DH, sailing around New Zealand, wine is the itinerary. New Zealanders are quite rightly proud of their wine and it is a feature of any tour of their country. And before you say, New Zealand is a beautiful country and is more than its wine, we have done a 5 week land holiday so we are already well aware of this and have seen far more than will ever be available by cruise ship. We are cruising because we want a laid back, no hassle break from our busy lives, if I wanted to really see a place, I would do a land tour.

However I do get your point about cheaper cruises and the need to recoup costs. The policy change itself I am not complaining about, I accept it for our South Pacific trip in 2014. I understand that cruise lines can change things suddenly but they are really alienating loyal customers by doing it so arbitrarily.

So clearly you enjoy your wine. Unlike me I can pick up any wine or beer on offer and be happy with it.

Its sad that it is just the nature of the business. I have taken the odd bottle of wine on myself. Usually a freebie from a hotel that I stayed at the night before.

I think differently and when I see a change in policy there is usually a cause. When I think about it and rationalise over it the only reason I can think of for such drastic changes are too many people bringing mass amounts of wine onboard which is hitting their profits, they are changing their policy probably because too many people abused the policy.

You never know with a bit of luck they just might exercise their discretion and allow reasonable amounts on.

It seems to me that you are all missing the point here. I find it difficult to accept that a cruise line would make such a dramatic change in their policy virtually overnight. No prior warning. No advice to cusromers (guests ??) who are boarding today, tomorrow or in the next few days.

Customers who booked their cruise expecting to be able to take wine on board for consumption in their cabins - or in the public area with a corkage fee.

A couple of years ago, we did a Med cruise with HAL and one of the pleasant experiences was to be able to bring some delightful wines on board from Italy, Croatia, Greece, etc and be able to enjoy it in our cabin or on our balcony.

My problem is with the arbitrary way in which the new policy was introduced. Surely HAL should have felt that they have an obligation to keep faith with customers who have paid for their cruise believing that these entitlements would still exist.

I feel that the shame on HAL is not that they have changed their policy. It is the unreasonably swift way that they announced it and supposedly enforced it.

It seems to me that you are all missing the point here.

The OP is missing the point?!

In regards to the policy, I see why it is annoying in this particular case.

As it is, it appears a general move to bring all the mass-market lines closer together in policy. I think that's actually a good thing as it will mean less confusion for cruisers taking a different line and then finding the policy is substantially different from another cruise line. While experts have done the research, some people aren't so memorable about all the details, especially if they don't take so many cruises.

I am picturing too many passengers turning up with a trolley containing boxes and boxes of wine. Maybe a slight exaggeration but you get the picture. The greedy ones or the extreme cheapskates have ruined it for the more genuine. I cant imagine such drastic changes without something to prompt them to do it.

It's not drastic - it just brings them into line with the competition.

As for why, like many businesses no need to overthink. It could be as simple as it helps their business operations, and helps to make money.

I am picturing too many passengers turning up with a trolley containing boxes and boxes of wine. Maybe a slight exaggeration but you get the picture. The greedy ones or the extreme cheapskates have ruined it for the more genuine. I cant imagine such drastic changes without something to prompt them to do it.

Boxes of wine on trolleys, as the American Princess cruisers have done in the past. Seen them at places like Fort Lauderdale.

You talk absolute rubbish! Nobody turns up with a trolley of wine!

It is disappointing that HAL have changed the wine policy.

When we cruised with HAL at Xmas time they had wiped out the wine card.

These cruiselines buy the wine so cheap, and sell it duty free, but are selling it at such a marked up price - GREED!

RCL have never allowed any wine onboard so it always surprises me that other cruise lines allow any. I think it reasonable to allow 2 bottles onboard at embarkation. But sadly some people will abuse any allowance and hence the need to tighten up. A little like planes and carry on. I wish they'd tighten up.

I can understand the frustration with making the policy immediate but on the other hand, cruises can be planned and booked 18 months out. Where do they draw the line?

These cruiselines buy the wine so cheap, and sell it duty free, but are selling it at such a marked up price - GREED!

Its not rubbish, I did say slight exaggeration to qualify my descriptive terminology, however the essence is true that passengers can and do turn up with too much alcohol. Yes shopping trollys have been spotted and it would not surprise me if passengers brought an entire suitcase containing alcohol with them.

I agree its all greedy what cruise lines have been doing. You get no arguments from me there. Their prices are steep considering it should be at duty free prices.

It is a two way street remember. Cruise lines will only respond to passenger trends and the trend must be extreme for them to take such drastic action.

Its not rubbish, I did say slight exaggeration to qualify my descriptive terminology, however the essence is true that passengers can and do turn up with too much alcohol. Yes shopping trollys have been spotted and it would not surprise me if passengers brought an entire suitcase containing alcohol with them.

I agree its all greedy what cruise lines have been doing. You get no arguments from me there. Their prices are steep considering it should be at duty free prices.

It is a two way street remember. Cruise lines will only respond to passenger trends and the trend must be extreme for them to take such drastic action.

I don't think people could take a suitcase filled with alcohol. It would weigh too much and probably break the case. No baggage handlers will touch a bag that weighs more than 32kg (Work Place Health and Safety rules).

On one of our cruises that called in to Townsville I saw someone in the tender with a carton of 12 bottles of wine. I don't know if he bought a similar amount in our other ports of call. :D

An update, HAL has seen sense and done a backflip. After a big facebook and email campaign from the CC'ers on the HAL Board, Holland America have changed their policy to state that it will be implemented on 31st January 2014.

This makes a lot more sense, while I liked the previous policy I can understand how it cannot be continued, it was just too liberal. But now they have given a decent amount of notice instead of slapping it in place overnight.

Of course they are now saying 'whoops sorry, it was always meant to be in January' but signage had been put up on the ships on Friday that the new policy had been implemented and other peoples boarding documents had advised this as well.

Of course my March trip next year is under the new policy but I now have a choice whether we do it or cancel whereas there was no choice with our New Zealand trip (unless we lost a considerable amount of our cruise fare) and that was what annoyed me the most.

BTW I won't be cancelling my March trip, the South Pacific is more beer and cocktails weather so the wine policy is not a concern, a couple of bottles for our fine dining experiences will be plenty.

RCL have never allowed any wine onboard so it always surprises me that other cruise lines allow any.

RCL changed their policy at the end of last year to allow it being brought onboard at initial boarding, hence the previous statement that they're making them more similar across the lines.

I beg your pardon, I have been into San Pedro - LA Harbour and Fort Lauderdale on 5 occasions to embark Princess ships. I have observed cruisers pushing a trolley load of boxes of wine, and giving it to the Porters to put on board, with the required tip of course. I have no doubt some are still doing it. I doubt you have been into the above Ports to witness the stuff the Americans put on board. The Brits are not adverse either to putting a couple of cartons of wine on the P&O ships, seen that too in Sydney and Southampton.

I have no experience with Holland America, not travelled on them.

Archived