Thinking About Trying a Transatlantic

jaspersmommy

Port side when heading west is the sunny side. That is what I have on my first TA this fall. I wish our prices would drop but they've only gone up:(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Baseball Fan gave the correct answer :) You want to be on the "Africa" side to get the sun during the day.

Thank you to both of you. I change to the port side and I am also slightly more midship. I have been slightly confused because of the southern route and decided to give up the sunsets for the warmth during the day.

We have done two transatlantics (both eastbound) in April, and I did a lot of planning beforehand about the sun, especially sunrise for photos. I expected the sun to rise on the starboard side of the ship. I calculated we would be on a heading of about 060 to 070 degrees and the sun would be more on the starboard side than the port side. I was somewhat surprised that the sun rose very much in the front of the ship and set at the aft of the ship both times. I'm just mentioning this because the whole argument about which side of the ship the sun is on was kind of pointless on both of our trips, it was only SLIGHTLY more sunny on the starboard side.

I too was a bit skeptical when I first started reading about TA's--I thought all the sea days would be boring. After doing two, I have to say that I love them!! We have done eastbound both times; once we disembarked in Le Havre and spent three weeks post-cruise in France (one week in Normandy and Brittany) and a week in London; and this year we disembarked in Rome and ended up flying home from Paris a few weeks later. Fantastic trips both times and we have made great friends, several of whom have posted on this thread!

Using Choice Air we have gotten return airfare for under $600 both times, flying Heathrow or CDG back to San Francisco. So we consider the TA our outbound travel expense--this spring we had 15 days on Silhouette for $699 in a balcony cabin--just can't beat that!

thanks to the OP for posting this and thanks to everyone for the advice

My husband would love to do one but I'm worried about all the seas days. We had 3 to bermuda and 2 comiing back and that almost drove me crazy - I like port days and exploring. The prices are so good though. Maybe I should give it a whirl and try for myself.

so starboard cabin east and port cabin west - thanks

Jan, we did 2 TA since we meet you on the Equinox Greek Island cruise, and have another one coming up in November , they great time because of the people.

Elite HH was coupons , everyone had a great time each evening by the SunSet bar

Port going west ( to FLL)

Going to Europe it really did not make much different as the sun was mostly over head, starboard morning sun, port afternoon evening sun

Aft would be the best

I am sticking with port now

Mark

I too was a bit skeptical when I first started reading about TA's--I thought all the sea days would be boring. After doing two, I have to say that I love them!! We have done eastbound both times; once we disembarked in Le Havre and spent three weeks post-cruise in France (one week in Normandy and Brittany) and a week in London; and this year we disembarked in Rome and ended up flying home from Paris a few weeks later. Fantastic trips both times and we have made great friends, several of whom have posted on this thread!

Using Choice Air we have gotten return airfare for under $600 both times, flying Heathrow or CDG back to San Francisco. So we consider the TA our outbound travel expense--this spring we had 15 days on Silhouette for $699 in a balcony cabin--just can't beat that!

Do you remember the flash mob on the cruise ?

My first TA cruise was in the fall of 2009. I've done one each year since then, have one this coming October and have TWO for 2014!! I fell in love with the sea days, having more opportunties to meet people and make live long friendships, and can choose whether to be busy every sea day or just relax. My April 2014 cruise will be my first eastbound, so it will be interesting to see how I like it with the sea days at the start of the cruise.

Try it at least once!!

Monica

My first TA cruise was in the fall of 2009. I've done one each year since then, have one this coming October and have TWO for 2014!! I fell in love with the sea days, having more opportunties to meet people and make live long friendships, and can choose whether to be busy every sea day or just relax. My April 2014 cruise will be my first eastbound, so it will be interesting to see how I like it with the sea days at the start of the cruise.

Try it at least once!!

Monica

Not only that, but 23 hour days.... Hope you like them! ;)

Try it at least once!!

Monica

I know there a number of people who were on the Spring 2013 Silhouette TA, that are watch the price for the Spring 2014 Silhouette

I will be watch the price after final payment day to see if the price gets down to $650-700 for a balcony

I know there a number of people who were on the Spring 2013 Silhouette TA, that are watch the price for the Spring 2014 Silhouette

I will be watch the price after final payment day to see if the price gets down to $650-700 for a balcony

Mark, have you figured out when that is? Beginning of Feb maybe? I remember this year Julian called us mid-January to say he'd booked his balcony for $699, that's what got us in. If we all keep a lookout we can let each other know if there are any drastic changes. Since I finally got a job it may be doable for us;)

... so why not book one for THIS fall? :confused: The prices just dropped.

$649pp-$739pp for insides on Constellation, Silhouette, and Reflection. :eek:

You can be as relaxed, (bored) or as busy as you want!

That's what makes TAs so THOROUGHLY enjoyable! :cool:

You are right! :D

Just booked the Reflection today sailng this November 1. :cool: :cool:

We haven't been able to seriously consider these yet, due to the time needed to take one, but my concern is less keeping myself occupied and more worried about being in rough seas for 4-5 days in a row. Has this ever happened to anyone? (I know each cruise is different, but asking for experiences). I don't need flat seas, but I am subject to mal de mer and the idea of being trapped on a ship for that many days in bad seas scares the heck out of me. Four or five days reading and lounging and relaxing sounds great - if I am not green. Comments??

We haven't been able to seriously consider these yet, due to the time needed to take one, but my concern is less keeping myself occupied and more worried about being in rough seas for 4-5 days in a row. Has this ever happened to anyone? (I know each cruise is different, but asking for experiences). I don't need flat seas, but I am subject to mal de mer and the idea of being trapped on a ship for that many days in bad seas scares the heck out of me. Four or five days reading and lounging and relaxing sounds great - if I am not green. Comments??

We did one TA in 2011 and just loved it! It's the best cruise ever for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts! And I agree - each cruise is different, but all 7 days during our crossing the ocean was like a mirror!!!

ry%3D480

I remember only a few days in all my crossings that were what I would call rough. There was never a time that the rough seas lasted more than a few days. Also, the captains have some latitude and can usually move toward calmer seas. That said, our Spring crossings on the Northern route have tended to have the most motion. Several of our Fall crossings have had "mill pond" smooth crossings on the Southern route.

There's also the likelihood that getting your sea legs after a few days at sea helps. But I would never travel without remedies if I were susceptible to sea sickness. Patches or tablets, along with ginger and/or acupressure bands have allowed many of my friends to cross without worries.

Me, I was almost born in a small sloop- Mom was sailing into her 9th month! It doesn't usually affect me, but I do rely on fresh air and the ability to stare at the horizon to keep me feeling good...and, oddly, Bourbon seems to help!:D

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Those are great fares for one way. But I assume these are non-pusblished fares that you are getting via the cruise line's air program?

They're through Choice Air, which you can check any time, but can only book once you have a cruise reserved.

We got excellent deals using Choice Air, but you have to play around with the flights a bit. It was cheaper for us to book San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale on our on using Virgin than to combine it with our return from Paris. I just plugged in all the possibilities to see what was best.

Interestingly, we started checking fares in January when we first considered the cruise; we didn't buy our return tickets until a few days before we left in April (because we couldn't decide from where or when to fly home) and the price never varied more than $10 in that time. It was MUCH cheaper than any other place we checked, less than half.

My transatlantic, (this spring, Eclipse to Southampton) I loaded up on i-tunes movies and tv shows and planned on doing lots of PC file organization. I never even took my laptop out, had too much other stuff going on every day on the ship.

Cruise director did a great job of feeling the passengers out and adjusting entertainment and activities accordingly.

I call it my best vacation ever.

Do it you will love it. :D

Completed our first transatlantic this spring and we're hooked. One of the best parts of the cruise was the 7 straight days at sea. Very relaxing and never a rush to do anything.

Just sit back and enjoy. All the activities onboard left little room for boredom. Try it just once.

Reading this thread has caused me to add taking a TA to my "when I retire" list! As an elementary school principal, I can't take the time now since they don't occur during my school vacations or the summer, but will be able to in just 7 years! (Yikes, that seems like a really long time!!!!!)

Thanks for the info!

Well, I am certainly feeling a lot better about going on a transatlantic now after all these positive comments. Unfortunately we already have a vacation booked for spring 2014 and a westbount transatlantic in the fall is out of the question for me in any year as that is my busiest time at work. So spring 2015 will be my earliest opportunity. Does anyone know when those itineraries will be released? Will they come out in March 2014 (when Alaska and some others are released)?

Thank you!

Archived