New Alcohol Policy as of last night 7/30

Windsailer

I'm with you, I have never noticed passengers walking around with wine either.

I do hope HAL changes its policy relative to bringing wine on board in ports since many other cruise lines do allow it.

In 4 cruises, I've seen abuse once. And, perhaps that person bought a HAL package for their cabin, and brought it into the dining room.

I'm laughing because they say you can pay a corkage fee and drink it in the dining rom. Then they say if you brought it onboard, you can't have it in public at all.

Are they going to give every person who takes their own bottle a private dining room?

They really need to create a policy, check for errors in structure, grammar, and for stupidity, then release it.

These poor staff members, suddenly becoming the mom or dad of a teenager who is trying to sneak out of the house with a bottle of vodka. I live that on a daily basis. Ha to think of someone suddenly becoming me as I carry my champagne from a bar to the dining room.

We better keep receipts in our pockets so we don't get sent back to our room and miss dinner.

These poor staff members, suddenly becoming the mom or dad of a teenager who is trying to sneak out of the house with a bottle of vodka. I live that on a daily basis. Ha to think of someone suddenly becoming me as I carry my champagne from a bar to the dining room.

We better keep receipts in our pockets so we don't get sent back to our room and miss dinner.

Just keep them in a lanyard around your neck:p

Walking out of the dining room with wine??? How is that possible. I am in awe. It never happens to us. Those glasses seem to evaporate, icon11.gif

The glasses do drain pretty fast:D. Mostly, if we walk out with some, it's because they finally delivered the glass we ordered when we first sat down around the time we are finishing dessert.;)

ML

Obviously you get quicker service than some of us have had. One for the road . . .

I believe Olson99 said that in jest, much like people ask about having wine left over from dinner be kept for the next night. We too are unfamiliar with unfinished bottles. ;)

Why the ban on boxed wine? I know most of it tastes pretty bad, but every now and then I find something I like. Looks like unless it's a trash/disposal issue that it would be a less problem than a glass bottle.

I would guess because most box wine contains more than a bottle of wine: 1L or 3L vs 750 ml

In 4 cruises, I've seen abuse once. And, perhaps that person bought a HAL package for their cabin, and brought it into the dining room.

Are you sure that is against the rules? It is, after all, HAL wine, on which a service charge has been imposed.

Makes me think of this...

Ironically, there was a roll call member we were cruising with on the Prinsendam. She carried a glass of wine into the MDR every night. I overheard someone say that she was bringing wine from her cabin:rolleyes:

I quickly spoke up and said not true - she was in the Crow's Nest with us and had ordered at happy hour so she was bringing her 'left overs'. Perfectly legit.

See how assumptions can be made? and yes, if you just want a glass of wine since your waiter has to get it, I agree - it can be difficult.

This was a common practice on the Prinsendam (we have been on that ship for more then 140 days in the past 3 years). On most evenings that had a happy hour in the Crows Nest from 5-7 where you could get a 2nd drink (bar brands and house wines) for $1. Some folks would simply get 2 glasses of wine, drink one glass in the bar and take the 2nd down to dinner. As to drinking your own wine in public venues, the cruise staff really has no way to know whether that glass of wine your are carrying is coming from your own cabin stash...or if you purchased it in a different bar. Unless you are making an obvious "scene" nobody will bother you if you have your own wine (in a glass) in public venues.

Hank

This was a common practice on the Prinsendam (we have been on that ship for more then 140 days in the past 3 years). On most evenings that had a happy hour in the Crows Nest from 5-7 where you could get a 2nd drink (bar brands and house wines) for $1. Some folks would simply get 2 glasses of wine, drink one glass in the bar and take the 2nd down to dinner. As to drinking your own wine in public venues, the cruise staff really has no way to know whether that glass of wine your are carrying is coming from your own cabin stash...or if you purchased it in a different bar. Unless you are making an obvious "scene" nobody will bother you if you have your own wine (in a glass) in public venues.

Hank

The wine glasses for in-room use are a slightly different shape than the wine glasses used in the bars and MDR. Once we had purchased glasses of wine at a bar after dinner. DH finished his, but I brought mine back to our room where I did finish it. The next morning when our steward cleaned our room, the in-room glasses had been washed, but the bar glass disappeared.

We did the same thing the next evening, except DH brought his bar wine glass back to the room as well. The next morning the bar glasses were gone, and the in-room glasses were cleaned. If nothing else, the room stewards know the difference. Whether any staff would actually enforce the rule against bringing wine from your room into a public area is a whole other issue.

Perhaps HAL should put a bright orange stripe on the stem of the in-room wine glasses. Problem solved, that is until pax would get the unmarked bar glasses and hide them in the closet after they used them, kind of like using a room service tray in the Lido. :p

The wine glasses for in-room use are a slightly different shape than the wine glasses used in the bars and MDR. Once we had purchased glasses of wine at a bar after dinner. DH finished his, but I brought mine back to our room where I did finish it. The next morning when our steward cleaned our room, the in-room glasses had been washed, but the bar glass disappeared.

We did the same thing the next evening, except DH brought his bar wine glass back to the room as well. The next morning the bar glasses were gone, and the in-room glasses were cleaned. If nothing else, the room stewards know the difference. Whether any staff would actually enforce the rule against bringing wine from your room into a public area is a whole other issue.

Perhaps HAL should put a bright orange stripe on the stem of the in-room wine glasses. Problem solved, that is until pax would get the unmarked bar glasses and hide them in the closet after they used them, kind of like using a room service tray in the Lido. :p

I added the color. I don't know about the glasses but I never thought about using the room service trays in Lido. How does that work--how do you get the dishes collected when you are done? Wouldn't someone notice the tray is missing? And, if I recall correctly, those trays are huge. do people actually do this??? wow, I like getting a new plate when i go back to the line in the Lido and I can always go back and get something that didn't fit on my plate. I could see myself doing this now--I know I would either slip on a wet spot on the floor or bump into someone/something and drop the tray (like in junior high!!):o:)

ML

I don't know about the glasses but I never thought about using the room service trays in Lido. How does that work--how do you get the dishes collected when you are done? Wouldn't someone notice the tray is missing? And, if I recall correctly, those trays are huge. do people actually do this???

I did it on my first cruise after the Lido trays were taken away.

I ordered room service breakfast the first morning, removed the dishes from the tray, washed it down, and hid it in the closet. The dishes were removed, and yes, I am sure someone realized the tray was missing. But what could they do? Set up a search? Ransack the cabin??? :D

And yes, the tray is huge compared to the ones we had been used to.

When I took it to the Lido to use, it was noticed by the supervisor, who kindly exchanged it for a regular tray for me; he offered. Since then, I pack a tray in my suitcase. I don't always use it, but sometimes it comes in handy.

• 2 months later...
Yes, it is new, not in the Know Before You Go text I posted 7/29/13:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39330048#post39330048

I understand the new 2014 alcohol policy but i do not see the stipulation against bringing boxed wine onboard up until that time. My sister asked me this morning if Holland allows wine carried on board, why not just bring one box of red on our December cruise, versus each of us juggling glass bottles. what is the answer on this? :confused::confused: i would hate to misinterpret and let them confiscate a $25 box. It would be a buzzkill for my sisters first embarkation!:p

I understand the new 2014 alcohol policy but i do not see the stipulation against bringing boxed wine onboard up until that time. My sister asked me this morning if Holland allows wine carried on board, why not just bring one box of red on our December cruise, versus each of us juggling glass bottles. what is the answer on this? :confused::confused: i would hate to misinterpret and let them confiscate a $25 box. It would be a buzzkill for my sisters first embarkation!:p

If you are cruising before January 31st 2014 (the revised date of the new policy) you can take as much wine as you like. After that, it's 750 ml per pax.

For clarification. Does this mean that if I order a glass of wine at a bar pre dinner and don't finish it, I can't bring it to the MDR?

It does not, Carol. You may carry the wine you purchased in a lounge anywhere on the ship you please. No need to chug-a-lug.

I brought a box on in Febuary and am planing on bring another box on next week I find that I do not have to deal with a cork screw and more conveient. I just find the crew member who give me the bigest smile is winner of the left over wine at the end of the trip (if there is any):D

Yes you can definitely bring boxed wine, up until Jan 31st. After that time, a box of wine exceeds the allowance per passenger.

I invoke Godwin's Law on you. :rolleyes:

Good one Peter! I also Googled it, as never heard of it, but it's apropos in this case! :D:D

I believe Olson99 said that in jest, much like people ask about having wine left over from dinner be kept for the next night. We too are unfamiliar with unfinished bottles. ;)

LOL..:) Guess we're in the minority..I can only drink one glass at dinner in order to stay awake & DH will normally have two glasses, but doesn't drink the rest of the bottle, so we are ones who sometimes have wine left over..I have to stop the wine steward from pouring, as he'll want us to have a new bottle every night..:eek: It's not that we're trying to save $$, it's that I want to stay awake & enjoy the rest of the night.. I'm normally a one drink lady, as I'm designated driver when we go out!

cheers, Betty

Archived