Carnival to Begin Posting Crime Statistics on their Website

MrPete

With 10 million passengers sailing from US ports every year. 500 crimes a year is about one in 50 thousand. That is so much better than in cities in the US.

I'd rather stats that compare cruises to other vacation environments; not including inner cities. I never vacation there.

Carnival Corp. plans to disclose one number for all brands, so you won't know exact numbers for say Princess, HAL, or Carnival Cruise Cruise Lines. You can bet that the lions share of incidents will be for Carnival Cruise Lines, as you rarely hear of anything happening on the other brands. CCL carries the most passengers so it's natural the numbers will be higher, but it's also just the nature of the beast.

NCL and Royal Caribbean have already disclosed their numbers, which can be found on their respective websites.

NCL:

http://www.ncl.com/about/voluntary-reporting-statistics

Royal Caribbean:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=royal_caribbean_cruise_ship_crime_allegation_statistics

Carnival Corp. plans to disclose one number for all brands, so you won't know exact numbers for say Princess, HAL, or Carnival Cruise Cruise Lines. You can bet that the lions share of incidents will be for Carnival Cruise Lines, as you rarely hear of anything happening on the other brands. CCL carries the most passengers so it's natural the numbers will be higher, but it's also just the nature of the beast.

They may change that when the generic Carnival name is associated with a number, where many will assume its the line and not the corp.

But you're right. The whole number may just end up belonging to the line.

Is there a CarnivalCorp website?

It looks like the cruise industry is finally responding to the statements made by Ross Klein and Jay Rockefeller at the Senate hearings last week and the rehash by the news media. They have refuted several of his assertions at the link below. If you saw the hearing you would know it was pretty much one sided with Rockefeller practically calling Cahill and Goldstein and the former NTSB head liars and allowing Ross Klein to interrupt whenever he pleased.

http://ceoblog.cruising.org/content/setting-record-straight-crime-and-consumer-protections

I agree with the refutation that crime rates are lower at sea. How many criminals would pay money to board the ship to commit crimes when they can stay ashore for free?

But, I guess even criminals need a vacation, sort of a busman's holiday.

NCL and Royal Caribbean have already disclosed their numbers, which can be found on their respective websites.

NCL:

http://www.ncl.com/about/voluntary-reporting-statistics

Royal Caribbean:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=royal_caribbean_cruise_ship_crime_allegation_statistics

Royal Caribbean certainly has multiple brands. Even NCL has more than one. Where are the rest of the stats?

Now if only Congress would report how many crimes they commit.

That's great that they're "compliant", but unfortunately it fails to mention all of the cases that are settled out of court or not reported at all. When I was a teenager on ships, I was sickened by of all the people I would meet that had been propositioned by crew members and many times, sadly, followed through when plied with alcohol. We had crew members buying us hard alcohol without even asking. We're talking about 14-16 year old females and adult male staff members. I don't know a single person that reported it. Why? Because they are young, intimidated, and leaving the ship in a day. In addition, many adolescents might be resistant to report it because they don't want to "mess up" their family vacation by bringing up a potentially shameful crime? JMHO. I seriously doubt that this has stopped happening.

Laura

That's great that they're "compliant", but unfortunately it fails to mention all of the cases that are settled out of court or not reported at all. Laura

I am not sure how you propose they improve on that since those settled out of court are normally bound by legal restrictions and how can anyone create statistics from crimes not reported at all.

I find the whole reporting somewhat farcical. Are the US legislators now going to pass a law requiring airline, hotels and trains to publish statistics too.

Archived