Balcony vs Premium Balcony

coloradocruisers101

We are looking at a Caribbean cruise in March on the Ruby. Can any one tell me the difference from regular balcony and a premium balcony. We are looking at B435 vs C435. Worth $100.00 for a bigger balcony for two people? We also always reserve the sanctuary for the week. Any advise would be great!

Warm Regards,

Sharon

Love the Caribe deck balconies. The mid ship cabins on that deck are now classified Delux. Go towards the rear on Caribe and those same size balconies and cabins are classified BD> that is our new home from now on.(the 700 numbered cabins). Caribe balconies much larger than Baja. By the way, if Caribe is more expensive, I would still pay it. We use our balcony a lot on Caribbean crusies. Don't pay for Delux category, do what I said and go toward the rear.

Edited by san diego sue

You should be aware when booking a balcony cabin that those located on Caribe deck generally have the largest balconies of any regular cabin on the ship at about 9'x9' vs 9'x5' for cabins on other decks. The interior of the cabin will be the same as other regular (non-suite) cabins. The balconies on Caribe deck are half covered so you can be out in the sun or in the shade as you desire.

Our preference is a cabin from about mid-ship toward the aft end for the smoothest ride. Cabins aft of the aft elevator are very quiet since there is very little hallway traffic.

Lew

On the forward balconies on Caribe, stay south of the 300 numbers, and it also is considered a lower category. We try to stay as close to the 300's

as we can, before the price changes to delux. These ships are large, and I really don't feel the movement. Although I prefer more aft, have booked the forward ones (in fact have one for Caribbean cruise on the Emerald).

Thanks for your answers. We are midship people always as DH has motion sickness. I would love to try an aft suite sometime, but not in our cards. That is why is the past, we try to reserve arount 435 which is truly midship. I think we will book caribe 435 since I love the fact that they are partially covered. Thanks again for the information....

Love the Caribe deck balconies. The mid ship cabins on that deck are now classified Delux. Go towards the rear on Caribe and those same size balconies and cabins are classified BD> that is our new home from now on.(the 700 numbered cabins). Caribe balconies much larger than Baja. By the way, if Caribe is more expensive, I would still pay it. We use our balcony a lot on Caribbean crusies. Don't pay for Delux category, do what I said and go toward the rear.

Wow, quite a strong statement. Not everyone likes aft cabins, nor does everyone think the Caribe deck is the best.

Thanks for your answers. We are midship people always as DH has motion sickness. I would love to try an aft suite sometime, but not in our cards. That is why is the past, we try to reserve arount 435 which is truly midship. I think we will book caribe 435 since I love the fact that they are partially covered. Thanks again for the information....

I have motion sickness - heck, I get carsick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. I was really worried about cruising and being sick all the time. I got "the patch" from my doctor. Our first night out on our first cruise the sea was really rough. The ship tossed and turned all night and the next morning people were staggering all over the ship. I didn't get sick. Not a bit. If you haven't done so I highly recommend that you have your husband ask his doctor for a prescription for patches. They just look like a small, round band-aid and go behind your ear. They work.

Edited by Thrak

We are booked on the Emerald in Jan. which has the same cabin layout as the Ruby. Our cabin is C618 with a 9'x9' balcony. We have our booking marked "No Upgrade." Why? Because there are many balcony category cabins classified as higher categories which actually have smaller balconies. All the interiors are the same. We don' want to be "upgraded" to a less desirable cabin.

I just got an email that we have been upgraded from Caribe 702 to Caribe 300 on Diamond I've tried to search for info on this cabin and I guess am not asking the right search questions. 300 is a premium balcony- because it is midship?

I see it is also a wheelchair accessible room. I don't need that, will it be a problem if someone does?

Thanks for any help- CC gurus.

Kathie

When I posted "Do what I said" didn't mean strong statement that I was telling someone what decision to make, I meant go to the instructions I had posted to check out the price difference (BD over Delux price).

Some people are really weird on this site and unfortunately misunderstand. Or I apologize if I didn't make it more clear.

When one is trying to help , it is sad that I am called out for it.

To the OP, yes definetly go with the choice that works best for you , which is what I always do.

I've booked C752 on the Grand for a short cruise next May. It's on the corner with an aft-facing balcony on the stern. I don't have any specific info on the cabin but, looking at the deck plan, I'm hoping it will be a great location. I figured the larger balcony with fewer neighbors (only a suite next to us) and the view of the wake might make for a nice experience.

I've booked C752 on the Grand for a short cruise next May. It's on the corner with an aft-facing balcony on the stern. I don't have any specific info on the cabin but, looking at the deck plan, I'm hoping it will be a great location. I figured the larger balcony with fewer neighbors (only a suite next to us) and the view of the wake might make for a nice experience.

This is a brilliant cabin. We managed to grab one on a recent short cruise. It is really quiet you have your own corridor to your cabin door. The balcony is very large. ( I believe bigger than the caribe side balconies. We loved it, watching the sailaway and the wake. Lovely. Enjoy! Just to confirm - The cabin itself is the same size as other balcony cabins.

image.jpg.6cfbc2f53b9df11eab2d813b56c7e3c4.jpg

Edited by jackieo

Nothing wrong with the forward balconies on C deck. We were in C103 and didn`t have any problems. We even got a wave from the Captain above us on the bridge. :)

When we booked it was the only cabin left on C deck in the cheaper price category so we jumped at it.

I just got an email that we have been upgraded from Caribe 702 to Caribe 300 on Diamond I've tried to search for info on this cabin and I guess am not asking the right search questions. 300 is a premium balcony- because it is midship?

I see it is also a wheelchair accessible room. I don't need that, will it be a problem if someone does?

Kathie

C702 is an aft section balcony cabin on the the Caribe deck with a large 9'x9' balcony. It has the normal balcony cabin interior.

C300 is toward the bow near the forward stairs, and is a cat. B2 cabin, at least 5 cats higher than C702 which is cat BD. It is a handicap cabin. It is about 12' wide vs the 9' width of a standard cabin. The balcony is also 12'W x 9'D. It will have a large non obstructed shower and bath and other areas of the cabin that will be handicap accessible. It is very roomy.

Nothing wrong with the forward balconies on C deck. We were in C103 and didn`t have any problems. We even got a wave from the Captain above us on the bridge. :)

When we booked it was the only cabin left on C deck in the cheaper price category so we jumped at it.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Caber.:)

When I posted "Do what I said" didn't mean strong statement that I was telling someone what decision to make, I meant go to the instructions I had posted to check out the price difference (BD over Delux price).

Some people are really weird on this site and unfortunately misunderstand. Or I apologize if I didn't make it more clear.

When one is trying to help , it is sad that I am called out for it.

To the OP, yes definetly go with the choice that works best for you , which is what I always do.

Gloria

It beats me why you are called out for your comment!! I understood your meaning. I hope the OP does too. I second your opinion on the Caribe balconies - why pay for a deluxe balcony price amidship when you can be forward for less cost? Forward you can zip up and down to theater; aft, in the 600- 700 range, you have easy access to the MDR.

You barely feel motion on these big ships with the stabilizers, so I don't find a need for amidship cabins.

Keep giving advise. That is what CC is about - helping each other. Sending a big hug your way!!

Kathleen

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Princess assigned it to you with the knowledge that nobody who required a handicapped cabin was still needing one to be assigned.

Rather than leave it empty, they assigned it to you and will fill your original cabin either by re-selling it or by upgrading someone to it.

San Diego Sue...I did understand what you were saying and appreciate your feedback. Another post said that is does not matter aft or forward, but in our few cruises (5) it really does matter to my husband. He takes his bonine and seems to be fine, but he is that sensitive so we take all precautions available. Thank you again for your feedback. I was not offended at all. I love CC and all the people with their specific/personal remarks and suggestions.

Warm Regards,

Sharon

• 6 months later...

We have had Caribe balconies on both the Ruby and the Emerald...mid-ship. Loved both of them. It is nice to have an option to sit outside on under cover. Also, we got the larger table. We are headed to Hawaii and booked too late to get mid ship Caribe and ended up on Aloha 246. I am very nervous being that much forward as we have never done it before. Also, the Caribe decks look down on the Baja....no privacy.

We just had our first Caribe balcony on the Jan. 18th Ruby cruise. While loved the extra room on the balcony I would only book one for a warm weather cruise. On our Caribbean cruise we were out there more than we've ever used a balcony in the past. I had breakfast on the balcony every morning and spent many hours reading in the beautiful weather. But we found that the view of the ocean from inside the cabin is better on other decks. We usually take ta's, and the weather is not often warm enough to be outside a long time so the view from inside the cabin is important. Since we always have had Baja balconies, I guess we've gotten used to the view from those cabins.

Kathie

We were once upgraded at the last minute to a wheelchair accessible room and we loved it! It is more spacious than the normal rooms and has a large roll in shower. I'm not sure if they would move you again if they needed a room for a handicapped passenger but if you are able to keep it I think you will be very pleased.