How often do you eat in local places during your cruise?

Ship's Wake

Like many others have commented, part of the local culture is food/drink related. One of the reasons we cruise is to learn new things about the country we are in. A meal, drink or snack ashore helps to do that. We have had many great meals ashore. On of our best was the national dish of Chile served in the port town of Puerto Montt, roasted lamb in Chacabucco, and a Belem tart at a pastry shop in Lisbon. All memorable, cultural experiences.

We also eat off the ship. What a great opportunity to have local food and get away from the institutional food on the ship. Not saying ship food is bad, but when you prepare 10,000 plus meals a day, it is institutional food.

Our strangest, unknown food was something we had in Marrakesh off a street vendor:confused: Some kind of dough with stuffing cooked on a grill.

We had left Casablanca early that morning for the casbah. We were to eat lunch somewhere, but that never happened. So, prior to boarding the mini bus - half of the group revolted and headed for this poor women who would cook one ??? at a time. She made quite a bit of money that late afternoon.

Have no clue what we ate, but we were starving and it was good:D

None of us got sick. Didn't even think about it, just ate good, fresh, hot food,

BTW - the other half who wouldn't eat, got feeling puny later - probably envious:p

The quality of the food depends on how hungry you are:)

We have actually never eaten off the boat. Although we were on a tour in Costa Rica last year where they served fresh fruit and I got violently ill - but that could have been from the bus ride too :)

There was another thread where someone wrote that they went behind a local restaurant to take some photos of the scenery and saw the staff rinsing the dirty dishes with water - no soap. I am not comfortable eating in the Caribbean for fear of getting sick but may be more openminded in other regions.

They had a camera. A picture would be worth a thousand words to me.

There were photos and video that I saw recently on TV at fast food restaurants in the US. One was of a young worker standing in a bucket of lettuce. DD's former BF made a fort out of the pickles once. I saw him pose beside his creation.:eek.

I stopped eating at the LOLO's in St. Maarten several years ago because cockroaches ran across my table. They were too quick for a picture. Sorry!:D

With all that said experiencing local cuisine at reputable and recommended restaurants is something that we enjoy wherever we travel to.

In fairness to those who indicate that they do not eat off the ship, we also fall into that category at least some of the time.

When we have time and are not trying to cram as much sightseeing and adventure into the day, we will slow down and enjoy a stop for local food and drink. We prefer to travel this way.

When we are on the go and rushing from place to place or have a limited time at port, eating the local cuisine is not the top priority of our port visit.

In fairness to those who indicate that they do not eat off the ship, we also fall into that category at least some of the time.

When we have time and are not trying to cram as much sightseeing and adventure into the day, we will slow down and enjoy a stop for local food and drink. We prefer to travel this way.

When we are on the go and rushing from place to place or have a limited time at port, eating the local cuisine is not the top priority of our port visit.

I fall into the category as well. I don't cruise for the whole dining experience, either on or off the ship. I'll have a decent breakfast before I leave the ship and then really don't want or need anything else until later in the day. Other than maybe a drink or a snack, a meal is not something I seek out. There are other things I enjoy more.

Hey Slidergirl,

Belican in Belize, and Turks Head in Grand Turk, and Sol or Corona in Mexico.:D

Sol when it very hot, Negra Modelo at night...

One cruise when I didn't eat off the boat was on my Nile Cruise. But, it wasn't because I didn't want to. The sightseeing was done in the morning and then we went back to the boat for lunch, then an afternoon visit to another set of ruins if available. But, I did partake of local food, just before the cruise, in Cairo. Went and had a bowl of foul. Fava bean stew. yummy.

When we were in Madeira we had a delicious lunch of espada black scabbard fish. This fish lives deep underwater, up to 5000 feet below the surface.

Can't say it had a distinctive taste, but I had to try it. Not going to find this fish here in Florida.

Sometimes you gotta go local. :)

BlackFish.jpg

I love to eat locally when traveling, but cruising all too often doesn't lend itself to eating ashore. There are exceptions, but most cruise ships leave port before it's time to eat dinner. And sitting down to a long local lunch can carve a lot of precious time out of a day. It's one of the reasons I find cruising to be unsatisfying as regards local food. On the other hand, I balance that out with the ability to get from place to place easily and painlessly. There are cons; there are pros. I definitely try to grab something local and quick for lunch -- panini or some pizza in Rome; a kebap in Turkey, etc. I'd never patronize an American chain.

It is interesting about many cruisers who simply take very busy tours when in Europe and do not have the time to enjoy a decent lunch. When most folks talk about Italy it is usually about Italian food (or wine). When folks talk about France it is usually about French cuisine. Yet when they are in these countries they will spend hours in a museum instead of enjoying the cuisine. Go figure.

Hank

Some of us require a feast for all of our senses, not just taste. Visiting a museum is a feast for my eyes and my brain, and that often wins out over a feast for my palate, when I have to choose. (On a land vacation one can do both.)

I live in a large city, so I can get very good Italian or French food at home. However, I cannot see the ruins at Pompeii or the art from the Louvre there.

My wife is taking chemo (been in remission for nearly 11 years!!) which lowers her ability to fight off diseases. When we were in Seim Reap (Angkor Wat) she ate or drank something she should not have. Became extremely ill. Took two months and four different antibiotics to cure it. The drugs they gave her in Cambodia fought it back so she could travel, but did not kill it so it came back after we were home.

So, we are very careful where and what she eats. We bring packages of crackers and things like granola bars.

So glad to hear that she finally recovered, Paul -- but, that must have been a very scary experience for both of you. :(

We sometimes cruise with my best friend, who suffers from Crohn's Disease. She has to travel with heavy duty medications, and is very careful about what she eats or drinks, when off the ship. As she has pointed out, one bad ice cube could ruin her whole vacation! :eek:

Love to try authentic local fare. We always make it a point to eat with the locals. Preferably in some out -of -the -way spot frequented by local natives and few tourist. I have no idea what I had in Progreso one trip, but it was fantastic.

I find it sad that so many people visit these exotic places and forgo the opportunity to try local dishes in lew of a hotdog or a hamburger.

Exactly that ^. I think my favorite has to be bouillabaisse in Marseilles and paella in Barcelona... oh, wait.. a lot more are coming to mind...

We also just can't feature not getting the total experience of a port. Often, we ask a tour guide or local shop owner where to have lunch. We've been directed to some fantastic local restaurants.

Often, we ask a tour guide or local shop owner where to have lunch. We've been directed to some fantastic local restaurants.

On our Baltic cruise two years ago, we hired a private guide and driver for our two day visit to St. Petersburg. They took us to some of their favorite places for lunch and dinner. These were definitely not tourist places - no English menus available. We were the only tourists in these places.

They were off the beaten path, and were quite good. For lunch the first day, our driver took us to a place many of the tour drivers met for lunch. For dinner our guide took us to a place near where she lived.

We're so glad we took this approach in such a unique part of the world.

I always eat locally on a cruise. Eating the local cuisine is as much a part of my vacation experiences as is seeing the sights. I rarely do excursions, so I can pick and choose when, where, and what I eat.

Eating in port at the Hard Rock, Cheesecake Factory, Mickey D's, Margaritaville, etc. do not count as eating local ;)

But I like going to McDonald's in different countries. There is one McCafe in Rome that has very good pastries, the regular restaurant is thru an odd hallway. In the Naples train station I got a balsamic and olive oil salad dressing that's not available in the States. Eventually I'll try local McD fare in other countries.

We try to eat in a more local than touristy place. Hence we stay away from the Papa's & Beer crowds. Last few cruises we have actually planned what and where we are going to eat in port. Paletas, gorditas, tacos, mariscos and molcajetes. For our cruise in Februaury we are bantering about what to order in a certain restaurant.

The absolute best lunch we ever had onshore was the "toes in the sand, cold beer in your hand" cuisine at Victor's on Stone Island (Mexican Riviera). The salsa and fresh-off-the-boat shrimp were the best I've ever had! Sadly, since the cruise ships have stopped going to Mazatlan, that's probably just a fond memory, now. :(

We've had some fantastic meals off the ship in many places. I think we're the opposite of some here, no way would we pass up an opportunity to sample local cuisine for mediocre cruise ship food. The "included" fare is OK, after all I don't have to cook it or clean it up, but I'm always perplexed when people rave about cruise ship food.

I love this thread and now I'm thinking I'd like some suggestions for local cuisine on St. Maarten and St. Thomas for next April.

I'm in both camps on this one. While I do enjoy a meal or two in port every cruise, I'm also cognizant of the fact that I've paid for my meals on the ship already. We'll usually do one lunch in one port and maybe a snack or two in other ports. And ALWAYS take advantage of the chance to try a local brew!

The problem is that almost all cruise ships have only a buffet for lunch. Buffet food in general is not good food. So when people say I paid for the buffet meal and I am cheap and don't pay for good food in port they should never complain about the quality of food on a cruise.

Why do so many people like the ship buffet food over a good port meal besides being cheap.

Are there people that like eating buffet and eat only buffets at home?

I think most buffets are lower on the quality of food scale than fast food places.

This says it all.

It amuses me to read the inevitable "I don't eat on shore, I have already paid for my meals on the ship" comments. Such a myopic view of life. Using that rational, why bother going ashore at all since you've already paid to be on the ship.

One of life's delights is to try new things. We have always opted to have a meal ashore whenever possible, usually at a sidewalk cafe where we can watch the world walk by. New tastes, new experiences, new memories.

Eating only on the ship - frugal.

Experiencing local foods in local cafes - priceless.

It amuses me to read the inevitable "I don't eat on shore, I have already paid for my meals on the ship" comments. Such a myopic view of life. Using that rational, why bother going ashore at all since you've already paid to be on the ship.

One of life's delights is to try new things. We have always opted to have a meal ashore whenever possible, usually at a sidewalk cafe where we can watch the world walk by. New tastes, new experiences, new memories.

Eating only on the ship - frugal.

Experiencing local foods in local cafes - priceless.

Love your post! Some of the travel comments (and questions) we hear are unreal. Last year a friend was going to Paris (this has nothing to do with cruises) and asked us to recommend a few "American food" restaurants where they could eat. We have also been on ships in the Med (France, Italy and Greece) where fellow passengers tell us they never eat anything off the ship because they are afraid of the food! And then there are the cruisers (and land travelers) who only see the world through the eyes of an excursion. The thought of even walking down the block without a guide horrifies some of these folks. Not sure I would want to travel at all...if I had to be constantly part of a large group doing group things. YUCK.

Hank

Love your post! Some of the travel comments (and questions) we hear are unreal. Last year a friend was going to Paris (this has nothing to do with cruises) and asked us to recommend a few "American food" restaurants where they could eat. We have also been on ships in the Med (France, Italy and Greece) where fellow passengers tell us they never eat anything off the ship because they are afraid of the food! And then there are the cruisers (and land travelers) who only see the world through the eyes of an excursion. The thought of even walking down the block without a guide horrifies some of these folks. Not sure I would want to travel at all...if I had to be constantly part of a large group doing group things. YUCK.

Hank

^^ That!!

For us, it all depends on the port. I didn't see anywhere in Dominica I wanted to eat, but I loved the spots in the Grand Caymans, Curacao, St. Johns. I loved each and every port we visited on our Med cruise and we ate at local spots throughout our trip. It's whatever you feel at the time...just like the ship itself or even the food reviews we see, it's all subjective.

If we're on a tour or excursion, and the shuttle or taxi driver recommends or stops at a place that's "famous" for their food, or specializes in local cuisine, we'll usually have a bite to eat, along with getting the local beer or beverage. But, most often, we'll just grab something to drink and eat when we get back on the ship.

Archived