NZ Has Some of World's Most Friendly Cities!!

From the main Fairfax newspaper in Wellington yesterday, they have this headline: "Three NZ cities in the world's friendliest list" with these highlights: "Queenstown, Christchurch and Auckland have made it to a list of 20 of the world's friendliest cities recently released by Conde Nast Traveler. The list of the Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities In The World is a part of an annual Readers' Choice survey where over 46,000 readers voted. Queenstown comes in at No 4. Conde Nast readers said the 'tranquil and peaceful town' boasts an 'excellent outdoor vibe' paired with 'down-to-earth, nice people.' 'The city itself is breathtaking, and it has so many areas that are close by for scenery and adventure sports.' This 'all-seasons jewel' is 'clean and inviting', delivering 'mountains, lakes and vineyards" that are "a feast for the eyes and the palate". Readers thought Queenstown could get by on its 'picturesque looks alone', but that it 'goes above and beyond with its hospitality'. 'Upbeat Kiwi attitude is also evident in the way that natives of the quaint town treat newcomers. The friendliness to visitors is humbling.' Auckland came in at No 16 with a readers' rating of 87.9, tieing with Savannah, Georgia in the US. According to readers, 'Perched on the edge of a beautiful harbor, Auckland is a pretty, lively city that is also dependably clean and friendly.' 'The people are happy and helpful to visitors.' Travellers loved Auckland's 'lovely waterfront, amazing restaurants, and outstanding National Museum.' But it's the warm hospitality that won readers over. 'I fell in love with the people, the city, and the country and will return someday.' At No 11 is Christchurch. According to readers, 'even though locals are still cleaning up from the earthquake that caused the city major damage in 2011, Christchurch continues to fight on and keep a good spirit.' "

Top 10 World's Friendliest Cities: 1. Florianopolis, Brazil, 2. Hobart, Tasmania, 3. Thimpu, Bhutan, 4. Queenstown, New Zealand, 5. Charleston, South Carolina, 6. Paro, Bhutan, 7. Margaret River, Australia, 8. Mandalay, Burma, 9. Kilkenny, Ireland / Ubud, Bali, Indonesia, 10. Chian Mai, Thailand

Top 10 World's Unfriendliest Cities: 1. Newark, New Jersey, 2. Islamabad, Pakistan, 3. Oakland, California, 4. Luanda, Angola, 5. Kuwait City, Kuwait, 6. Lome, Togo, 7. New Haven, Connecticut, 8. Detroit, Michigan, 9. Atlantic City, New Jersey, 10. Tangier, Morocco

These types of survey are not always perfect "science", but it is very interesting to see these four cities, including Hobart/Tasmania, doing so well, ranked so high. It says something!! Looking forward to visiting these in early 2014. Plus all of the rest on our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, Sydney to Auckland Solstice cruise. Won't make any comments on the "unfriendly" cities.

Reactions and added thoughts?

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/8994611/Three-NZ-cities-in-the-worlds-friendliest-list

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 138,085 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the main Fairfax newspaper in Wellington yesterday, they have this headline: "Three NZ cities in the world's friendliest list" with these highlights: "Queenstown, Christchurch and Auckland have made it to a list of 20 of the world's friendliest cities recently released by Conde Nast Traveler. The list of the Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities In The World is a part of an annual Readers' Choice survey where over 46,000 readers voted. Queenstown comes in at No 4. Conde Nast readers said the 'tranquil and peaceful town' boasts an 'excellent outdoor vibe' paired with 'down-to-earth, nice people.' 'The city itself is breathtaking, and it has so many areas that are close by for scenery and adventure sports.' This 'all-seasons jewel' is 'clean and inviting', delivering 'mountains, lakes and vineyards" that are "a feast for the eyes and the palate". Readers thought Queenstown could get by on its 'picturesque looks alone', but that it 'goes above and beyond with its hospitality'. 'Upbeat Kiwi attitude is also evident in the way that natives of the quaint town treat newcomers. The friendliness to visitors is humbling.' Auckland came in at No 16 with a readers' rating of 87.9, tieing with Savannah, Georgia in the US. According to readers, 'Perched on the edge of a beautiful harbor, Auckland is a pretty, lively city that is also dependably clean and friendly.' 'The people are happy and helpful to visitors.' Travellers loved Auckland's 'lovely waterfront, amazing restaurants, and outstanding National Museum.' But it's the warm hospitality that won readers over. 'I fell in love with the people, the city, and the country and will return someday.' At No 11 is Christchurch. According to readers, 'even though locals are still cleaning up from the earthquake that caused the city major damage in 2011, Christchurch continues to fight on and keep a good spirit.' "

Top 10 World's Friendliest Cities: 1. Florianopolis, Brazil, 2. Hobart, Tasmania, 3. Thimpu, Bhutan, 4. Queenstown, New Zealand, 5. Charleston, South Carolina, 6. Paro, Bhutan, 7. Margaret River, Australia, 8. Mandalay, Burma, 9. Kilkenny, Ireland / Ubud, Bali, Indonesia, 10. Chian Mai, Thailand

Top 10 World's Unfriendliest Cities: 1. Newark, New Jersey, 2. Islamabad, Pakistan, 3. Oakland, California, 4. Luanda, Angola, 5. Kuwait City, Kuwait, 6. Lome, Togo, 7. New Haven, Connecticut, 8. Detroit, Michigan, 9. Atlantic City, New Jersey, 10. Tangier, Morocco

These types of survey are not always perfect "science", but it is very interesting to see these four cities, including Hobart/Tasmania, doing so well, ranked so high. It says something!! Looking forward to visiting these in early 2014. Plus all of the rest on our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, Sydney to Auckland Solstice cruise. Won't make any comments on the "unfriendly" cities.

Reactions and added thoughts?

Full story at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/8994611/Three-NZ-cities-in-the-worlds-friendliest-list

You forgot to mention Margaret River in Western Australia, at No.7, Terry.

I'm sure you are aware of the friendly rivalry between NZ and Aust!

So overall Australia is more friendly than NZ with 2 cities in the top 10 vs 1 :p and we are both friendlier than the USA who has 5 of the 10 unfriendliest cities :eek: I can't believe Newark ranked higher than countries experiencing war, they at least have a reason to be grumpy!

Thanks Terry, I think you may find the these type studies/surveys are to taken with a grain of salt. As you would know, when visiting it is the people who leave a big impression on how you feel about a place, and all it takes is one bad experience to leave it tainted forever and one great experience to make it wonderful. I hope you have the later when visiting our shores and NZ's.:D

P.s. I would hardly call Margaret river a city.:D

So overall Australia is more friendly than NZ with 2 cities in the top 10 vs 1 :p and we are both friendlier than the USA who has 5 of the 10 unfriendliest cities :eek: I can't believe Newark ranked higher than countries experiencing war, they at least have a reason to be grumpy!

Boasting how great we are is fine, we just need to do it in a friendly manner.:rolleyes:

I was being tongue in cheek, as you said these studies needed to be taken with a grain of salt :) I only ever experienced friendly people in the US, hence my shock at them being ranked higher than a war torn country! :eek:

I was being tongue in cheek, as you said these studies needed to be taken with a grain of salt :) I only ever experienced friendly people in the US, hence my shock at them being ranked higher than a war torn country! :eek:

It seems not many tourists visit the wartorn countries to vote on them. ;)

You forgot to mention Margaret River in Western Australia, at No.7, Terry. I'm sure you are aware of the friendly rivalry between NZ and Aust!

MicCanberra: Thanks Terry' date=' I think you may find the these type studies/surveys are to taken with a grain of salt. [/quote']

Sorry for my goof in not doing a shout-out for Margaret River in Western Australia being at No.7. YES, am aware about that NZ vs. Aussie competition. That will be part of the fun to be "testing" and comparing the two countries, their styles, etc.

Appreciate, as I noted originally, that such surveys are not perfect, but they can be interesting, maybe. Clearly I sense some competition between some parts of Australia, such as Melbourne versus Sydney, West Coast versus, etc. We are looking forward to our own research and sampling. Up close and personal!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 114,79 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

It seems not many tourists visit the wartorn countries to vote on them. ;)

I was referring to Pakistan and Kuwait being on the unfriendly list, lower than New Jersey. War torn is probably not the right description, but there has been unrest in these countries for a long time now.

LOL, I noticed Sydney didn't make the cut either.:p

Won't touch the above comment from MicCanberra. From The Australian newspaper this morning, they have this headline: "The world's friendliest - and unfriendliest - cities named" about Conde Nast Traveler having its results of its readers choice survey on the world's friendliest cities. Earlier I posted a story that focused more on the NZ cities ranking high on that research.

Here are more of the highlights from this travel magazine research: "Two Australian destinations making a list of the top 10. Hobart was beaten to the top spot only by the 'Island of Magic', Florianopolis in Brazil. The Tasmanian capital, which was also recently named one of the world's best cities to visit in 2013 by Lonely Planet, was praised for its 'unique location, beauty and kind, friendly city natives'. 'They know how to treat visitors,' one commenter said. Another described it as 'one of the best places I've visited'. The second Aussie destination to make the top 10 list, Margaret River for sixth place and was praised for its vineyards and beaches. A Conde Nast Traveler spokesperson said: 'It's no wonder this small town, just south of Perth on Australia's west coast, ranked high in the friendliest category: It's known for excellent vineyards and plenty of surfing; who wouldn't be happy? Our readers also praised the town's ambience and restaurants.' "

Full story at:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/the-world8217s-friendliest-8212-and-unfriendliest-8212-cities-named/story-e6frg8ro-1226691364948

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 138,418 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Yeah, I like both these places and have been numerous times to Hobart but only once to Margaret river. I suppose a cynic (not me) may say that these areas are so dependent on tourists but the culture in both of these places is very much not tourist driven but relaxed and friendly.:D

I agree. It is certainly one of the top places in Australia that any tourist should visit.:) And cruising out of Sydney Harbour is something special.

I haven't been everywhere but it is certainly my Favourite, it is also the fav of lots of fellow cruisers all around the world. :D

Archived