Dawn: Any reason to avoid a 'new' cabin (5093)?

BOS_CruiseGuy

Hello Cruise Critic! As you can see I am new to posting. I have lurked for a while and am grateful for all that I have learned. I have cruised 5 times as a child (NCL, RCCL, CCL, Radisson) and once on the Spirit with my now-wife. I look forward to learning more and posting when I have (at least somewhat) useful things to add to discussions. :)

To my question:

We are sailing on the Dawn in January 2015 from New Orleans and have booked a mid-ship inside cabin 5093. Based on the deck plans on Cruise Critic (which I gather are pre-2011 dry dock) 5093 is a new sideways cabin. I have read about and feel comfortable with booking a sideways cabin.

Is there any reason to be nervous about booking a 'new' cabin? I am wondering if there is anything negative about the neighboring space, which might be why there wasn't a cabin there initially.

9450107426_989cc786dc_c.jpg

NCL.com cabin plan

9450107454_11e5c1d8ef_c.jpg

Cruise Critic deck plan

(If the cabin numbers are blurry, 5093 is mid-ship starboard and sideways)

Thanks for your insights!

I'll be onboard in October 2013 and if you haven't gotten an answer by then,

I'll go check out the room. If you still need your question answered, let me

know via the roll call for October 11th 2013 sailing and I'll scope it out for you. margretha

For what it is worth, this is what DeckPlanGenius website says:

Overview

Norwegian Dawn Cabin 5093 is on a lower deck on the ship. Passengers who are prone to seasickness should select cabins on lower decks.Norwegian Dawn Cabin 5093 is located below the restaurant. Noise from the restaurant is generally not a concern.

Norwegian Dawn Cabin 5093 may be located below a kitchen area. Some kitchens can be a source of noise that may be heard in some cabins.

As Norwegian Dawn Cabin 5093 is located below a restaurant's kitchen area, there is the slight potential for some muffled noise from the kitchen finding its way to your cabin.

It doesn't say anything about the slantedness..... margretha

Hello Cruise Critic! As you can see I am new to posting. I have lurked for a while and am grateful for all that I have learned. I have cruised 5 times as a child (NCL, RCCL, CCL, Radisson) and once on the Spirit with my now-wife. I look forward to learning more and posting when I have (at least somewhat) useful things to add to discussions. :)

To my question:

We are sailing on the Dawn in January 2015 from New Orleans and have booked a mid-ship inside cabin 5093. Based on the deck plans on Cruise Critic (which I gather are pre-2011 dry dock) 5093 is a new sideways cabin. I have read about and feel comfortable with booking a sideways cabin.

Is there any reason to be nervous about booking a 'new' cabin? I am wondering if there is anything negative about the neighboring space, which might be why there wasn't a cabin there initially.

9450107426_989cc786dc_c.jpg

NCL.com cabin plan

9450107454_11e5c1d8ef_c.jpg

Cruise Critic deck plan

(If the cabin numbers are blurry, 5093 is mid-ship starboard and sideways)

Thanks for your insights!

Scratching my head where that room came from as the only insides I recall being added were on 12 during the refurb. This might have been where one of the self serve laundry was and they added a room.

Haven't seen sideways cabin on Dawn, but have on other ships. Layout/floorplan is a little different. Many cruisers say they seem bigger, and only book sideways cabins.

No info on noise.:mad:

Edited by mdvlprof

Scratching my head where that room came from as the only insides I recall being added were on 12 during the refurb. This might have been where one of the self serve laundry was and they added a room.

I wish that NCL left the self service laundries, and would have one on each passenger deck.

Last week while waiting to get off the Dawn, we walked around looking at many different cabin categories, one of them being the inside configuration you were talking about. I'm pretty sure I recall one of them not having anywhere to sit besides the bed. You might want to try a little more research - this site with the specific cabin number, you tube. I don't know if it would bother you if there's nowhere to sit besides the bed.

The only "new" rooms that were added were on the upper deck. The insides on deck five have been the same since the launch of the Dawn.

By 2015 there will be far from "new" anymore. We had a sideways room on another NCL ship a few years back and really liked it, seemed to have more room.

• 2 months later...

Hi. We just got off the Dawn, and we had a cabin right across the hall from 5093. I only peeked in once when our room steward showed us, but he told us it used to be the laundry room and that it was layed out differently, and that it was a bit larger. We don't book inside cabins so I wasn't too interested in looking at it more thoroughly, but now I wish I had. I might give up a window if the bathroom was bigger! Maybe we'll get an update on this post from someone else.

Julie

We stayed on a sideways cabin on deck 10 on the Dawn in July.

It's not any better and it's not any bigger - it's just an inside cabin with a different layout. It was fine, but not to write home about. We got such a cheap deal on that cruise, I would have slept on the deck. Happy cruising.

• 6 years later...

Under the present deck plan 5093 is right underneath the deck 6 La Cucina Restaurant and above

the deck 4 unmarked (white) area perhaps crew accommodations.

While the square footage of space maybe the same the sideways inside cabins generally have

more and better bathroom space utilization.

These cabins are best for those with handicap devices wheelchairs scooters etc.