Guaranteed Room Confusion

new.b.cruiser

From the online booking system used by TA's , this rate code IS will guarantee you a 4A or above , no bunks :

If OP booked IS then no problem

If OP booked 1A Guarantee then big problem

OP better contact whomever they booked with for confirmation.

"ISInside GuaranteeGuaranteed Interior Stateroom - with twin/king bed. Cabin assignment will be made at time of sailing"

Yes, I understood why the thread was started and yes you can get a 1A with a IS gty.

I dont know why stewpapa threw into the mix that the OP might want to cancel this cruise and do a completely different cruise.

I have seen posts where people lately have gotten 1As with their IS gty and posts about putting a mattress on the floor or if its older ship with rollaways asking for one. Its a risk you take if you book a IS gty.

Ok, my misunderstand about IS. You mentioned that the onlything lower than an IS is a 1A, so that got me wondering again. Since the 1As are cheaper, they seem to go fast but I guess it is possible.

OK, this is why I was concerned. I have an IS booked for Jan 12th on the Sunshine. I just went an looked at my booking at it looks like this:

My Ship: Carnival Sunshine # of Guests: 2 Stateroom: To Be Assigned Bedding: 2 Twin Beds

Since it says 2 Twin Beds, does that mean it will not be an Upper/Lower?

The OP seems to think they are locked in and I was just pointing out that you can even change ES bookings if you are willing to pay $50. No rates are set in stone before final payment.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OK, this is why I was concerned. I have an IS booked for Jan 12th on the Sunshine. I just went an looked at my booking at it looks like this:

My Ship: Carnival Sunshine # of Guests: 2 Stateroom: To Be Assigned Bedding: 2 Twin Beds

Yes ! You will get exactly what it states.

From the online booking system used by TA's , this rate code IS will guarantee you a 4A or above , no bunks :

If OP booked IS then no problem

If OP booked 1A Guarantee then big problem

OP better contact whomever they booked with for confirmation.

"ISInside GuaranteeGuaranteed Interior Stateroom - with twin/king bed. Cabin assignment will be made at time of sailing"

It used to be true, but lately people have been getting 1As with IS gtys is the problem with what might be stated on the TA site.

I know a couple of years ago this was true, my PVP said you could not get a 1A with a IS gty .. but it changed, and perhaps Carnival has not updated goccl

There is a glitch or something in the system where it says that if you have a gty not yet assigned.

Once it is assigned, they a edit button appears and you can change to king bed, but not before.

I know what you mean.. I had it until about a week ago for my miracle august 27th cruise where you cant change the beds until the gty is assigned.

It does not mean you cant get a upper and lower if you booked a IS as people have reported they got one. I do think its rare enough not to worry about getting.

Wow, lots of good info! I think I will call Carnival and get a definite answer. I had no idea that I was allowed to upgrade with a non changeable rate, depending on what Carnival says I may consider it... Oh and my reservation also says 2 twins, without an option to modify to a queen... I will post the info that Carnival gives me.

Wow, lots of good info! I think I will call Carnival and get a definite answer. I had no idea that I was allowed to upgrade with a non changeable rate, depending on what Carnival says I may consider it... Oh and my reservation also says 2 twins, without an option to modify to a queen... I will post the info that Carnival gives me.

I posted above, yes it says two twins because you are a gty. Once they give you a cabin, then you can change it and the edit button will appear assuming its a option on the cabin you get. I got a 4J that the beds dont move together, so it would not be a option. It was a HC cabin.

By the way, the Freedom is a nice ship. I'm sure you'll have a great cruise and you won't be in an upper/lower cabin.

I don't understand. Considering what everyone else has said, how can you be sure they will not get bunks? It would seem from all the comments that it could in fact happen, although it appears to be unlikely.

there are a few cabins that the beds sit head board to headboard and those are handicapped cabins. the beds can not go together.

People here know more then the carnival person you call. Hopefully you dont get one who is only quoting off the web page

Yay! So I called Carnival, the good news is that all the upper/lower rooms are already booked so there's no way I will get stuck with one. I did inquire about upgrading to a better room bc the price I paid is higher than even the O.V is now... However I was told that bc I'm booked in super saver if I want to upgrade I need to pay extra (so the cabin price needs to be more than what I originally paid) The agent then tried selling me an Ov for Only an extra 40$... how annoying lol. Why would I pay more for a room that is now cheaper than what I paid to begin with... Plus having a window really does nothing for me... So there you have it... Oh and just a tip when speaking with Carnival, if the agent hesitates or dances around an answer nicely tell them, I dont mind waiting on hold if you want to double check that... It's kind of a nice '' I can tell you are not sure so please check''

<snip> The agent then tried selling me an Ov for Only an extra 40$... how annoying lol. Why would I pay more for a room that is now cheaper than what I paid to begin with... Plus having a window really does nothing for me...

The OV rooms are a bit larger than the interior rooms as well, but with 2 people that may not matter to you.

Make sure to check all of the available classes of rooms, you may be able to bump up to an obstructed balcony or the like for roughly the same price (occasionally less). My co-worker ran into that situation when traveling with her family. They wanted $200 to "change" them to an OV that was now priced lower, but only $160 something to "upgrade" them to a balcony since the prices had changed so much since she had booked.

The OV rooms are a bit larger than the interior rooms as well, but with 2 people that may not matter to you.

Make sure to check all of the available classes of rooms, you may be able to bump up to an obstructed balcony or the like for roughly the same price (occasionally less). My co-worker ran into that situation when traveling with her family. They wanted $200 to "change" them to an OV that was now priced lower, but only $160 something to "upgrade" them to a balcony since the prices had changed so much since she had booked.

Good to know! I'll keep an eye out for something like that... Yeah I noticed the ov are a little larger but exactly we are only 2 and it really wont make a difference. Plus I have read that Carnival has the largest inside cabins in the cruise industry

There is a glitch or something in the system where it says that if you have a gty not yet assigned.

Once it is assigned, they a edit button appears and you can change to king bed, but not before.

I know what you mean.. I had it until about a week ago for my miracle august 27th cruise where you cant change the beds until the gty is assigned.

It does not mean you cant get a upper and lower if you booked a IS as people have reported they got one. I do think its rare enough not to worry about getting.

I called Carnival and was able to upgrade from a IS to a Porthole cabin for $30 pp. Not bad for the entire week. The Porthole cabins are just like outside cabins except two smaller windows (the have 2 twin/king and a sofa) on the Sunshine.

Yay! So I called Carnival, the good news is that all the upper/lower rooms are already booked so there's no way I will get stuck with one. I did inquire about upgrading to a better room bc the price I paid is higher than even the O.V is now... However I was told that bc I'm booked in super saver if I want to upgrade I need to pay extra (so the cabin price needs to be more than what I originally paid) The agent then tried selling me an Ov for Only an extra 40$... how annoying lol. Why would I pay more for a room that is now cheaper than what I paid to begin with... Plus having a window really does nothing for me... So there you have it... Oh and just a tip when speaking with Carnival, if the agent hesitates or dances around an answer nicely tell them, I dont mind waiting on hold if you want to double check that... It's kind of a nice '' I can tell you are not sure so please check''

IMO the extra $40 for an OV is well spent money. OP,when you first posted I'll bet you'd of gladly upgraded for the 40 beans. BTW you never know, people do cancel so if you somehow are not assigned a room ahead of time you could still get the 1A. I book guarantee sometimes and only once got a room at sign in though. BUt, I've never booked guar. inside because of the bunk beds. Guarantee room assingements probably depend a lot on how fast the ship is filling.

It would be worth it to me to upgrade to the OV for $40. The OV cabins are considerably bigger and have a couch. The only seating in an inside cabin is one chair. We did an inside on the Freedom and you can see our cabin photos in my review...the link is in my signature below.

My DH loves the darkness of an inside cabin, but for me it starts to feel a little claustrophobic. And...without natural daylight my sleep patterns tend to get mixed up.

Regardless...my guess is that you will love cruising and by the time you book your next cruise you will feel like an old pro!

I've always booked a guarantee room... And ended up with some pretty good selections!

Booked a OV guarantee on fascination, ended up on the empress deck, steps from everything.

I booked a guarantee interior on the Glory and ended up one deck below the lido and the restaurant (very convenient to the pool and breakfast)... Thought for sure that the noise would be an issue being below the galley part of the buffet, but never heard anything.

Booked a guarantee balcony on the Dream, was fully expecting a cove balcony, and ended up on the lido deck. After this cruise, I'm spoiled. The Lido deck location was soooo awesome!

I just booked for my next cruise, but had no option for guarantee, but i'm on the panorama deck in a spa cabin for what I expected to pay for an interior. (Dream again).

My long winded point being this, you typically end up with MUCH better room selections at a fraction of the price. Had I booked any of the above rooms through actually picking it out, it would've cost significantly more. Most ships only have a handful (5-10) cabins with bunk beds and typically those are gone first to the people who just want a bed on the ships.

Twice I've booked IS GTY...once I received an OV cabin and once I received a 4K ( available on spirt class ships and only on level 4)..these have French doors that open but that's it...anyway,when we got to the Long Beach port I noticed that our 4K room was now on the 8th floor...cabin number started with an 8..I was excited thinking that maybe, just maybe we had a balcony...imagine our surprise when we opened the door and it was an ocean view suite :D....so keep the faith..you just never know what will be assigned...have an awesome cruise no matter what the cabin..

Archived