Lens For A Safari

Keith1010

As part of our cruise next year we will be doing a couple of day Safari.

I plan to have two Nikon Cameras with me (D7000 and D7100) just in case I have a problem with one camera or a lens gets dirty and I don't want to change it out until we are back in our room.

If you were to put a lens on each camera and would not be able to change out any during your game drive what lens would you put on each camera?

Keith

Keith

Recently returned from a 10 day safari in the Serengeti in Tanzania. Took my Nikon D-5000 and only 2 lenses. Took my 18-55 mm for vista shots and a 70-300 mm for my telephoto.( did not bring a mono or tripod, but would have liked one) Also had my light for fill flash and nighttime photography as well. Wore a "fishing" vest with multiple pockets, where I kept the lens that I was not using at the time, flash attachment, lens cleaner extra batteries, memory cards, etc.

Also had my ipad with me and I downloaded pictures every night from camera to the ipad with the photo attachment purchased from the Apple store.

Suggest you shoot lots of pics and not worry about getting the perfect shot, because among all of your shots you are certain to find ones that you like. Enjoy...it is a "bucket list" experience.

I would 1st get a fast body like a D3s or D4. If something happens and you want to shoot at 9 - 10 FPS for a few seconds you got it. Fast focus is best with those bodies. Then put a 400mm f2.8 on your body, nothing better. Use your 7100 with a 24-70 f2.8 for your vista's. Have fun.

framer

Obviously, you want telephoto zoom on 1 camera. I wouldn't obsess about 2.8 lens, as that will add a lot of weight which isn't totally necessary in good light.

The real issue is the 2nd body.

If you aren't taking people shots, I'd have fun and go with a fisheye or ultra wide angle, like the Tokina 11-16. Will give some sweeping vistas.

If you think you want to capture people shots, and such, I'd go with more of a normal zoom range, 18-55 type lens.

I would 1st get a fast body like a D3s or D4. If something happens and you want to shoot at 9 - 10 FPS for a few seconds you got it. Fast focus is best with those bodies. Then put a 400mm f2.8 on your body, nothing better. Use your 7100 with a 24-70 f2.8 for your vista's. Have fun.

framer

All he has to do is cancel the cruise and safari and use the $12k - $14K for the D4 + 400/f/2.8! :D

On the serious side, the advice for using the 15-55 on one body and a 70-300 on the other will give you good versatility and eliminate the need to change lenses at all while in the land of dust.

Enjoy the trip!

Dave

Personally, if I were bringing two bodies and wanted to cover as much range as possible without lens changing...I'd stick an 18-250mm or 18-270mm ultrazoom lens on one of the bodies, and a dedicated long prime on the other - at least a 300mm + 1.4TC or 400mm lens. This would give you the good dedicated wildlife prime for the amazing sights you don't want to miss and maximum quality, while the other body could be used for almost anything, from a wildlife shot in the distance to a wide landscape vista...and could be used for those sudden unplanned situations where you're shooting a flower next to the truck and see a wildebeest in an opening 80 feet away and have 3 seconds to get the shot - the ultrazoom lens could cover the range.

All he has to do is cancel the cruise and safari and use the $12k - $14K for the D4 + 400/f/2.8! :D

On the serious side, the advice for using the 15-55 on one body and a 70-300 on the other will give you good versatility and eliminate the need to change lenses at all while in the land of dust.

Enjoy the trip!

Dave

Nowhere in his question did he set any limits. A guy doing a safari should not have money worries. These are the times where speed and performance are the difference from getting a tail shot or a prize winner.

As for using a 2.8 the autofocus just works better w/2.8, it not about not having enough light. It could also allow for a f4 560mm w/tc14eIII.

80-400 on D7100 and 16-85 on D7000

With 24Meg and DX crop you got likely cropability to equal 800 on FX and unless you are blowing up to poster size more then good enough.

As part of our cruise next year we will be doing a couple of day Safari.

I plan to have two Nikon Cameras with me (D7000 and D7100) just in case I have a problem with one camera or a lens gets dirty and I don't want to change it out until we are back in our room.

If you were to put a lens on each camera and would not be able to change out any during your game drive what lens would you put on each camera?

Keith

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I welcome additional input that anyone else has.

Choices, you mentioned wearing a vest to hold some spare lenses. Were you easily able to change out lens while out on a game drive. My concern was dust getting into the camera.

Thanks everyone.

Keith

Keith, I made it a point to NOT change lenses while the jeep was moving....churning up dust. While stopped however there should be little problem popping out one lens and popping in the other one, without contaminating the lens with dust. Found the vest invaluable for all the gadgets, batteries, flash, lens cloth, etc. Even had a couple of different filters stored in one of the pockets, and on several occasions was able to use them.

framer

You should be out only during the day, so should not need the "anchor-weight" 400/2.8. I have a 8-200/2.8 and do not take it on vacation, it's too heavy.

Also,the 24-70/2.8 is a FF lens, not crop, so it doesn't go with the D7100.

Take your kit 18-55 on one and a 70-300 on the other. That would cover the bases.

Enjoy....:)

Most everyone I have talked to recommends at least a 500mm lens 600mm preferably.

I have made four safaris, including hunts of up to 28 days each in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Namibia and a 10-day photo-only safari in Kenya and Tanzania, all before the digital age.

My most-useful lens was a Nikkor 105mm f2.5. If I were to go today, I'd pack my Nikon D300 and 200 bodies, a Tokina 12-24 f4, a Nikkor 18-200 or, perhaps, the new Nikkor18-300 if I needed more stretch. If shooting in low light would be a consideration, I might pack my prehistoric Nikkor 80-200 f2.8. No way would I pack an 11-pound Nikkor 400mm f2.8 that weighs even more than the .470 Nitro Express double rifle your guide carries to protect you from rogue cape buffalo or elephants.

Archived