prem liquor price increase

Hawaiidan

We just received the “Blue Book” for our September 2013 cruise on Riviera. The beverages packages are now as follows:

House Select - $39.95

Prestige Select – 59.95

Cheers,

Don

Did they also increase the corkage fee and house wine by the glass? Thanks.

Would you not be grandfathered under the old pricing in effect at the time you booked?

Yes you would, because like Shore Excursions, one pays for the drinks package at the time when you add it to your Portfolio. Therefore, if you buy it now for a future cruise, you pay the daily rate that is in force now.

Would you not be grandfathered under the old pricing in effect at the time you booked?

Probably not! We were on a 48 day cruise in January of this year. With only a 2 week warning, the prices increased from $49.95 to $54.95. One could purchase the package within those 2 weeks pre-cruise as a consolation, which did nothing to help those of us who had planned to purchase the package with our ship board credit.

Am not very happy with this increase AGAIN for our upcoming cruise in December. Yes, I know we are not forced to buy the package but gees, we're getting close to our budget's comfort level here.

I hope not increased - leaving Monday

Yes that would be the 2nd increase. Had we known it would increase again we would have bought before the last increase rather than wait until on board.

That is now $100 pp more on a 10 day. If on Monday it really is $60/day (and got no notice from TA so not happy on that count) DW will definitely not take it. Was pushing it at $55 but thought it would be worth the convenience.

Oh well, maybe we will now go back to shopping a little and bring some wine on board and spend a little quality balcony time. Hmmm, maybe top up a Waves fruit smoothy for the balcony too :). Looks like I just might save 10x$60x2 = $1200 less a little for bring on board + a few happy hours.

With even some evenings in port would be hard pressed to come up with $600 each over 9 1/2 days.

Perhaps all the champagne and cognac posts have led to the higher prices

Will have to phone O to find out what our price will really be on Monday

Very glad for CC - get up-to-date info here about my cruise here than from O or my TA

I hope not increased - leaving Monday

Yes that would be the 2nd increase. Had we known it would increase again we would have bought before the last increase rather than wait until on board.

That is now $100 pp more on a 10 day. If on Monday it really is $60/day (and got no notice from TA so not happy on that count) DW will definitely not take it. Was pushing it at $55 but thought it would be worth the convenience.

Oh well, maybe we will now go back to shopping a little and bring some wine on board and spend a little quality balcony time. Hmmm, maybe top up a Waves fruit smoothy for the balcony too :). Looks like I just might save 10x$60x2 = $1200 less a little for bring on board + a few happy hours.

With even some evenings in port would be hard pressed to come up with $600 each over 9 1/2 days.

Perhaps all the champagne and cognac posts have led to the higher prices

Will have to phone O to find out what our price will really be on Monday

Very glad for CC - get up-to-date info here about my cruise here than from O or my TA

For my tastes they could reduce the quality of champagne & cognac and keep the prices lower, as long as they still have good scotch on it. :D

Last time there was a warning, and you could book in advance for upcoming cruises. I don't want to do that, since I'm not sure until I cruise whether I'm going to buy a package, and if so, which one.

Then be glad that you are sailing with Oceania where you still have the choice, as opposed to "that other Line" where you didn't ;).

I STILL don't understand why drinks on-board are so very expensive! The booze is bought tax-free - no consumption in ports where bars are closed - and in great quantities, thus lowering the cost per bottle, which should bring prices lower than at stateside quality restaurants, not at the same price points!

Can anyone explain??

I STILL don't understand why drinks on-board are so very expensive! The booze is bought tax-free - no consumption in ports where bars are closed - and in great quantities' date=' thus lowering the cost per bottle, which should bring prices lower than at stateside quality restaurants, not at the same price points!

Can anyone explain??[/quote']

When last I checked Oceania was not part of the United Way, and was engaged in business to make money.:eek:

They are entitled to decide what their margins are as you are entitled to accept or reject them.

I would like to see the company making good profits so that it can survive into the future and insure us with a reliable and quality product. Their benefit actualy is in our best interests too.

Sure all the alcoholics will keep paying no matter how high the price goes. What, up 20% now in about a year. For the many non-alcoholics who don't drink daily, we will make out fine with the included soft drinks, coffees, etc. and an occasional overpriced alcohol drink.

Sure all the alcoholics will keep paying no matter how high the price goes. What, up 20% now in about a year. For the many non-alcoholics who don't drink daily, we will make out fine with the included soft drinks, coffees, etc. and an occasional overpriced alcohol drink.

I am with you...., I never eat cookies because they have yeast... and one little bite can turn a man to a beast.

Can you immigine the horrible disgrace of a man in the gutter...with crumbs on his face.... .:eek:

The poor wretches.... My heart bleeds for them

If I bring my tamborine can we march around the ship together fighting for temperance and salvation ?

Do the math. Factor in the free and discounted alcohol events. For us, we buy the discounted wins by the bottle because the wines by the glass do not appeal, generally. We also like to buy the occasional bottle of wine onshore and just pay corkage. I brought a bottle of duty-free Woodforde Reserve bourbon for the cabin. We might have two cocktails and don't need doubles. Packages do not pencil out for us.

I STILL don't understand why drinks on-board are so very expensive! The booze is bought tax-free - no consumption in ports where bars are closed - and in great quantities' date=' thus lowering the cost per bottle, which should bring prices lower than at stateside quality restaurants, not at the same price points!

Can anyone explain??[/quote']

My family & their friends have been travelling by ship for many,

many years( World cruises, long & short cruises since the 1920's) My first cruise was back in 1975. It was the last of true luxury at sea - food, service, entertainment top notch.

Now in this era of cheap, cheap, cheap - where does one go for quality. I do live in NYC so the cost is higher - but unless I am blatently being ripped off I accept the cost of what I chose. I certainly do not expect the same from Target as SAKS.

Cruise Corps like CARNIVORE are partially to blame for the cheap mentality...you get what you pay for. When eating in a restaurant on land there is a corkage fee....

WE are booking our first O cruise for the itin......we'll let you know what we see...

I am just frustrated at the cheapening of the cruise product....

Archived