Question about b2b in Alaska

PSR

Is it possible to take a 7-day Northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward, stay on and return on the following 7-day Southbound cruise to Vancouver? I am not sure if this would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act. We have had several b2b cruise plans stymied by this regulation.:( This would not be a Collector's cruise, which sometime seem to be able to avoid the problem by a mini-stop (such as Victoria) on a repositioning cruise to California after an Alaska RT.

Thanks for any information,

Penny

Is it possible to take a 7-day Northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward, stay on and return on the following 7-day Southbound cruise to Vancouver? I am not sure if this would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act. We have had several b2b cruise plans stymied by this regulation.:( This would not be a Collector's cruise, which sometime seem to be able to avoid the problem by a mini-stop (such as Victoria) on a repositioning cruise to California after an Alaska RT.

Thanks for any information,

Penny

The PVSA does not apply here. It only applies to cruises that begin in one US port and end in a different US port. As the cruises you are asking about would be Vancouver to Vancouver (non-US ports), there's no problem with them.

The PVSA does not apply here. It only applies to cruises that begin in one US port and end in a different US port.

The PVSA also applies to cruises that begin and end in the same US port, but with a different foreign port requirement.

But I totally agree with your main point that the PVSA does not apply here since the cruise would neither begin nor end in the US.

The PVSA also applies to cruises that begin and end in the same US port, but with a different foreign port requirement.

But I totally agree with your main point that the PVSA does not apply here since the cruise would neither begin nor end in the US.

If your are doing a cruise that goes from Vancouver to Seward and then you plan on coming back to Vancouver as the OP said, you are going from Canada to the US, and then the US back to Canada. I think we all forget that Seward is in Alaska which ofcourse is a US port.

I don't know what rules would apply here, but I sure would be checking on it. To me there should not be any problems but it never hurts to check.

If your are doing a cruise that goes from Vancouver to Seward and then you plan on coming back to Vancouver as the OP said, you are going from Canada to the US, and then the US back to Canada. I think we all forget that Seward is in Alaska which ofcourse is a US port.

I don't know what rules would apply here, but I sure would be checking on it. To me there should not be any problems but it never hurts to check.

OP was asking about doing a B2B Van-Seward, Seward-Van. In the eyes of the PVSA it's one cruise (even though it's actually 2) Vancouver - Vancouver.

Yes, I know Seward is a US port.

As others have posted, this itinerary has been done by many others before. It's entirely permissible.

The first time we did this was on the Veendam where they actually offered it as a 14-day cruise. The difference between the 7-day and the 14-day was about the price of getting back home from Anchorage. Since we were able to get off for the two weeks it was an easy choice. About 200 other passengers also opted for the 14-day.

We started doing these cruises back in 2001.

They are wonderful.

Some times there was a trolley in Seward -- not free -- that went back and forth from the ship and the town. Other times HAL provided a free bus to get around.

It is a vary early day in Seward for breakfast. The buses and trains for most of the passengers leave by 7 AM. Breakfast is over by 8 AM.

When you embark in Vancouver, and disembark in Vancouver two weeks later, Seward is no different a port than Ketchikan or Juneau. It is only a stop on the way from beginning to end.

Archived