A suite - should I?

I recently booked my second cruise in October after just taking my first one a few weeks ago (another 3 night Cruise on Enchantment). By the time I booked, balcony rooms were already sold out. I ended up just booking an inside stateroom as, unless it's a balcony, I didn't spend any time looking out the window - although the light in the room was nice.

Now I am considering upgrading to a Jr. Suite as I'd really like to have the balcony. So for all you experienced cruisers - a few questions.

Can you be put on a waiting list for a balcony room.

I've read in other threads how sometimes rooms are held by TA's, and then have to be released within so much time before the cruise. How soon before the cruise does this happen.

If I did upgrade to the suite, would I have to pay some kind of a change fee.

Is it worth - it. Are there benefits that I don't know about. As a solo - it would be over $700 more.

A JS will get you priority boarding, more space and double cruise points. It does not give access to priority seating at shows, reserved pool chairs, or concierge lounge like full suites. You don't say what ship it is or how long the cruise is so it's hard to say if $700 is worth it. When I used to travel solo, a balcony cabin was more than large enough but...that's me :) Enjoy your cruise!

I admit, I am a suite snob. All it took was one Jr suite and I was ruined for life. I just love my own little place on the rail, eating breakfast in my PJ's on the balcony, priority boarding and the double cruise points. Solo cruising is really expensive, and $700 isn't chump change, but I would go for it :)

There should not be a change fee to upgrade your stateroom category. Some TA's do have their own rules so it depends if your reservation is in a TA's name and the rules of that TA.

I definitely would not upgrade to a JS for one person. You really do not need all of that extra space and the expense of that space. $700 would go a long way towards another cruise.

I would go online and check the inventory of staterooms for your cruise frequently. If a balcony stateroom became available, put a courtesy hold on that stateroom and go from there. At any time, someone could cancel or a TA could give up staterooms. At final payment definitely inquire about availability and make it know that you want a balcony. Many times staterooms free up at this time since people have to make that final decision about the cruise.

Good luck! I hope you get that balcony!

I recently booked my second cruise in October after just taking my first one a few weeks ago (another 3 night Cruise on Enchantment). By the time I booked, balcony rooms were already sold out. I ended up just booking an inside stateroom as, unless it's a balcony, I didn't spend any time looking out the window - although the light in the room was nice.

Now I am considering upgrading to a Jr. Suite as I'd really like to have the balcony. So for all you experienced cruisers - a few questions.

Can you be put on a waiting list for a balcony room. Yes you can wait list for a Balcony or just keep checking daily on RCCL's website as cabins come and go regularly.

I've read in other threads how sometimes rooms are held by TA's, and then have to be released within so much time before the cruise. How soon before the cruise does this happen. TA's have to release all unsold cabins by the final payment period. The final payment period is generally about 75 days before the sail date but sometimes vary depending on the length of the cruise.

If I did upgrade to the suite, would I have to pay some kind of a change fee. No change fee

Is it worth - it. Are there benefits that I don't know about. As a solo - it would be over $700 more.

I travel solo regularly and really don't think the benefits are enough for me to spend the additional money on a suite or even a balcony for that matter. IMO the money is better used for shore excursions and on board purchases.

If that is $700 extra for a 3 day cruise no way would I do it. But I'd be checking daily to see if RCI has any balconies available for a decent rate.

And I'm w/ you. Balcony or inside. The ocean view/window cabins just don't do it for me. I never stand at the window and look outside. Just not relaxing. And can't see much out the window if you're sitting down. So I too would be happy w/ an inside if I couldn't get that balcony.

Thanks all. I did call RC and get on the waiting list for a balcony room. Final payment is due on August 12th, so she said some might free up then. If that doesn't work, I may still decide to upgrade to the suite - it looks pretty nice.

On my last cruise, my sister was along so I didn't spend any time in my cabin. Given that this will be a solo cruise, I might be spending more time in there - so would really like the balcony.

I am someone who loves having a balcony, but for only 3 days it would not be worth $700 to me either. I have no idea whether or not it would be worth it to you. We all have different values and preferences.

(In fairness I guess I should confess that I would not even be likely to book a cruise that is only 3 days long in the first place, unless it was tacked on to another cruise as a B2B.)

One way to help decide might be to ask yourself what else you would do with that $700 if you did not spend it on the Jr. Suite.

But if your cruise isn't until October, just wait list for a balcony and keep on watching the availability in the weeks ahead because the odds are likely that there will be some balconies opening up between now and then.

I like the JS myself, but, I don't think I would do it for 700 dollars for three nights. That's basically half what we have paid for a couple of our JS's for 10 nights. That being said, keep an eye on the web site. My experience has been that as it gets closer to final booking, some rooms free up. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

I think there's an excellent chance a regular balcony will come up right before or after final payment- especially on a 3 night...there will be a good percentage of folks who,won't be able to scrape up the cash and those cabins will open up. Dont rust anyone else to find one for you- check yourself for available balconies just before and after final payment date and call your agent/RCI as soon as one pops up. Good luck! I love a balcony, but won't pay the premium for a suite- I really don't think you'll need too! :D

For $700 more, could you book a regular balcony on a longer cruise the same week? Maybe you don't have the vacation days, but it is worth considering.

And that said, I'm with those who think at least one balcony cabin will open up on your current sailing. There is a website out there that you can pay $1 and it will monitor cabin categories for you, and you can set it to notify you if a balcony becomes available. Can't say the name here but I think a good google search would find the website for you.

We were in a similar delimma, then my husband called RCI and asked them how much to upgrade from a sov balcony to a JS and they told us 400total for both of us so we did it. Online, it said it would be about 550 for us to upgrade so they gave us a bit of a bargain!

For us 400 is justified since vacation time is limited and we do one long cruise and one short cruise a year....so the double points are nice.

I don't think we would have upgraded if it had been 700 though

I recommending waiting to book the Jr. Suite. Yes, it might not be available later. But if you book it now and a balcony room becomes available or the price drops on the Jr. Suite after final payment, you wouldn't be able to downgrade or get the price drop. By waiting, you can still upgrade to the balcony room (if it becomes available) or Jr. Suite (if it's still available) after final payment by paying the difference in cost at the time of making the upgrade.

Call Royal Caribbean or your TA about once a week to see if anything is available. You can also update your Crown & Anchor preferences if you want to be contacted for an upgrade (No guarantees one would become available, and you may have to pay a reduced amount for the upgrade).

Best case scenario - You pay less and get a balcony room (or even a Jr. Suite).

Worst case scenario - You don't get a balcony room or Jr. Suite, but you still have a great cruise because you saved all that money. You enjoy the Solarium and other public outdoor areas instead.

my rule of thumb is no more than $100 per night more.. so $700 for a 3 night is completely NOT worth it.. and we LOVE suites.

I did recently upgrade on our X cruise for next year, but for a total of $500 for the pair of us on an 8 day cruise.

Just before final payment last year a JS became available and I called to see if we could upgrade from a balcony to the JS, having established in my mind that I was willing to go as much as $500 for it. They told me $700 (for a 7-day cruise for the two of us). Wow! that seemed like WAY too much for that little bit of extra space. But then she said "or it's $800 to upgrade to a GS". Really?!! I had to ask her to repeat it, recover from shock, recalculate my anticipated budget ... so I asked her to bear with me a few moment while I took it all in. And my brain kept screaming at the fingers clutching the purse strings, "You idiot! When do you think you'll ever get another chance like this?" So whipped out my credit card and paid the additional funds for the increased deposit.

Pricing is all about where the excess inventory is. If your final payment is tomorrow, there is a strong possibility that balconies will open up. It's not only TA's that hold rooms till final payment. Lots of folks book cruises and then wait until final payment to decide if they are really going on this one ... or if they are switching to a different booking. I'd run a number of mock bookings today and tomorrow. As soon as a balcony opens up, put it on courtesy hold and then call RCI.

Emerald city- I felt the same way when I really wanted to upgrade from a JS to a GS and they offered me $1000 to upgrade and I couldn't refuse. Still &300 less than what the website was posting so I grabbed it. My TA even through in prepaid gratuities, $100 spa credit and a romance pkg for upgrading. Which doesn't include the $325 OBC and speciality restaurant for two. It is going to be well worth it. Sometimes you just can't refuse!

Thanks all. I did call RC and get on the waiting list for a balcony room. Final payment is due on August 12th, so she said some might free up then. If that doesn't work, I may still decide to upgrade to the suite - it looks pretty nice.

Ok if this was me, I would NOT book the balcony OR a suite right @ final or even a couple days after, unless the price goes way down. You do not want to grab a cabin one day after final, and then see a week or 2 post final that your price has really dropped and you cannot get an adjustment because it is past 48 hours.

I would watch and wait. There are still 60-70 days to go before the ship will sail. Unless it is completely sold out, I am guessing that there will be some price drops before then.

We have been on three cruises with RCI and the last two have been in GS's.

We love the extra room and that is the reason we decide to pay the extra. Until we retire we can only afford to cruise every two or three years, and because of my job as a high school teacher we are limited to the higher fare summer months. We have made the decision that it is worth it for the comfort that the room provides.

We are booked for a GS next July on Navigator. That gives us a year to save.

We have not tried a JS since we enjoy the Concierge Lounge.

How you spend your money is a very individual thing, but as others have said, once you go to a suite it is hard to go back to a smaller room. You get spoiled.

I know I can't wait until we retire so we can take advantage of the lower fares during the non-summer months.

Ok if this was me, I would NOT book the balcony OR a suite right @ final or even a couple days after, unless the price goes way down. You do not want to grab a cabin one day after final, and then see a week or 2 post final that your price has really dropped and you cannot get an adjustment because it is past 48 hours.

I would watch and wait. There are still 60-70 days to go before the ship will sail. Unless it is completely sold out, I am guessing that there will be some price drops before then.

Good point. Here's my plan. If a balcony room becomes available around final payment, I'm going to book it (I'm not good at waiting - no patience at all :)). If all the prices ultimately drop after that, I will just upgrade to a JS. There are still 11 showing as available and I'm assuming that number will get larger due to some cancellations and TA holds freeing up. I will keep an eye on that.

Thanks EVERYONE for all of your help and feedback. This forum is awesome! I can't WAIT for my next cruise!

Archived