Does it matter to you if your cabin is port or starboard?

resstation

We will be on the Silhouette in March. We have the choice of our cabin being on the port or starboard side at the aft of the ship. Should it matter to me which side we are on? We will be in an S1 Sky Suite. Clearly, we will have a mainly aft view but the balcony does afford a view of the side of the ship as well. Happy Cruising!

We will be on the Silhouette in March. We have the choice of our cabin being on the port or starboard side at the aft of the ship. Should it matter to me which side we are on? We will be in an S1 Sky Suite. Clearly, we will have a mainly aft view but the balcony does afford a view of the side of the ship as well. Happy Cruising!

Smoking areas are on the port side and depending on the winds, that smoke can reach your port side balcony...depending of course how close you are to those smoking areas.

I think it matters on some itineraries, such as Alaska, when the scenery would be on the starboard side going north and the port side going south.

Generally, in the Caribbean, which side faces the port when the ship docks is often random. (Sometimes the captain backs in, and sometimes he pulls straight in, depending on wind/ocean currents and other ships in the port at the time). In these cases, it really doesn't matter.

REALLY?! I had no idea. That's terrific.

I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing, but it is always a good idea to learn as much as you can about the cruise line you will be on. Each line has it's unique amenities and atmosphere. Fortunately for you it appears you don't smoke. What a disappointment to you if you did smoke, however. Celebrity's smoking policy, the strictest in the cruise industry, has been much publicized. Celebrity was the first line to ban smoking anywhere inside their ships. Many of us favor Celebrity because of this policy.

If someone is used to the casual atmosphere on NCL, they won't find the same on Celebrity. If someone is used to the poolside activities of Carnival, they won't find the same on Celebrity. If someone is used to the quieter, more relaxed atmosphere on Celebrity, they won't find the same on Royal Caribbean.

It's important to take a close look to make sure the cruise line you are booking with is a good fit for your cruising style. It would be a shame to spend all that money only to find it isn't the right cruise line for you.

Although smoking is not permitted on the balconies, some people insist on ignoring the rules - just call guest services and they'll usually take care of it. And that can happen on starboard as well as port. However smoking is allowed on the port side of the "promenade deck" (or what remains of it on the newer ships), on the pool deck, and the bar on the stern of the ship - so that smoke might drift to your balcony when you're in port.

Other than that, there are reasons to be on one side or the other in certain ports or when sailing (like getting the sun in the morning or afternoon). But you never know which way the ship will dock so that's kind of a toss up. If you're in port with another ship, you may not want to be facing the dock as you'll be staring right at that ship (and them at you). Can't predict that. Sorry if I confused you more.

j

It depends on how many times you have sailed. We always like the starboard side because we are use to that side. When we walk out of our cabin we are ise to having the front of the ship to our right. There have been a few times that we took the port side and it just seemed backwards. We would leave out cabin and end up going the wrong way. It was the same when walking from the stairs, we would always turn toward the wrong hallway. Not a biggy because we would just laugh about it.

Never found that either side was better for being in port, sometimes you are next to the pier and other times you aren't. There is nothing set in stone.

If you are sensitive to cigarette smoke, and have a balcony, you should be aware that typically the outside deck on the port side is designated as smoking area. So if you have a port balcony, depending on the ships attitude and the prevailing winds, it is possible that you could smell smoke on your balcony, while the smokers are withing their rights. This might not be a big issue, but you should be aware of it.

I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing, but it is always a good idea to learn as much as you can about the cruise line you will be on. Each line has it's unique amenities and atmosphere. Fortunately for you it appears you don't smoke. What a disappointment to you if you did smoke, however. Celebrity's smoking policy, the strictest in the cruise industry, has been much publicized. Celebrity was the first line to ban smoking anywhere inside their ships. Many of us favor Celebrity because of this policy.

If someone is used to the casual atmosphere on NCL, they won't find the same on Celebrity. If someone is used to the poolside activities of Carnival, they won't find the same on Celebrity. If someone is used to the quieter, more relaxed atmosphere on Celebrity, they won't find the same on Royal Caribbean.

It's important to take a close look to make sure the cruise line you are booking with is a good fit for your cruising style. It would be a shame to spend all that money only to find it isn't the right cruise line for you.

Oh believe me. I'm quite the researcher. Smoking is not a huge concern for me, as I used to smoke myself, so I never bothered with that bit of information. If I were still a smoker, I can bet that my choice in cruise lines would depend on the smoking policy.

...And, isn't that the purpose of these boards? To ask questions? I AM "trying to find out as much as I can about the cruise line I'm going to be on". That's why I'm here, asking questions. LOL

Our next cruise will mostly be Central America so we got a room on port side. However, getting a hump balcony that accomadted four was a bigger priority. If they were only available on starboard, that's where we would be.

This is cruise #6 and it's the first time it mattered from a scenery standpoint.

I like the starboard side and so far I have been very lucky with that. Like having the Topkapi, Sophia Hagia and Blue Mosque view in Istanbul.:D

If ship faces the other way i.e. with its right side touching the Quay, then you can watch all the activities on the dock.

We have stayed quite a few times in those corner aft S1s. Either side is great and we have never had the slightest bit of smoke come back there.

Have fun!!!!!

In the Caribbean, really no difference on side. You never know how the captain is going to come in.

We had a starboard cabin midship on our last cruise. I have a nose like a bloodhound. At times when I was out on the balcony I could smell cigarette smoke. It seemed to coming from a balcony above us but you can never be sure which one. I was disapointed that someone could break rules without a care for other people.

We seem to always book a starboard cabin. Our last cruise we seemed to face out from the dock everytime. That meant we couldn't watch all the late comers running to the ship. Our previous cruise we faced to the dock all but one time. This was Istanbul and it gave us the best view of the city. The sunshine and sunset over the city was magnificent.

I think it matters on some itineraries, such as Alaska, when the scenery would be on the starboard side going north and the port side going south.
Also on transatlantic cruises. Which side you choose will determine how much sun your balcony will get.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived