Separate Bag for Medical Supplies

gubby

I read a couple of times that all airlines worldwide allow a second small carryon if ALL it contains is medicine and supplies. Apparently it is ALWAYS searched to be sure that the contents comply with the rules.

My question is does the medicine have to be prescription only? Can OTC medicines be included? If OTCs can be included must they follow the TSA rules of only 3 ounce containers. I am thinking cough medicines. Do antibiotic creams for various itches fall within the guidelines.

We will be in Europe for 2 months this fall ( found an amazing deal on a Med cruise after our first Med cruise ends ) and I want to be prepared for colds and coughs without the hassle of looking in pharmacies when we don't speak the language.

Both DH and I are seniors and I am a Type 2 diabetic, so we do have a number of prescription medications. I am just wondering if we would be able to pack other supplies that are medically related but not prescription drugs. Thank you for your help.

I suggest that you contact each airline that you will be using for their policies. We keep all our meds in our carry-on bags and have had no trouble carrying everything including over-the counter supplies. We take small amounts of pain, "cold" , and allergy medicines in tablet form. An important thing to do is to take a list of the chemical name of your over-the-counter meds so that if you need something a pharmacist in any country can provide it ex "Tylenol" is referred to as "Paracetamol" in the UK , it's chemical name is Acetaminophen.

Just take a small amount of cold medication and cough drops--enough to last a couple of days. Pharmacies are all over Europe, generally denoted with a green cross outside, and it's been our experience that most of them have one pharmacist who speaks enough English to communicate your needs and get a suitable remedy. We were able to get a nasal spray and cough syrup for my husband at a pharmacy in Croatia. We had to wait an extra couple of minutes until the pharmacist who spoke a little English was finished with the customer she was assisting when we walked in.

The ship will also sell a small number of items in the shop.

There is zero reason to haul a suitcase of medications, "just in case."

the liquids, if carry on need to comply with the 3 oz for over the counter. Pack this in your luggage, if larger. There are also plenty of pharmacies all over Europe.

I agree with the advice from Budget Queen.

I would take your prescription medicines in your had carriage. It can be mixed with your normal carry on and put the rest in checked luggage.

We take some very long cruises and we put all of our over the counter items in our checked luggage (and trust me it is a lot because we are away for several months). Never had a problem. Liquids we place in a zip lock bag and then put them in two other bags.

Keith

The exemption for an extra carry on bag or checked bag (at no charge) for medical equipment and supplies is at this time limited to US airlines. I see that the person who asked this question is Canadian. Verify what the rules are for Canadian flights.

The if a carry on the bag has to fit either under the seat in front or you or in an overhead bin. Yes, it can contain over the counter meds but they must meet the 3,1,1 TSA restrictions if they are liquids.

Please verify that over the counter meds are allowed in the countries where you will be traveling. For example Sudafed can get you in a lot of trouble in many countries.

Your medical needs bag may contain something like a CPAC machine as well as diabetic supplies and things like bandages, but you dare not put an item of clothing, a book or anything non-medical into it or the entire bag will loose the exemption.

Read the WEB sites for the airlines you will be flying.

As so well outlined in the posts above, pharmacies in Europe have everything and even more than you can get in the USA. Some products are superior to what we can buy in the USA.

The exemption for an extra carry on bag or checked bag (at no charge) for medical equipment and supplies is at this time limited to US airlines. I see that the person who asked this question is Canadian. Verify what the rules are for Canadian flights.

Read the WEB sites for the airlines you will be flying.

As PennyAgain said please check with your airlines. The "free medical bag" is directly related to the AMERICANS with Disabilities Act. Not the world, just an American law. I know that Air Canada did not allow me the extra bag for my CPAP. I was told to put it in my carry on if I didn't want to pack it but I would not be allowed an additional bag.

Please check with your airlines and get it in writing. It would be horrible to get to the airport with your extra bag only to find out you couldn't take it and have to stuff everything into your checked or carry on (assuming there was room) leaving you with an empty suitcase to throw out. I know that British Airways made a notation in my file.

The 3-1-1 "kippie bag" and medical bags have nothing to do with your airline. The policy for it comes from the individual "security" agencies tasked with checking what is carried on the airlines. For the US, unfortunately, it's the dog-and-pony show known as TSA. At some airports, like SFO, they have dumped TSA and put in place private security firms, but those firms must abide by the rules set by TSA. For Canada-based airports, it's the CATSA, I believe.

Most of the other countries do not force passengers to do dumb things like take off shoes, pull out those bags, pull out laptops, etc....

Thanks for all the replies. What I was trying to do was save space in my carryon and pack medical supplies in another bag. I realize that it would have to fit under the seat but wasn't sure about the type of medicines or supplies it could carry, hence the question about OTC drugs. I am not attempting to bring extra, just trying to save room in a carryon that fits airline regulations. I will not have a purse, put my e-reader into my carryon and try to comply to all rules.

We will fly from Toronto to Paris, on to Barcelona, then to Rome and finally from Barcelona back to Toronto. No TSA but the equivalent agencies and flights are on KLM. Except Paris to BCN which is on Easyjet. If I am understanding correctly, you think I should call both airlines and ask for a written statement. I have been in many European pharmacies , but because my only other language is French, ( and that is not fluent),I was trying to avoid the wait, broken language and misunderstanding that can involve. I am counting on not needing any new medications and the need to perfectly understand the consequences of taking something that may interfere with one of my prescription drugs. I have looked at the KLM website but found nothing regarding a medical supplies bag. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place.

Where would I find the regulations as to banned OTC meds? Sudafed WAS one of the OTC's I was planning on taking. There is plenty of info on the internet but sorting through it and relying on what one reads are sometimes difficult.

Off the KLM website:

Other medical matters

You may bring certain pieces of medical equipment or aidswith you on board provided that such an item can be stowed under a seat or strapped to an adjoining seat. 12-volt or

115-volt electrical power can be supplied for the in-flight operation of medical equipment (European connection/American connection). To receive this, you willneed to request and complete a Medical Information Form that should list supplementary technical information about your piece of equipment. You should also know that the cabin crew will be unable to assist you in the use of your equipment.

Due to aircraft safety regulations, we cannot guarantee a continuous supply of electrical power. For this reason,we advise you to bring along a sufficient supply of dry-cell or gel-cell batteries as backup. These batteries, too should be stowed beneath your seat. In addition, electrical power aboard the aircraft is subject to fluctuations during connecting and disconnecting from ground power. If you are planning to make use of electrical equipment on board, we will have to know about this in advance due to safety regulations. We are thus requesting that you inform us of this at least 48 hours before departure by calling 0800

KLMCARES. Other medical equipment that you do not need during the flight can be brought on board as hand luggage as long as it meets the hand luggage requirements. If it is too

heavy or too large, you will be charged the usual fare for an extra seat.

Your hand baggage, including accessories, may not exceed 12 kg (26 lbs).

1 of the following: handbag, briefcase, camera, small laptop, or 1 other item of similar or smaller size

So for them, it looks like any medical goes in your regular carry on.

And for EasyJet

To keep our fares low, be able to board the plane as quickly as possible and ensure your comfort onboard, if you bring more than one piece of hand baggage we’ll check the extra into the hold. We’ll need to charge you for this – at the airport this fee is £25 due to higher handling costs at the airport if you don't buy the bag online and at the boarding gate this increases to £40 to ensure that we can bring you to your destination on time.

No mention of medical bag as a free extra.

Notentirelynormal did a superb job on the hand luggage issues. Thank you! On OTC drugs I would begin with an online search (Google, Bing etc) such as

Can I take Sudafed to Spain? You might need to write out the generic name.

Good luck in your travels

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks again for the info. I looked up KLM and Easyjet immediately after posting yesterday. While I did find references to some medical issues, I certainly did not find what you did. I am so thankful that our health issues are such small ones, I cannot imagine how hard it would be to travel if one was facing huge health problems. As I often say to friends, the time to travel is early in one's life while you are healthy. It becomes almost impossible when health starts to fail. I may have to use a large purse to fit in some of the medications.

KLM is nowadays rather strict with handluggage. In general you can bring 1 item and a small handbag or accessory. Total weight no more then 12 kgs. and also no larger then ttl. 115 cm. (46 inch?)

If you have medicines you need during or right after the flight they can and will put a note on that in your reservation upon your request. Medicines that arenot needed right away should be packed in your suitcase.

And for EasyJet

To keep our fares low, be able to board the plane as quickly as possible and ensure your comfort onboard, if you bring more than one piece of hand baggage we’ll check the extra into the hold. We’ll need to charge you for this – at the airport this fee is £25 due to higher handling costs at the airport if you don't buy the bag online and at the boarding gate this increases to £40 to ensure that we can bring you to your destination on time.

No mention of medical bag as a free extra.

Easyjet is very strict, 1 item as handluggage, absolutely only 1 p.p. Also no larger then 56x45x25 incl. wheels. But in case the flight is full trolleys larger then 50x40x20 incl. wheels will be only accepted as checked in luggage. More details here:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage

Also print your boardingcards at home or before going to the airport.

Easyjet is very strict, 1 item as handluggage, absolutely only 1 p.p. Also no larger then 56x45x25 incl. wheels. But in case the flight is full trolleys larger then 50x40x20 incl. wheels will be only accepted as checked in luggage. More details here:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage

Also print your boardingcards at home or before going to the airport.

I can confirm this, the same with Flybe as well, in my experience. There are NO exceptions, which the US is plagued with. :) Everyone seems to think the guidelines don't fully apply to you, but get with some non US airlines- it can be a very rude awakening. :)

I can confirm this, the same with Flybe as well, in my experience. There are NO exceptions, which the US is plagued with. :) Everyone seems to think the guidelines don't fully apply to you, but get with some non US airlines- it can be a very rude awakening. :)

Kinda fun to watch everyone try to stuff that oversized purse into their already overstuffed carryon at the EasyJet counter:D One piece means ONE PIECE, not one plus one with them!

Kinda fun to watch everyone try to stuff that oversized purse into their already overstuffed carryon at the EasyJet counter:D One piece means ONE PIECE, not one plus one with them!

I also like the arguments they claim for "exceptions" just for them. :) Doesn't work.

If you are packing a bunch of "just in case" OTC meds I would just plan on stashing those in your checked luggage. The general rule is to bring on board any meds that if you were separated from your luggage for an extended period of time would mean you would be in medical duress. I have a stash of several "just in case" meds in small quantities (Nyquil Caps, Dayquil caps, Imodium, etc) but I don't bring them in my carryon. If indeed I do get sick and need a large supply of a certain medication you can always just pop into any American Hotel (Marriott, Hilton, Ritz, Four Seasons) and speak to the concierge. They will have someone who speaks the local language and English. Have them write down the local name of the drug you are seeking and then bring that piece of paper to the pharmacy.

If you were traveling to the African Bush then maybe bringing an arsenal of meds is needed, but not to Europe.

I carry small quanitites of OTC drugs in my small purse (which can fit into a carry on if needs be). Some things like Imodium are not useful if in your checked luggage.

I would never, ever advise anyone to put Rx drugs into checked baggage. Period.

My carry on bag does not have wheels nor a heavy frame. It looks small as it is small. My purse is flexible as well. Everything including my medical needs bag can fit into my carry on bag.

I fly a lot and have learned to cope through hard experience.

I do not travel with Sudafed as many countries have banned it 100%. The last I had of Sudafed was seized when I landed in Japan on one trip. That and a stiff lecture. No fine.

I had Sudafed politely confiscated by Customs in Japan many years ago; they are used to Americans carrying it without realizing it's prohibited. A relative there is a veterinarian, so has medical and drug knowledge. He was very surprised the ingredient is available OTC in other countries. As you know, Sudafed (and many other OTC drugs) can be concentrated to make meth...a few states don't allow OTC purchase while others require ID and restrict the amount per purchase.

A year or two back, someone posted here who had booked a family cruise that started in one of the Emirates. Their young daughter had a medical condition requiring a tightly controlled drug here which was strictly prohibited there (Dubai, IIRC). Their travel agent didn't check...we never heard the outcome but there was no way they could do the trip and it was shortly before their travel date.

One of my co-workers says she lost her Sudafed when arriving in Austria. Called aside, delayed, given stern lecture and allowed to go on without a fine. No idea where she was arriving from.

I'm sure that we could get a list of countries where it is absolutely forbidden but Google and Bing are very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
I read a couple of times that all airlines worldwide allow a second small carryon if ALL it contains is medicine and supplies. Apparently it is ALWAYS searched to be sure that the contents comply with the rules.

My question is does the medicine have to be prescription only? Can OTC medicines be included? If OTCs can be included must they follow the TSA rules of only 3 ounce containers. I am thinking cough medicines. Do antibiotic creams for various itches fall within the guidelines.

We will be in Europe for 2 months this fall ( found an amazing deal on a Med cruise after our first Med cruise ends ) and I want to be prepared for colds and coughs without the hassle of looking in pharmacies when we don't speak the language.

Both DH and I are seniors and I am a Type 2 diabetic, so we do have a number of prescription medications. I am just wondering if we would be able to pack other supplies that are medically related but not prescription drugs. Thank you for your help.

You have been given a lot of great advice. Key is to stay within the limits on hand luggage and understand that local rules always apply.

My best advice is to

1) pack the "just in case" in your checked luggage and leave the Sudafed home.

2) check in with your doctor NLT a month before leaving to make sure that you have all the meds/scripts and a letter stating what you are on. Especially if your diabetes requires the occasional use of insulin, security is not going to be happy with needles/syringes/blood testing syrettes carried onto the plan without a reason. You also need to be up to date on your immunizations (yes, that pesky tetanus, also HepA and B are a good idea for everyone unless you never, ever eat local food or respond to someone else bleeding....)

3) spend sometime now with Bablefish or one of the other translation programs and look up your OTC meds by the generic name so that you have the alternative in French/Spanish/Italian/Whatever in case you need it.

4) Make sure that you have health insurance for your trip that includes evacuation home. As Canadians, I know that you are aware of the issue, but you would be amazed at how many US seniors travel and don't realize their Medicaid/Medicare provides zero coverage out side the US.

Have a great time on your trip!

-Holly

Thanks for all the help that I found here posted by you wonderful frequent fliers. I agree that many US carriers allow way too much carryon luggage to the detriment of those who board later. It s good to see that the overseas carriers do not. I have decided that I can pack my prescription meds in my carryon ( or in DH's )and the OTC (minus the Sudafed) will be in checked baggage. I lived in Europe in the 80's so I am aware of their great pharmacy system. I had some leftover OTC and was thinking of taking it just in case. No need to do that and I thank you for clearing my mind.

gubby, sounds like a very good decision!

Good luck in your travels!

As a update to medical supplies flying for free as checked baggage: I've been checking on this as I travel. The general answer is that some airlines do not give a free checked bag for medical supplies but one or 2 in the USA do. This benefit was abused by some people so on most airlines the benefit is gone.

In any case it is best to keep needed medical supplies with you as carry on.

Archived