Celebrity Ship fire

startwin

I wouldn't read it while on board. When sailing I always put books on my Kindle that take place on ships. One book was about a group overtaking the ship with help from the crew. I knew it was fiction but I still looked at everyone suspiciously. :D

Yes it might impact your enjoyment of the cruise. I guarantee you would take the safety drills more seriously ;)

Just heard

The Millenium started to have engine problems last night as she was heading to Icy Straight.

They are limping back to Ketchikan.

I'm sorry to read about the Millenium, on which I cruised several years ago.

It is the first build & oldest X ship of the 'M Class' so I don't wonder that it is experiencing mechanical issues!

The "M" class has been plagued by propulsion problems from the start. I sailed on Summit right after its propulsion system was "fixed". I've also sailed on Millenium. I like these ships very much, but the propulsion system problems are more or less chronic.

I'm keeping a wary eye on it, since we're scheduled to cruise on the Millennium's 9-Night Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise that leaves Vancouver on September 13th. I have time, but my neighbors are scheduled to fly to Anchorage on Thursday morning for this Friday's cruise!:(

The "M" class has been plagued by propulsion problems from the start. I sailed on Summit right after its propulsion system was "fixed". I've also sailed on Millenium. I like these ships very much, but the propulsion system problems are more or less chronic.

Are these the ones which have the gas turbines instead of traditional engines?

I'm keeping a wary eye on it, since we're scheduled to cruise on the Millennium's 9-Night Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise that leaves Vancouver on September 13th. I have time, but my neighbors are scheduled to fly to Anchorage on Thursday morning for this Friday's cruise!:(

I sure hope that the problems will be fixed soon and for good.

Wish you all luck.

Since any fire is so dangerous, I never could understand how they could allow smoking.

I heard from someone at work who knows the sister of one of the port pilots who heard that someone was using an e-cig on their balcony when a seagull grabbed it and dropped it through the engine room air jalousie where it fell and shorted out a couple of 110v (220v whatever it takes) lines.

I heard from someone at work who knows the sister of one of the port pilots who heard that someone was using an e-cig on their balcony when a seagull grabbed it and dropped it through the engine room air jalousie where it fell and shorted out a couple of 110v (220v whatever it takes) lines.

What are the odds? That bird could have a future in basketball or in the circus.

Yo -- I want to meet that Seagull!!

Best post of the day, imho!!!!!

Originally Posted by Celebrity Cruises viewpost.gif

Hi all,

We have important news for guests who are booked to sail on upcoming cruises on Celebrity Millennium. Please read this update.

A mechanical issue has made it necessary for us to perform unscheduled repairs on Celebrity Millennium. As a result, we are sorry to inform guests that we have had to cancel the following sailings:

• August 23, 2013 – cancelled

• August 30, 2013 – cancelled

• September 6, 2013 – cancelled

• September 13, 2013 – cancelled

We are deeply sorry for this unexpected and disappointing development in our guests’ upcoming vacation.

If you are booked on one of the cancelled sailings, Celebrity Cruises will provide you with a full, 100% refund. For your convenience, all monies paid will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment within the next three weeks. Celebrity Cruises will also provide you with a future cruise certificate. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Cruises.

Guests booked on the August 23 sailing may call 1-888-829-4050 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48846.

Guests booked on the August 30, September 6 and September 13 sailing may call 1-888-281-9343 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48155.

Please accept our sincere apology for your inconvenience. We hope to welcome you aboard soon.

Originally Posted by Celebrity Cruises viewpost.gif

Hi all,

We have important news for guests who are booked to sail on upcoming cruises on Celebrity Millennium. Please read this update.

A mechanical issue has made it necessary for us to perform unscheduled repairs on Celebrity Millennium. As a result, we are sorry to inform guests that we have had to cancel the following sailings:

• August 23, 2013 – cancelled

• August 30, 2013 – cancelled

• September 6, 2013 – cancelled

• September 13, 2013 – cancelled

We are deeply sorry for this unexpected and disappointing development in our guests’ upcoming vacation.

If you are booked on one of the cancelled sailings, Celebrity Cruises will provide you with a full, 100% refund. For your convenience, all monies paid will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment within the next three weeks. Celebrity Cruises will also provide you with a future cruise certificate. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Cruises.

Guests booked on the August 23 sailing may call 1-888-829-4050 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48846.

Guests booked on the August 30, September 6 and September 13 sailing may call 1-888-281-9343 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48155.

Please accept our sincere apology for your inconvenience. We hope to welcome you aboard soon.

Generous for sure but still if one has non refundable plane tickets and accommodations they could still be out $.

Generous for sure but still if one has non refundable plane tickets and accommodations they could still be out $.

Our favorite morning radio duo, Perry and Price, were going to be on this sailing with a TON of people from Hawaii to celebrate their 30th anniversary on the radio. The cruise certificate is great, but I was wondering about the air also. This far out, EVERYONE has their air already. Would this be something for insurance to take care of? Stinks if you don't have insurance.

Our favorite morning radio duo, Perry and Price, were going to be on this sailing with a TON of people from Hawaii to celebrate their 30th anniversary on the radio. The cruise certificate is great, but I was wondering about the air also. This far out, EVERYONE has their air already. Would this be something for insurance to take care of? Stinks if you don't have insurance.

I'm so sorry to hear that. What a shame especially with a special cruise like that. I'm sure they had activities planned etc. I wonder if they'll try for a redo?

That is so sad for the radio station and all their followers.

It all depends on what type of insurance people bought if they will get air fare back.

And some people don't even buy insurance -- they are really out of luck.

That is so sad for the radio station and all their followers.

It all depends on what type of insurance people bought if they will get air fare back.

And some people don't even buy insurance -- they are really out of luck.

I've never understood why people don't buy insurance. I've heard of times when it was invaluable for some people and the opposite where people went through horrors without it. I think it's a good investment.

I've never understood why people don't buy insurance. I've heard of times when it was invaluable for some people and the opposite where people went through horrors without it. I think it's a good investment.

Until I took my first cruise and accidentally discovered this board, I didn't even KNOW you could get travel insurance.

When we were young and healthy -- no family left -- we didn't bother to get insurance either.

Now -- we always get it.

Actually, HAL will help you with that in some circumstances. We are on the Prinsendam sailing from Athens on the 20th of October (originally the 14th). HAL compensated us for the difference in price of the shorter cruise, plus a future cruise credit. They also sent us a form from Passenger Relations where they would compensate us up to $500. each in increased airline costs to cancel or change our flights. All we had to do was show them what the costs were. If the costs were more than $500. each they would be handled on a case by case basis. In our case, we decided to just keep our original flight and enjoy a week in Athens pre-cruise.

Archived