Celebrity Ship fire

startwin

Just heard on our local Vancouver news, one of the Celebrity ships had an electrical fire onboard and made none of the scheduled stops in Alaska. Passengers interviewed were all happy with the compensation received - full refund and 50% off their next cruise. Still, glad all worked out OK - fires onboard are so scarey.

Just heard on our local Vancouver news, one of the Celebrity ships had an electrical fire onboard and made none of the scheduled stops in Alaska. Passengers interviewed were all happy with the compensation received - full refund and 50% off their next cruise. Still, glad all worked out OK - fires onboard are so scarey.

Could they be talking about the Celebrity Millennium?

She suffered mechanical problems a week ago and remained in Seward for most of the week for repairs before heading straight back to Vancouver with a scheduled arrival of this morning.

Could they be talking about the Celebrity Millennium?

She suffered mechanical problems a week ago and remained in Seward for most of the week for repairs before heading straight back to Vancouver with a scheduled arrival of this morning.

I think this is correct. I've seen nothing about any current fire, and Millennium just arrived in Vancouver today.

Yes fire on a ship is very scary, sounds like no injuries? Go read Burning Cold if you want to see how bad a fire can be, it was the original Prinsendam which caught fire in 1980 in the Gulf of Alaska. Amazingly no one died and there were only a handful of injuries and everyone had to abandon ship :eek:.

I'm not sure it was caused by a fire, but there are threads on both the Celebrity and Alaska Boards. The ship stayed a few days in Seward for repairs and then sailed to Vancouver. Those who remained on the ship were given a full refund plus a free cruise. Those who left and flew home form Anchorage received a refund and 50% off the next cruise. No services on the ship were affected.

Bottom line: you get to spend a few days exploring a wonderful area while having free hotel service and meals provided, then spend a few days sailing to Vancouver, and then get to take a later cruise for free.

They had problems that required some parts to be sent in. They had to wait two days for the parts and two days for installation, then sailed straight to Vancouver. The problem (fire was never mentioned in any of those threads or by Celebrity so it appears to be component failure not a fire) occured prior to the cruises departure. Thus the use of the ship as a floating hotel while waiting for the parts and the repair.

I'm not sure it was caused by a fire, but there are threads on both the Celebrity and Alaska Boards. The ship stayed a few days in Seward for repairs and then sailed to Vancouver. Those who remained on the ship were given a full refund plus a free cruise. Those who left and flew home form Anchorage received a refund and 50% off the next cruise. No services on the ship were affected.

No fire - engine problems - see CC new story from Aug. 13.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5481

Celebrity did a great job of taking care of passengers on board. Compare what Celebrity did to what HAL is planning to do for passengers on cruises displaced by upcoming Prinsendam repairs.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5488

I have friends who flew from Texas Today.

They knew about the fire a few days ago.

They were informed the ship is in working order -- and their cruise is schedule to leave on time today -- October 16.

They flew from Texas yesterday and did not receive any e-mails about their cruise being cancelled.

I checked me PM's from the other site -- no mention there about their cruise being cancelled or delayed.

I have friends who flew from Texas Today.

They knew about the fire a few days ago.

They were informed the ship is in working order -- and their cruise is schedule to leave on time today -- October 16.

They flew from Texas yesterday and did not receive any e-mails about their cruise being cancelled.

I checked me PM's from the other site -- no mention there about their cruise being cancelled or delayed.

Huh? :confused:

Flew from Texas yesterday? Today?

October 16?

Can we safely assume you mean August? :)

They had problems that required some parts to be sent in. They had to wait two days for the parts and two days for installation, then sailed straight to Vancouver. The problem (fire was never mentioned in any of those threads or by Celebrity so it appears to be component failure not a fire) occured prior to the cruises departure. Thus the use of the ship as a floating hotel while waiting for the parts and the repair.

Celebrity did a great job of taking care of passengers on board. Compare what Celebrity did to what HAL is planning to do for passengers on cruises displaced by upcoming Prinsendam repairs.

Thank you both for giving us the true story and the links. These make more sense than a fire a week ago on another cruise ship and no media reporting of it.

So glad the Passengers were treated so well:)

Joanie

Way to go X! We would love to do X, but the dates just do not work for us ( unless we want to go to columbia & panama)...

Looks like they are really taking care of pax!

Archived