Do Celebrity Care – NO!

BJC

Sorry for the OP problems and issues they experienced on their cruise and felt that Celebrity had not addressed them.

I had the opposite experience. Now, I wonder whether or not this was due to it being my first cruise will Celebrity. They could not bend over backwards enough. I resolved all of my issues on board the ship.

Had booked an inside room and there was constant banging next door. Now I don't know whether it was a storage cupboard and the carts weren't secured properly or a crew area behind the wall. Celebrity moved us to an oceanview room and gave us strawberries and a bottle of wine. We were happy with that resolution. Just the being moved was enough. However, we got a little surprise a couple days from the end of the cruise (did a TA on Equinox). They both gave us, my friend and I a FCC certificate to the value of $250 to use on our next Celebrity cruise.

We had one major complaint on our last 14 day cruise, (our 10th with X) that was not resolved on board. We did not let it ruin our cruise but waited until we returned home to email Celebrity. After several phone calls and emails we were put in touch with customer service at Steiner and our complaint was resolved by Steiner to our complete satisfaction. I venture a guess that if we had had numerous, and somewhat minor, complaints we would not have had a favorable outcome.

Mary Lou

A company hyping up their product in their PR campaign? Unbelievable!

We don't believe the hype, have been cruising for years. We are elite on Celebrity, elite on Princess, cruise HAL, Cunard, NCL... by comparison Celebrity seems to over do it. This can lead to unrealistic expectations.

As someone that deals with public concerns for a living, I can see why the OPs letters where ignored. If they were written in the same style as their review or their post in this thread then I would consider not replying and allowing her to move on to another cruise line as well. The correspondence are much more of a rant and rave then they are a respectful complaint.

There is an appropriate way to complain about goods or services and there is an appropriate way to inform others of the problem, the OP has not come even remotely close to conducting themselves appropriately.

Some people complain in order to hear themselves and some people complain in order to get a resolution, the OP clearly is not looking for a resolution but just wants someone to listen to their little rant.

Regardless of the above, some of the complaints were unbelievably tedious and someone that is this critical of every little thing will never be happy. For this reason, someone in my position often does not even try because nothing we can do will ever be enough. Sometimes it's better to let them go and concentrate on the customers that are reasonable.

There is a reality to customer service, and that is; "It's impossible make all of the people happy all of the time". So you focus on the people that you CAN make happy and hope that the others find a different brand that suites them better.

If you don't like Walmart, shop at Macy's, if you don't like Macy's shop at Nordstrom.... But don't expect Walmart to treat you like Nordstrom!!

(Sorry, I'm not comparing Celebrity to Walmart, but you get my point)

Thank you all for your responses, and in conclusion I would like to make it quite clear, firstly I am not seeking any refund as I believe we did get value for our money on this cruise, and I do not want a discount and or a free cruise.

Secondly in my letter to Celebrity I made it clear that I passed on my concerns in a hope that they may take them on board, as I indicated we have been on a number of cruises with them and Azamara and have found them, in the past, to be 5 star, however these last two cruises we have noticed a marked drop in their previous standards and all I wanted to do was to make them aware of this.

And yes, the extract from my letter posted as a cruise review was done while very angry and in hindsight probably should have been done better, however I was so disappointed with Celebrity for not responding, and yes I did request them to do so.

I did talk to the staff on board during the cruise and expressed my concerns, and while polite in their response nothing changed mainly because it appears to be a shift in the corporate direction for Celebrity, which the on board staff have no control over.

Finally I thank CC for providing all cruisers the opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings about their cruise experiences, despite what a lot of others might think and say about them, what did Voltaire say “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.”

There are two of the OP's points that I can agree with, and posted the same after my three previous Celebrity cruises. The first is that the buffet food doesn't change much at all, and when you're on a longer cruise, it does get boring. Celebrity needs to put more effort into providing different food choices in the buffet, not necessarily for breakfast, but certainly for lunch.

The second notion I agree with is the daily activities. The OP is most definitely correct in saying that as of late, a very large number of the activities listed in the daily are extra cost activities that revolve around the spa, on board shops, art auctions and wine tastings. Plus, passengers seem to be inundated on a daily basis with little notes and flyers about these extra cost activities.

Do these problems ruin our cruise? No, but they are all a part of either cost cutting or things to increase revenue, which I guess every line does in order to keep fares insanely low.

I decided to read BJC's previous review, a 2011 Century review which he gave 2 stars.

It's pretty much a universal pan with not a single category given more then a 3.

My question is why would you cruise Celebrity again, within 9 months, if you were so recently disappointed.

As you previously quoted Voltaire, I respect your right to your own opinion but I don't understand coming back for more disappointment.

I look forward to you reporting back from a cruise that meets your exacting standards. Good luck.

Thank you all for your responses, and in conclusion I would like to make it quite clear, firstly I am not seeking any refund as I believe we did get value for our money on this cruise, and I do not want a discount and or a free cruise.

Secondly in my letter to Celebrity I made it clear that I passed on my concerns in a hope that they may take them on board, as I indicated we have been on a number of cruises with them and Azamara and have found them, in the past, to be 5 star, however these last two cruises we have noticed a marked drop in their previous standards and all I wanted to do was to make them aware of this.

And yes, the extract from my letter posted as a cruise review was done while very angry and in hindsight probably should have been done better, however I was so disappointed with Celebrity for not responding, and yes I did request them to do so.

I did talk to the staff on board during the cruise and expressed my concerns, and while polite in their response nothing changed mainly because it appears to be a shift in the corporate direction for Celebrity, which the on board staff have no control over.

Finally I thank CC for providing all cruisers the opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings about their cruise experiences, despite what a lot of others might think and say about them, what did Voltaire say “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.”

In your review you rated the value of the cruise a 1. Is it fair to people who may be reading your review as part of a their decision making process if you posted this review because you were annoyed and over exaggerated your feelings? Perhaps you would like to ask the moderators to remove your review.

There are two of the OP's points that I can agree with, and posted the same after my three previous Celebrity cruises. The first is that the buffet food doesn't change much at all, and when you're on a longer cruise, it does get boring. Celebrity needs to put more effort into providing different food choices in the buffet, not necessarily for breakfast, but certainly for lunch.

The second notion I agree with is the daily activities. The OP is most definitely correct in saying that as of late, a very large number of the activities listed in the daily are extra cost activities that revolve around the spa, on board shops, art auctions and wine tastings. Plus, passengers seem to be inundated on a daily basis with little notes and flyers about these extra cost activities.

Do these problems ruin our cruise? No, but they are all a part of either cost cutting or things to increase revenue, which I guess every line does in order to keep fares insanely low.

Darcie I agree with you about the buffet at lunch time and I have written to Celebrity to voice my concerns over this matter. Maybe they are trying to push people into going to Bistro on 5 or sometimes one of the Specialty Restaurants will have lunch for $25 on a sea day.

Also agree that activities on my last 2 cruises were disappointing.

I hope Celebrity takes these concerns seriously and tries to improve these areas. I would hate to have to try and find a new cruise line.

To the OP, yes Celebrity stopped putting flowers on the tables in the MDR at least a year or two ago.

The review you have written could have been my 2011 Summit cruise. If we had never sailed Celebrity before we might have not gone back. My DH sent at least 3 entrees back on different evenings in the MDR. One night almost everyone at the table got the pork chop and none of us could eat it. When the maitre d came by and asked if there was something wrong we told him the meat was tough and inedible. He just shrugged his shoulders.

I am so sorry you had such a bad cruise experience and also that Celebrity has not responded to your letters and e-mails.

You beat me to it!! I was just thinking that could have been my 2012 Summit cruise! I did fill out the questionaire at the end of the cruise and two weeks later I got a call from a customer service rep. She did say that there were many complaints from that ship experience. My first, and last Celebrity cruise.

You beat me to it!! I was just thinking that could have been my 2012 Summit cruise! I did fill out the questionaire at the end of the cruise and two weeks later I got a call from a customer service rep. She did say that there were many complaints from that ship experience. My first, and last Celebrity cruise.

But you still read the Celebrity boards?

I hope Celebrity takes these concerns seriously and tries to improve these areas. I would hate to have to try and find a new cruise line.

I didn't realize that it was so hard "to try and find a new cruise line". ;)

Darcie I agree with you about the buffet at lunch time and I have written to Celebrity to voice my concerns over this matter. Maybe they are trying to push people into going to Bistro on 5 or sometimes one of the Specialty Restaurants will have lunch for $25 on a sea day.

13 years of only cruising Celebrity, wow! You will not like any of the other mass market lines in the same price point. We sailed the Ruby Princess last year, and it will be a very long time before I get my wife to sail them again.

After reading this thread I must admit to wondering about my decision to take a full transit Panama cruise on Celebrity next spring.I do realise that small things such as flowers on the table, afternoon tea and Baked Alaska are not of objective importance. However, my DH is physically challenged and has difficulty going on shore excursions so small niceties DO make a difference in his enjoyment of a cruise as he most often has to stay on board. Good speakers, attention to service at table,choice of menus in the MDR, a good room steward do affect his enjoyment.

We have cruised on both HAL & Princess lately, with HAL coming out slightly ahead because of the size of the staterooms (we cannot afford a balcony on HAL because we tend to take longer cruises ) , room service food available at all times....

We chose Celebrity because we were able to reserve a "sweet sixteen" cabin at a reasonable rate so that he can sit on the balcony while traversing the Panama Canal.Plus we received the 123 beverage package which will most certainly contribute to our enjoyment. But do you think we will enjoy the amenities, and especially the food? Please do not flame. Should we consider another line? This full transit is on his bucket list but as we are on a limited income we cannot consider the "premium" lines . HAL, Celebrity, Princess, RCI , Cunard (in outside but not balcony cabin) are the lines we can afford. Thank you for your advice.

13 years of only cruising Celebrity, wow! You will not like any of the other mass market lines in the same price point. We sailed the Ruby Princess last year, and it will be a very long time before I get my wife to sail them again.

We sailed Sapphire Princess--never again. . .

After reading this thread I must admit to wondering about my decision to take a full transit Panama cruise on Celebrity next spring.I do realise that small things such as flowers on the table, afternoon tea and Baked Alaska are not of objective importance. However, my DH is physically challenged and has difficulty going on shore excursions so small niceties DO make a difference in his enjoyment of a cruise as he most often has to stay on board. Good speakers, attention to service at table,choice of menus in the MDR, a good room steward do affect his enjoyment.

We have cruised on both HAL & Princess lately, with HAL coming out slightly ahead because of the size of the staterooms (we cannot afford a balcony on HAL because we tend to take longer cruises ) , room service food available at all times....

We chose Celebrity because we were able to reserve a "sweet sixteen" cabin at a reasonable rate so that he can sit on the balcony while traversing the Panama Canal.Plus we received the 123 beverage package which will most certainly contribute to our enjoyment. But do you think we will enjoy the amenities, and especially the food? Please do not flame. Should we consider another line? This full transit is on his bucket list but as we are on a limited income we cannot consider the "premium" lines . HAL, Celebrity, Princess, RCI , Cunard (in outside but not balcony cabin) are the lines we can afford. Thank you for your advice.

Please don't be concerned. I think you will be happy with your choice. Have a wonderful cruise!

I'm not going to doubt nor argue w/ the OP's perceptions of their cruise experience. I wasn't on the cruise with them.

2 Celebrity cruises ago, there were several situations that disappointed me, and the cruise wasn't really all that good, compared to many other cruises I've been on. Service issues, food issues and other just WEIRD stuff. (some of it still makes me shake my head in amazement). I wrote in detail some of my concerns on the end-of-cruise survey/comment card. I also mentioned that this seemed a one off to me as my other Celebrity cruises were nothing like this and I would continue to cruise with them.

I was not expecting nor wanting any follow up. No "compensation." No apologies were wanted or expected. I just thought the issues were somethings of which Celebrity should be aware. "Teaching moments" if you will.

A few weeks post cruise I was contacted by phone by a Celebrity rep. I was almost embarrassed that they called because it wasn't a rant or anything, just a brief but factual expression of my concerns. We had a lengthy conversation and as I related events the rep was aghast and eventually we both were in stitches laughing about it. At any rate, I had already booked another Celebrity cruise so it didn't turn me off of Celebrity. Even though they knew I wasn't giving up on the line, they offered both myself and my cruise mate a generous (I thought VERY generous) OBC for our troubles. I flat out told her I wasn't asking or expecting compensation and frankly I didn't think the issues warranted any. She still felt that she wanted to compensate us as a good will gesture, which I greatly appreciated.

SO, as opposed to several other posters' experiences, I found Celebrity to go over and above w/ their customer service. The phone call would have been adequate, andI didn't even expect that. But the genuine concern and consideration of my comments really surprised me. Like WOW they really read these and pay attention! I guess I just got lucky.

As a customer, you have a right to be dissatisfied. You found fault in almost all areas of the Hotel and Entertainment Departments. The food, service, staff, cruise director, entertainment, no flowers, no ice sculptures, no baked Alaska, shore excursion issues, etc, etc. I am surprised you didn't mention not getting to eat at the Captain's table. you must have been miserable on this cruise.

Did you speak directly to the Hotel Manager onboard? My experience on cruises is if you deal directly and promptly with a problem in a professional manner it will be rectified quickly to ones satisfaction.

Please, was there just one thing you enjoyed? You might consider an alternative vacation to cruising in the future.

Go with an open mind, look for the good not the bad things. You will see more good than bad. Don't spend time trying to compare to other cruise lines. They all offer some different and unique experiences. You will have a great trip. Going through the canal with a balcony is the way to go and a once in a lifetime experience. Some shore excursions are tailored to persons with mobility issues. Check them out at the X website or call them direct.

Having read the review, I think you have made a very good decision to move on. I doubt that any cruise line in the price range of Celebrity would satisfy you--there were just too many things you didn't like. Perhaps the number of complaints you had elicited Celebrity's response; however, I do think the line should have sent you a note, even if it said, "Sorry you were so dissatisfied, do try another line."

Having read the review, I think you have made a very good decision to move on. I doubt that any cruise line in the price range of Celebrity would satisfy you--there were just too many things you didn't like. Perhaps the number of complaints you had elicited Celebrity's response; however, I do think the line should have sent you a note, even if it said, "Sorry you were so dissatisfied, do try another line."

I should have written, "Celebrity's non-respobse." Apologies.

hi,

I am thinking the same thing at the moment.. and I will let you know soon I hope.. if I can get any response from celebrity..

we have booked and paid a deposit on a cruise in December this year on Celebrity Solstice, so still some 4 months away..

due to circumstances beyond my control, I have recently been laid off due to the company I had been working for " downsizing ",

now that I need to start a new job, I may not be able to get time away so close to Christmas with short notice for the new employer..

so we approached celerity about the possibility of postponing our cruise to a later date, and transferring the deposit over..

we initially called the " customer service " line, to be told.. point blank.. " NO"

NOTE: we do not want to cancel the trip, just postpone it..

plus at this early stage, no tickets have been issued yet..

I can understand if they wanted to charge a small administration fee to change the booking, but to simply say.. NO.. is giving us NO incentive to re-book with Celebrity again..

as you will see in my signature, we have cruised with other lines, that we have enjoyed, however, based on reviews that we had read about celebrity, and their " Great" customer service, we thought that we would give them a try..

I know that they have policies, and its not like we just changed our mind.. we want to take this cruise, and are disappointed that we may not be able to..

we have now emailed Celebrity to voice our disappointment at their lack of willingness to assist, and hope to get a response from them soon..

I will let you know

Archived