New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

I tried to post a rational process yesterday based on previous experience.... I won't bother repeating it.

What I thought would happen has and some will be OK with their lot and others won't ever be. All sorts will find a place in between.

There is simply no way that a ship of any line the size of the Millie that has been forced to stop a cruise in a place like Ketchikan and deal with over 2000 people that all have personal issues in a smooth manner. Then there is the next cruise.....and the next.....

At this point those up there should make sure they have extra food & drink for the plane trips or any trip off the ship. The rescue flts. may not have anything onboard So look after yourselves. It will be a lot easier to do that in Alaska than Mexico.

The money thing will or will not work itself out but either way it won't happen quick enough.

My experience with X after being in a similar situation in Mexico was that after everything settled down they were fairly easy to deal with and help us with our discounts and time an money issues.

Consider this. in 2005 when it happened. We got back our 3 days fare of cruising. ONLY. and We also got a 25% FCC. They did cover all hotel costs in Mexico/San Diego/ phone calls/meals while in transit etc.

We were the first cruise that was cancelled in progress that could not make it to a departure port. I believe that we were the last also until now (for pod issues)

So see the difference in how refunds are now ? The "Contract Rules" have not changed but the Company's thought process in their reimbursement amount has.

We thought we were disappointed. But the first folks we met in the elevator of our "Free" hotel in San Diego were three couples from the Eastern USA who were getting on the ship the next day to go to Hawaii. They got the bad news from US. (this was 2 days after we left the ship.

Thank heavens for this website and the internet. A lot more people will have advance notice this time around.

Thank you for this information....My "Emergency response, save my vacation" plan is going full speed. :eek::):)

Looks like a land based trip, is going to replace a cruise, this time around!

BILL

For those of us on the 9/13 cruise--I have some info on tours--WOK WIZ provided a FULL REFUND! So I told them I would post this GREAT EXAMPLE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE on CC. Hoping those of you who were joining us have the same experience. We will definitely do a tour with them when we are next in San Francisco!

Savor Seattle is not offering a refund, however they are offering 2 gift certificates valid for 1 year--this seems reasonable--just hope we can get up there to use them!

Wine Tour on 9/19--they will offer a 70% refund

For those of us on the 9/13 cruise--I have some info on tours--WOK WIZ provided a FULL REFUND! So I told them I would post this GREAT EXAMPLE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE on CC. Hoping those of you who were joining us have the same experience. We will definitely do a tour with them when we are next in San Francisco!

Savor Seattle is not offering a refund, however they are offering 2 gift certificates valid for 1 year--this seems reasonable--just hope we can get up there to use them!

Great idea to report these things! I suggest also putting on respective Ports of Call/West Coast Departures boards.

Jane

Adding to this...San Francisco Sunset Cruise booked through Viator -- 100% refund.

Alcatraz Tour booked through the official website -- 100% refund.

It looks like we'll be taking the train to Seattle...to extend my rental car one day and drop it off in Seattle would have cost over $1,000!:eek: That's OK, I like trains!

It looks like we'll be taking the train to Seattle...to extend my rental car one day and drop it off in Seattle would have cost over $1,000!:eek: That's OK, I like trains!

Train might still be best, but it is very often best to have two separate car rentals in this case - one for the "local" time and then a one-way, one-day rental. The one-day, one-way rental should cost you +-$200 for a day from Vancouver to Seattle.

The people at the Alaska Railroad Corp. (train from Anchorage to Seward) just credited me IN FULL for all everyone in my group......THAT is stepping up!!

For what it's worth, I just booked us all on the Oasis of the Seas out of Florida, leaving Saturday (24th) for a week........yes, red-eye flights out of LA and back BUT I'm going on a cruise and I need to make all my people happy!! JOIN US IF YOU CAN!!

The people at the Alaska Railroad Corp. (train from Anchorage to Seward) just credited me IN FULL for all everyone in my group......THAT is stepping up!!

For what it's worth, I just booked us all on the Oasis of the Seas out of Florida, leaving Saturday (24th) for a week........yes, red-eye flights out of LA and back BUT I'm going on a cruise and I need to make all my people happy!! JOIN US IF YOU CAN!!

Did you get a balcony or inside stateroom?

seemingly locked into a vacation time:

First, we sympathize.

Second, why don't you take news of this unavoidable change in your vacation plans with documentation (newspaper article plus your personal paperwork & flight schedule), to your immediate supervisor AND the personnel dept. CALMLY, NICELY ask if an exception can be made to the usual rules. Try to show them certain key aspects of your job will be covered before you leave and upon your return. Leave/have documentation of this.*

Then if they say 'yes', don't blab it all over the place!

In fact, if anyone asks, just say due to unforeseen circumstances you had to make a change (the truth!).

(Now retired, but have 42 years experience with such situations in corporate America, including a boss who agreed to an extended chunk of vacation of time due, and then in the middle of it, started bad mouthing and *threatening loss of the job. *Get approval from one layer up or HR too.)

Sadly I report that some procedures on board broke down as the assignments to the charter flights started. Some People with post tours beginning in Anchorage were being assigned charters going to Seattle or Vancouver. People began being very loud and aggressive from around ten last night long into the night. Also many of those who had been assigned Anchorage were told that they had to make their own hotel arrangements and that hotel rooms were scarce. Mild levels of panic ensued. Why Celebrity couldn't/wouldn't/didn't secure sufficient blocks if rooms in ANK is beyond me... Hotwire, orbitz and direct calls all showed a good supply of rooms still available. This has been disappointing. Too many tired people, too much uncertainty, unclear communication.

Sadly I report that some procedures on board broke down as the assignments to the charter flights started. Some People with post tours beginning in Anchorage were being assigned charters going to Seattle or Vancouver. People began being very loud and aggressive from around ten last night long into the night. Also many of those who had been assigned Anchorage were told that they had to make their own hotel arrangements and that hotel rooms were scarce. Mild levels of panic ensued. Why Celebrity couldn't/wouldn't/didn't secure sufficient blocks if rooms in ANK is beyond me... Hotwire, orbitz and direct calls all showed a good supply of rooms still available. This has been disappointing. Too many tired people, too much uncertainty, unclear communication.

I just wanted to tell you how much I've appreciated your reports. The information you provide helps all of us to understand that problem can and do happen. You information serves to make us smarter travelers. Thank you.

I just wanted to tell you how much I've appreciated your reports. The information you provide helps all of us to understand that problem can and do happen. You information serves to make us smarter travelers. Thank you.

We all agree, thank you so much...just curious why the president of Celebrity is incognito?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I see this on Celebrity's facebook page

"My relatives are about to board a flight from Australia early tomorrow morning to meet up with your Anchorage Cruise (Departs Fri 23 Aug) and have just been informed that your cruise has been cancelled. This is inadequate warning and the airtickets to get to your cruise are $6600 Australian dollars (non refundable). This has left them in the lurch - do you have a solution or will they have to pursue compensation? I am assuming there are many other worldwide passengers in the same situation. Surely airtickets should be refunded by your company when you have given such late notice. We required an answer ASAP to decide whether they even contemplate boarding a flight to Canada to a holiday that has been paid for but will not eventuate."

The only GOOD thing is that at least those still on a ship have a hotel room. It could have been worse and the ship caught fire and no power, food or services. I can see that a refund and FCC is of little value for those that planned a trip of a lifetime

:eek:

Hello,

Since Celebrity completely screwed us I am looking into Princess Diamond or the NCL Sun. Any recommendations one which one is better?

For the Aug 30th sailing:

The $200 credit they are giving is per person for the entire trip. I thought it may be per person per flight, I was wrong. The 25% off the next cruise is directly from corporate so asking for more is a waste of time.

Thanks

Hello,

Since Celebrity completely screwed us I am looking into Princess Diamond or the NCL Sun. Any recommendations one which one is better?

For the Aug 30th sailing:

The $200 credit they are giving is per person for the entire trip. I thought it may be per person per flight, I was wrong. The 25% off the next cruise is directly from corporate so asking for more is a waste of time.

Thanks

I would ask the question on the Princess and NCL boards. I would take Princess over NCL.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I bet nerves are frazzled and tempers are running short. Hang in there, and thanks for keeping us up to date!

Sadly, this is sounding more and more like our experience on the Century. Celebrity told everyone on board that they had to find their own hotel rooms; then they said they were providing busses for everyone to Barcelona and we had to find our own hotel rooms; when we got on the bus, we were told that celebrity had booked rooms, at their expense, for us for the night...somewhere in Barcelona and the driver would be told where to take us when he reached Barcelona.....if we wanted to get to the hotel that we had booked, we had to take a cab and celebrity wouldn't pay for it. We spent the night at the hilton which was fine...but inconsistent and wrong information abounded.

Sadly, some things never change. Celebrity just hasn't figured out "crisis management".

So sorry about all of this for all involved. :(

My long time TA has several people on this cruise and not all that was promised is being done helping them get home. Happily, she has been able to find them hotel rooms and flights home. They are tired.

LuLu

Archived