Celebrity looks after passengers after Millennium cruise cancelled

Celebrity Cancels Stranded Alaska Cruise Sailing

(1:52 p.m. EDT) -- Celebrity Cruises has canceled the remainder of Celebrity Millennium's Alaska sailing, after failing to resolve mechanical issues that stranded the ship in Ketchikan late Sunday. The line is providing chartered air out of Ketchikan, as well as a full refund and 100 percent future cruise credit.

"Our engineers, along with expert consultants from the motor's manufacturer, and our Marine Operations team in Miami, have continued working around the clock to resolve the mechanical issues onboard Celebrity Millennium," Cynthia Martinez, director of global corporate communications for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., told Cruise Critic. Royal Caribbean is the parent company of Celebrity.

"Together, they have been doing everything they can to fully determine the root cause of the problem. Regrettably, as of this time, they have been unable to find a satisfactory solution that would enable the ship to continue with its sailing."

Chartered flights, leaving directly from Ketchikan, will begin departing tomorrow, August 21. The line is flying in 30 members of its guest services team to help with arrangements.

All passengers will be given a full refund of their cruise fares, as well as a 100 percent future cruise certificate worth the cruise fare paid for the sailing.

Last week Millennium was stranded in Seward for four days after problems with a "propulsion unit."

--by Dori Saltzman, News Editor

Well Done, Celebrity.

With the increasing number of overseas cruise cancellations/non-delivery of cruises paid for (recent European river cruises), it is heartening to see Celebrity looking after their passengers, in this way.

And Millenium is due to come down here shortly.

We have friends booked on her from Honolulu to Sydney in October.

After that it heads to Asia for a season.

Millenium was one of the first ships to be built with the pod propulsion system,

and when it first started cruising was constantly breaking down.

It became a standing joke.

Looks like its still the same.

And Millenium is due to come down here shortly.

We have friends booked on her from Honolulu to Sydney in October.

After that it heads to Asia for a season.

Millenium was one of the first ships to be built with the pod propulsion system,

and when it first started cruising was constantly breaking down.

It became a standing joke.

Looks like its still the same.

Yes, they don't seem to be able to fix the pod propulsion problems.

"Originally Posted by Celebrity Cruises

Hi all,

We have important news for guests who are booked to sail on upcoming cruises on Celebrity Millennium. Please read this update.

A mechanical issue has made it necessary for us to perform unscheduled repairs on Celebrity Millennium. As a result, we are sorry to inform guests that we have had to cancel the following sailings:

• August 23, 2013 – cancelled

• August 30, 2013 – cancelled

• September 6, 2013 – cancelled

• September 13, 2013 – cancelled

We are deeply sorry for this unexpected and disappointing development in our guests’ upcoming vacation.

If you are booked on one of the cancelled sailings, Celebrity Cruises will provide you with a full, 100% refund. For your convenience, all monies paid will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment within the next three weeks. Celebrity Cruises will also provide you with a future cruise certificate. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Cruises.

Guests booked on the August 23 sailing may call 1-888-829-4050 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48846.

Guests booked on the August 30, September 6 and September 13 sailing may call 1-888-281-9343 for additional information. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1-305-539-6000 ext. 48155.

Please accept our sincere apology for your inconvenience. We hope to welcome you aboard soon."

Must be a major problem with four additional cruises cancelled.

Well, reasonable to current passengers. But I wouldn't say very generous to other passengers of the cancelled cruises, including the one leaving in two days.

Most Australians are likely in transit to that one now. All they will find is that the cruise is cancelled and they get a refund. They then have 50% of the cost as credit for a future cruise.

However, whether you've started the flights or not, they are not covering any of those costs, nor any other non-refundable costs such as accommodation. Cruising is expensive, but the other parts of a holiday, especially from Australia are also expensive.

It's quite likely that the 50% cost will only cover the cost you lost from this trip. And then you'd be up for the flights, balance of cruise cost and accommodation again for the next trip. I don't think people will be looking too positively at their treatment there - so can only hope they improve the offer.

There have been lots of cruise specials on the Honolulu to Sydney leg later in the year. I trust all those who have booked have taken out insurance .

In my experience this is where your insurance kicks in to cover any shortfall that the cancelling company does not cover. Unfortunately even your money back does not rid you of the disappointment of your holiday being scrapped. :(

At least X in this case is offering some compensation towards the next cruise to at least alleviate some of the disappointment.:D

We are affected by the cancelltions of these cruises.

We had booked B2B ...... they've cancelled the first cruise but not the Panama Canal one.

Now we have to get from Vancouver down to San Diego, plus fill in 9 nights ........ so "NO" the refund from the cruise will not cover all of these expenses!!!!!!!

So no I'm not happy. :(

We had booked B2B ...... they've cancelled the first cruise but not the Panama Canal one.

Now we have to get from Vancouver down to San Diego, plus fill in 9 nights ........ so "NO" the refund from the cruise will not cover all of these expenses!!!!!!!

Celebrity should be picking up the tab for your flight costs to join your second cruise and the 9 day gap. Can you find an alternative cruise to fill the gap?

I remember it was Millenium that hit underwater rocks whilst at anchor in Villefranche a few years ago, damaging the pods.

Jill

Yes, we were booked on that one, and found out our cruise was cancelled 2 days before sailing. Ended up spending 2 weeks on a land holiday instead of the cruise as it was too late to book another cruise.

Yes, I can see many being disappointed and out of pocket like yourself.

This has a PR disaster in the making, given the number of cruises cancelled, and limited compensation.

I suspect the offer may be enhanced given how much bad press they will get if they don't.

Is it possible to get onto the solstice which is going from Seattle to San Diego I think the departure day.:D

Yes, we were booked on that one, and found out our cruise was cancelled 2 days before sailing. Ended up spending 2 weeks on a land holiday instead of the cruise as it was too late to book another cruise.

I hope you had travel insurance to cover any costs incurred.:D

Celebrity should be picking up the tab for your flight costs to join your second cruise and the 9 day gap. Can you find an alternative cruise to fill the gap?

Hi Jill, our TA is going in to bat for us, but I'm not holding my breath on getting anything.:rolleyes: Not able to find a cruise that will fit with our dates or location.

That's no good Merrilyn.Is there no way you can get compensation for having to find your own way from Vancouver to San Diego?

Time will tell !!!!

Jill

Is it possible to get onto the solstice which is going from Seattle to San Diego I think the departure day.:D

That cruise was pretty well sold out, and now I believe is completely gone. Anyway what was left price wise was :eek:

Reading some of the stories on here, what a mess for those people who have had their cruise cancelled. Very difficult for those who have travelled a long distance, and then had their holiday plans destroyed.

Celebrity cruises need to do more for the passengers, a bit difficult for people to just head home.

Reading some of the stories on here, what a mess for those people who have had their cruise cancelled. Very difficult for those who have travelled a long distance, and then had their holiday plans destroyed.

Celebrity cruises need to do more for the passengers, a bit difficult for people to just head home.

This is very true. At this point many are getting quite tired and having problems with travel arrangements ....

LuLu

~~~~~

Very true, I have a contingency plan if something or another causes this sort of issue. The only problem is that sometimes those plans cost a lot more due to booking at the last minute or their availability has gone as well.:D