best place for viewing glacier bay on STAR princess?

sandycruzr

Hi

I am sailing from Seattle to Alaska in a few weeks on the Star Princess.

Does anyone have suggestions for a great place on the ship to view glacier bay and take photos?

Unfortunately we booked a few days ago and sadly all balcony cabins were sold out so we need to find a good public place.

Thanks for your help.

Also, I would appreciate any other "Star" tips you might have.

:)

The best viewing of Glacier Bay by far is to get on the upper decks outside both forward and aft. The bay is many miles long and takes the good part of the day to get from the entrance to the Margerie Glacier and back.

If it is cool and you want to be inside, I recommend going up into the elevated Skywalkers Lounge on the back of the ship. The views are spectacular. This is also a great location to sit on any day and just relax, read or visit with friends and family on the ship.

The Star is an awesome ship! Don't fret if you cannot get a balcony, there are many public rooms and spaces to see Alaska. Enjoy

Happy Cruising:D:D

Upper decks. You will have lots of time to wander around, drink coffee, or other beverages. Also Deck 8 all the way forward on the bow. Go out onto the deck 7 promenade and walk up the forward steps to deck 8. This area is covered in case of rain. Views from most balconies are limited, you can't get the full 360 view from there. As stated Skywalker's is also nice, but window seats could be crowded.

If you are taking photos, Skywalkers doesn't work.

There are some decks in front of the ship. I went out there and we were the only ones there. Can't remember if it was all the way forward on Baja or Caribe. Went all the way forward, through a door which had crew quarters and out a door to the deck. I really think this was on Caribe. We were the only ones there. It was windy but panoramic. Did this four years ago . Just off the Star a couple of weeks ago. had a balcony, so spent more time there. Promenade deck was crowded in the rear area and walking along the deck, didn't get great photos because deck was covered.We had incredible weather. By the aft Pool, also got great photos.

Anywhere outside is fine, you really want to move around and not limit youself to one spot. For pictuers find a location where you don't have to shoot thru glass. Personally I like being on the promenade deck, it's usually less crowded and you can find a spot to sit down and relax and watch the view go by. Note that as soon as the Capatin starts to turn around and head back out the decks empty and being high and aft is a great spot out of the wind with unobstructed views.

Best viewing is from on top of the bridge. Not open when in regular sailing, but will probably be open for the slow speeds in Glacier Bay.

Go forward on the outside of deck 15 around the Spa area to get access.

I will tell you but you have to promise not to tell anyone. :p

First, I want to say thank you to Jasperdo for posting this picture.

Our Alaska cruise was freezing cold. We went to the upstairs area of the Calypso pool (where it was nice and warm) and turned the chairs around to face the outside. There was a door right in front of us where we could go in and out whenever we wanted. But you have to get there early. Check out post #3.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1774095&highlight=calypso+pool+on+star+princess

Archived