Flying to FLL day of Cruise?

cspryor

Am I crazy? Yes, I know I am but I found a flight arriving in FLL at 10:30 AM the day my cruise departs. I would love to save the money on the hotel the night before--but we still have to leave VERY early in the morning!

Can I do this? It looks like the airport is quite close to the cruise port!

I have only cruised out of Port Canaveral, and I did fly in the day of the cruise and it worked out, so maybe I am just "cocky!!"

Am I crazy? Yes, I know I am but I found a flight arriving in FLL at 10:30 AM the day my cruise departs. I would love to save the money on the hotel the night before--but we still have to leave VERY early in the morning!

I have only cruised out of Port Canaveral, and I did fly in the day of the cruise and it worked out, so maybe I am just "cocky!!"

When?

Umm, which two words to express my thoughts. No way. Trip insurance. You're kidding. Think again.

I don't have the nerves of steel it would take to risk it. I have experienced many delays, mechanical issues, weather problems and lost bags. Last week alone it took 45 minute for my luggage to be offloaded. Flight the week before that was cancelled altogether due to weather and I got home 12 hours late, my suitcase 24 hours after me.

My advice? Go the day before, get a cheap hotel by the airport and don't risk losing thousands you've already spent to have a good time.

On the other hand, the answer to your question is that the port is very close to the airport.

If you arrive on time, you will have no problem. I see you are from OH. What time of year will you be traveling? Snow or weather delays? Do you have a non-stop flight? Or will you face possible delays with connecting flights?

When flying in the day of a cruise, you definitely want to take all of the above into consideration. Once you land in FLL, you can collect your luggage and be at the port in an hour.

Do you really need the stress of worrying about a cancelled/late/mechanical problem/strike etc. on the day of your cruise? Even if you don't think weather is a concern in your area, you never know where your plane might originate. Flights have been cut back so much in the last few years, too, so getting another flight might not be easy. There are just too many variables to take a chance. Also you mentioned that you'd have to leave very early. By the time you get to the ship you'll be too tired to enjoy the first day of your trip. Go early, and you can get to the ship stress free.

Others have flown in the day of the cruise and made it on time. I wouldn't take the chance.

Flying/cruising in mid-April... Hopefully won't have snow delays! Although you never know :-(

Flying from Detroit...looking at that 10:23 arrival but means being at the airport at 5 am!

In 2010 we landed in Orlando the morning and had to get to Port Canaveral (which is about 45 mins-hour away) and made it just fine, but I think we landed about 9:30 am.

Just weighing the options!

I would not fly in the day of the cruise.

There are too many things that can go wrong. This includes flight cancellation or a major delay due to:

Weather

Mechanical Issues

Airline or FAA Computer Glitch

Security Breach at Airport

Security Breach on Plane

Insufficient Flight Personnel

And a variety of other issues.

While you might be OK if one of these things happens to you I can assure you will never fly in the day of the cruise.

Also remember that you must board 90 minutes prior to the start of the cruise.

I used to fly regularly throughout my career. I have seen almost everything that one can see that could go wrong.

Do yourself a favor and fly in the day before. Aside from the benefit I spoke about it will make for a very relaxing day when you board the ship.

Keith

Flying/cruising in mid-April... Hopefully won't have snow delays! Although you never know :-(

Flying from Detroit...looking at that 10:23 arrival but means being at the airport at 5 am!

In 2010 we landed in Orlando the morning and had to get to Port Canaveral (which is about 45 mins-hour away) and made it just fine, but I think we landed about 9:30 am.

Just weighing the options!

Another thing to consider, besides all the possible delay issues, is that early airport time. We did that a couple of times, and ended up too tired to enjoy the sail-a-way excitement.

We now spend a few extra dollars for the hotel, and arrive at the ship well rested, stress free, and ready to roll!

Come on people...give the OP a break...many arrive day of cruise on early morning flights...Not everyone can or budget for a pre-cruise arrival...In the many years we have cruised in March taking redeye flights from LAX we haven't had a problem (and please don't say it..I've heard it)... the OP is flying in mid April from OH and arriving into FLL...Should be eating lunch in the WJ by noon with no problem...Hopefully none of you naysayer's will ever have to make the same day arrival decision...how lucky for you, but please stop scaring everyone else to death....JMHO and experience...No need to get carried away with the flame thrower's as some of us "can" disagree with you ;):)

I agree with Ashalnd! I would not choose to do it, prefer the peace of getting in one day early, but I have done it at least five times. One time, we sailed out of FLL after flying into MIA the same morning on a connecting flight from Virginia with my 3 children in tow. We are sometimes tied to schedules, we are not all retired folks!

Hi

they asked for advice.. Thunder storms, wind, where the plane is coming from. No flames her bit someone spending 3,000-6,000 on a cruise can find a extra 200-300 for a hotel room. People take chances every day. But do you want to spend the first day of your cruise stuck at airport and all flights are full?. a few years ago people were flying from Boston to LA in April on Saturday. some of them got out on Wednesday the rest did not. Its was school vacation week and all flights were booked. This happens every year in North east airports. all seasons. You have been lucky

Mary

Hi

they asked for advice.. Thunder storms' date=' wind, where the plane is coming from. No flames her bit someone spending 3,000-6,000 on a cruise can find a extra 200-300 for a hotel room. People take chances every day. But do you want to spend the first day of your cruise stuck at airport and all flights are full?. a few years ago people were flying from Boston to LA in April on Saturday. some of them got out on Wednesday the rest did not. Its was school vacation week and all flights were booked. This happens every year in North east airports. all seasons. You have been lucky

Mary[/quote']

Not always a $$ issue...it's a time factor for some..Why is that so hard to be understanding about :confused::confused:

In the end, you need to figure this one out.

Some will say it will be fine. I won't because if you are on the unlucky plane that is late you may miss your cruise.

Some will say buy insurance. That is a good idea anyway but if you miss the ship it may take a couple of days to catch it and insurance doesn't make your vacation right.

It doesn't matter if you flew nine times without a problem. Once this happens to you then you will kick yourself for not flying in early.

Flying today is not like it was years ago with extra planes sitting idle and many flying half full.

Good luck with your decision. If it was me I would never chance flying in the day of the cruise.

Keith

Thanks for all the feedback!

Yes, I know I am taking my life into my hands flying in the day of, I was more wondering about the location and travel from the airport to the port and is that trip doable in about an hour (depending on luggage arrival and so on!)

Time is also a factor and I have work wrapping up that Friday (cruise leaves Saturday) because I am a teacher and that Saturday the cruise leaves starts my spring break. And, I have to get my young children to the in-laws because this is an parents only cruise.

I think I am convinced that we will fly down the day before, and at the moment that is what we are planning!

Archived