Oceania vs Crystal

hypercafe

Much as I like Oceania in general I dislike any cruise line where it is necessary to make restaurant reservations in advance. How do I know six months in advance what night I will want Italian food, or a steak or French food or Asian food? True luxury is being able to reserve on board, perhaps 48 hours in advance and having no trouble getting a table.

Much as I like Oceania in general I dislike any cruise line where it is necessary to make restaurant reservations in advance. How do I know six months in advance what night I will want Italian food, or a steak or French food or Asian food? True luxury is being able to reserve on board, perhaps 48 hours in advance and having no trouble getting a table.

If you are flexable and open to share ,you can, I think most times get reservations same day to 48 hours out...

The sheer number of options along with the flexable open seating is a winner over Crystal rather limited and structured options, great as they may be.

And what ships are you talking about where you can get a reservation for any one of four restaurants 48 hours in advance all the time with no problem? I would like to know so we can try them.:)

Are you saying that reservations are entirely unavailable during an Oceania cruise?

Are you saying that reservations are entirely unavailable during an Oceania cruise?

No - plenty on my Nautica cruise made reservations at short notice, and in fact on the first night the GDR was full and the Maître d' sent my friend and I to eat in the Polo Grill as there were empty tables there.

From our personal experience in 10 years on Oceania cruises, we haven't had real problems getting specialty restaurant reservations. This was true before they had online booking available as well as currently.

But I've read plenty of reports here at CC that indicate that people indeed have had problems at times. I have to assume that is more likely to happen on well-sold cruises. (Unless perhaps there are a majority people on less crowded cruises who want the specialty restaurants.)

There are also many of us who tend not to use all of our allotted reservations. It's the luck of the draw as to what kind of passenger is sailing with you.

Right now I'm having booking a table for 6 in Red Ginger on a particular night on the Nov 20th cruise on Marina. One problem is that one couple isn't supposed to be able to book until Sept. 6th. One of the other couples is in a VS, has paid the fare, but the system has a glitch that says they haven't. And finally when we ask for assistance at Oceania, they say there aren't any more 6 person tables for that evening at 6:30. I don't doubt that if we ask our butler to find us a table when we board, he will be able to do so. But we'd like to know in advance!

However, it certainly is not a deal breaker. And as of yesterday when I last checked availability, there is plenty on this particular cruise.

If I can't prebook that table, we'll do so when we board ... and if we have to switch to another night, that's okay, too.

Mura

RJB,

Seabourn. And only one of its restaurants (R2) requires reservations at all to be made in advance. The others are all open seating. And on Silversea you make your specialty restaurant reservations upon boarding. At least that is closer to the date of dining than 90, 60 or 45 days in advance. Or six months.

RJB,

Seabourn. And only one of its restaurants (R2) requires reservations at all to be made in advance. The others are all open seating. And on Silversea you make your specialty restaurant reservations upon boarding. At least that is closer to the date of dining than 90, 60 or 45 days in advance. Or six months.

Agree that booking in advance can be problematic, but, IMO, so can booking when you get on board. Passengers boarding Silversea when they open boarding get first choice. If you do not arrive to the ship until later in the afternoon, your choices are obviously not as good. On the other hand, I prefer first come first served over priority reservations.

After sailing for many years on Crystal last year we cruised on Oceania's Marina and decided to change from Crystal to Oceania and will be doing our second Marina sailing this month.

Despite some advantages on Crystal vs Oceania's Marina and Riviera the size of the rooms on B, C, D and E categories in Crystal vs the lower category rooms on Marina/Riviera and the variety of dining venues on Marina/Riviera made the difference for me.

I will miss the Bistro, the Promenade deck and the staff but the Marina staff is also great from the GM to the night cleaning crew.

Both are great lines but they are going in different directions. Crystal has remained with two older ships and no plans to built a new one while Oceania has two state of the art new ships.You can dry dock and upgrade the ship all you want but the size of the cabin can not be increased and the dining venues are Prego and Silk Road against Jaques, Red Ginger,Toscana and Polo Grill.

The Culinary Center in Marina/Riviera is excellent

Regarding classes of cruisers in Oceania I don't underestand the complaint. Crystal has buttler service as does Oceania and you pay extra for any benefits you may receive from them.

I always sailed in the Symphony in cabin 7072 because it was the lowest fare available "E" and had no obstruction even though it was clasified obstructed view.Why pay C price for an identical cabin.

Every one of us has different likes and dislikes and we need to decide which line gives us what we are looking for with their itineraries, the ship and the staff.

Paco

I think it is fun to try new ships and lines, part of the fun for us is exploring new stuff. Funny, I just booked a Crystal Panama canal trip in a room 6 doors down from 7072, small world. I think Oceania is a very good line and it looks like Crystal is also.

After sailing for many years on Crystal last year we cruised on Oceania's Marina and decided to change from Crystal to Oceania and will be doing our second Marina sailing this month.

Despite some advantages on Crystal vs Oceania's Marina and Riviera the size of the rooms on B, C, D and E categories in Crystal vs the lower category rooms on Marina/Riviera and the variety of dining venues on Marina/Riviera made the difference for me.

I will miss the Bistro, the Promenade deck and the staff but the Marina staff is also great from the GM to the night cleaning crew.

Both are great lines but they are going in different directions. Crystal has remained with two older ships and no plans to built a new one while Oceania has two state of the art new ships.You can dry dock and upgrade the ship all you want but the size of the cabin can not be increased and the dining venues are Prego and Silk Road against Jaques, Red Ginger,Toscana and Polo Grill.

Regarding classes of cruisers in Oceania I don't underestand the complaint. Crystal has buttler service as does Oceania and you pay extra for any benefits you may receive from them.

I always sailed in the Symphony in cabin 7072 because it was the lowest fare available "E" and had no obstruction even though it was clasified obstructed view.Why pay C price for an identical cabin.

Every one of us has different likes and dislikes and we need to decide which line gives us what we are looking for with their itineraries, the ship and the staff.

Paco

Hello my friend Paco,

I don't disagree with anything that you have said. We love The Bistro, Avenue Saloon, the promenade deck , the enrichment and entertainment , and the warm service on Crystal. We also enjoyed our time on the Riviera, especially the dining, and have booked a British Isles cruise on The Marina for next summer. I also love 7072, and the smaller cabins on Crystal have never been an issue for us. With a good itinerary, I would be happy to sail either line. Speaking of itineraries, check out Crystal's Antarctica cruises scheduled for Jan. 2016.

Regards

Danny nice to hear from you. The main reason I have a problem with the Crystal cabin is because of my Parkinson's. I need as much space as possible to move at night.

We cruised Antarctica a few years ago aboard the Symphony going Around the Horn from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires and loved every day. Spectacular views on the Chilean fiords, Antarctica, the Patagonia, the Peninsula Valdes etc. You will love it.

Paco

RJB,

and i agree on that as well

during my last cruise on the Quest they were tryring " special wines by the glass" ;) in the Colonnade - prices ranging from 8 to 25 $

if i noticed wines i like - being single - i went to eat on the Colonnade that day ( not on the evening with Thai food :D )

Paco

i went to Oceania because i do heavily oppose all the changes by the senior vice president of C after the "all in " on Crystal

ranging from no chocolates , caviar policy , no nice buffets , poor canapes on parties , even cheap mineral waters well in short a long list of small and not so small details .

i felt also insulted by one of the crystal society hostesses

i am very aware a nlot op Crystal people do take nuissance on mentionning it but facts are facts - and i do not have problems saying that service was still very good.

however being single i cannot do Oceania on expensive cruises charging simply double - still a great bonus on Crystal

so instead of doing 4 crystals a year i became like a "dancer" going from one line to another when a special for singles is due to happen...

cancelling perrier and san pellegrino will reduce the loss ...:rolleyes:

and regulars do see all of it :eek:

and another style of pax is taking over :drink as much as possible :mad:

and former loyals are not happy :(

however some are accepting everything ... :p

We had great experiences aboard Crystal ships for many years and every time we were looking forward to meeting the crew and staff on board. They made us feel like family.

My relationship with LA was not very good and I did not agree with many of their decisions. As an example: They did not offer last year short cruises to the Med and the presales on the long cruises were weak so they decided to split larger cruises into two parts offering a cheaper rate than the regulars were paying to the new cruisers. This was bad planning by not having short cruises like most of the other lines and horrible treatment of their regulars charging them a higher rate.

I also had a problem with their price structure mainly with the lack of consistency in prices in the lower categories. It was posted by me in a thread last year if anyone wants to read it.

My point with the losses is that the parent company in Japan is willing to loose money as long as they are the top rated and award winner cruise company but if the LA "managers" continue to affect the ability of the staff on board to provide the best service possible they will fall from grace with their regular cruisers and will force Japan to make a decision to sell to the highest bid.

The difference in ratings between the top four cruise lines in Travel & Leisure is very small and don't be surprise if we have a new Queen of the 7 seas next time.

Paco

i also was VERY happy with the people on board especially in the bars and in the dining room

after my 4th cruise on C in 2012 i wrote a letter by email with 19 issues , saying that i did not want any kind of gift, free item discounts or similar

never received a serious reply , only a standard reply of a few lines saying that they felt sorry about my comments...

i also was VERY happy with the people on board especially in the bars and in the dining room

after my 4th cruise on C in 2012 i wrote a letter by email with 19 issues , saying that i did not want any kind of gift, free item discounts or similar

never received a serious reply , only a standard reply of a few lines saying that they felt sorry about my comments...

i've done 17 on C so far - last year i did 4 in line.

i've done 17 on C so far - last year i did 4 in line.

Has anyone noticed the odd influx, during the past few weeks, of dissatisfied, dispossessed luxury line passengers who are terribly anxious to rehash the problems which led them to disown their "previous favorites"? :rolleyes:

Archived